Author Topic: Motorcycle Race/speed shop in Central Florida?  (Read 8115 times)

Offline Paul O

• New folks
  • PO3 Racing/Ace Performance
Motorcycle Race/speed shop in Central Florida?
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »
Hey folks,

I ran my bike at Maxton this past Sept for the first time and had a great time. Great bunch of folks and the most fun I've had in a long time.  And y'all probably ruined me... now I want to go faster, and nitrous comes to mind.  Can anyone recommend a shop in the central Florida area that does install work with nitrous systems?  Give me a tool and I'll break something, so I need to take it to someone.  The area of Daytona to Orlando to Cocoa Beach is my local area, but I'll certainly take it further to get it to a good shop if need be.   I appreciate any suggestions--

Paul   
"There are bold aviators and old aviators, but no bold, old aviators."

I suspect this applies to Land Speed Racers as well...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle Race/speed shop in Central Florida?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »
Well, it's not very near you -- but you might consider Lee's Performance in north suburban Charlotte, NC.  Lee races at Maxton frequently, and Dave Owen -- another Maxton regular -- works for Lee, so you'd get that extra kind of experience by using his shop.  They're quite familiar with nitrous bikes -- build 'em for the street all the time, and Lee has built lots of nitrous bikes for the track, too.  Better still is that if you have an issue you're close to the shop -- drop the hurt bike off on the way home, pick it up on your way to the next event.

www.leesperformance.com (I think that's his addy).

There is a good handful of racers from the Georgia area -- maybe one of them will chime in with a shop in that part of the world -- nearer you, although still not in your back yard.  Sometimes you've got to forgo convenience to find a builder that has experience in the style of riding you want to do.  It might be a long ride -- but it's easier to make that long ride when you know you've got someone who knows what he's doing and is doing it just for you, not the average Joe on the street.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »
Scott Guthrie lives down there in the swamp and probably knows all of the bike shops. Just a thought. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »
MPS Racing in Sanford does a lot of nitrous work with dragbikes, can sell, install and tune any type of nitrous system you need.

http://www.mpsracing.com/

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
yep slim is right Lee's can build your motor and you can drop it off at his shop after it blows up... heck slim how many times did your lee's motor blow up? I'm suprised he wouldnt just transport it back to his shop after it blew up for ya... Dave Owens did my expanded ecu for my Busa... finally tossed it after it made less hp than the stocker... and i will add a lot less... thanks for the new box Scott Horner... I have delt with MPS... good people.... LSR N0S is way different that drag race N0S.. ya might do a search on this site as this horse has been beaten here alot here...
kent

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »
Hey, Kent, I only blew up a couple or three of Lee's motors, and once he really did load the bike into his pickup and take it back to the shop for me.  That's service!  A few months after is when I went to the shop and picked up the still-untouched bike and moved it to the guy that's building engines for us now.

Nonetheless, maybe my experience was atypical, so I thought I'd offer a suggestion of someone that has spent time in the LSR field.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Paul O

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations; I'll keep looking and hope there are more shops out there and near by, but even the two that came up are a 200% increase over where I was.  I figured this community was the place to ask!  thanks again--  Paul

stayt`ie

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 03:06:47 AM »
g`day slim,, was that your zx12 motor that broke?, if so what broke?,,, in the last fourteen months i have spun the big end bearing on #2 rod, three times on my strocked 204mph zx12, was wondering if you have experienced the same problem :?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
(Answered by PM).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline THE ICE MAN

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »
Hey folks,

I ran my bike at Maxton this past Sept for the first time and had a great time. Great bunch of folks and the most fun I've had in a long time.  And y'all probably ruined me... now I want to go faster, and nitrous comes to mind.  Can anyone recommend a shop in the central Florida area that does install work with nitrous systems?  Give me a tool and I'll break something, so I need to take it to someone.  The area of Daytona to Orlando to Cocoa Beach is my local area, but I'll certainly take it further to get it to a good shop if need be.   I appreciate any suggestions--

Paul   

I am in Ft.Lauderdale FL. if your interested in setting your bike up to go faster.
Sal.
AcePerformanceRacing.com
AcePerformanceRacing.com
39 records @ Maxton  in 10 LSR Events.
650,1000,1350,1650,2000,3000,3001+ G&F classes.
Top speed 236.96 mph.

Offline Paul O

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »
Sal,  thanks for the reply.  Someone else pointed me in your direction and I've been looking at your website a bit.  I'll give you a call!

Paul

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
ronni
we used to have problems with the kawi zx10 and zx11 rods... usually #3... we redesigned the oil supply to the main bearing cap that feeds #3 and it helped... i also drill extra oil feed holes into the main bearing shells to feed and clean the oil out of the rods and that solved the problems... i run the main bearing clearances to spec and the rods 1 shell loose.... now if i can only keep the carillo bolts from breaking..LOL...
kent

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »
Check out KWS motorsports. A bit of a drive for you but worth it.  Slim must like pain because he has had some problems [rods outside the block] with Lee's motors in the past. Ask him who's motor he's running now. Dan Rudd at MPS in Sanford can set you up with NOS. Good guy who knows sportbike NOS
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:35:52 PM by Rick Roberts »
ECTA 200 Club