Author Topic: Brackets fabrication and fun stuff  (Read 20972 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Brackets fabrication and fun stuff
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 02:35:24 AM »
Willie:

Just as a point of interest I now tig the inside on headers and braze the outside using the tig with silicone bronze. I found in the past if the headers were stressed at all there was a tendency to crack at the weld by the flange. Since I went to brazing there's been no problem.

Pete

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips Willie. I have been wrestling with a design of a rear brake pedal for the Gray Ghost, and the light went on after seeing some of your work. Its that kind of imagination and craftsmenship that makes walking around the pits so much fun and energizing. I've been operating the rear brake with a handlebar master cyl. Maybe now I can get both front and rear done, then we'll be legit for Maxton, and the local drag race spots.
Thanks again for the time and effort to post all those pictures. Nicely done.

Uncle Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
..........and braze the outside using the tig with silicone bronze..............Pete

I got some of that rod after Rex S. on here suggested trying it with the tig.  I haven't yet.  What is the procedure??  Any tricks?? etc.??  Do I use the torch just like I would with gas and then flow it in there?? 

Thanks,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »
hey sum  ive been using bronze silica rod for years --use it with your tig all of the adj. is the same as steel just a little less heat its kind of like gas brazing but with elect. just before the puddle forms add some rod thats how i use it --its great for some header work and it takes viberation real well --i use it a lot on thin sheet metal --just remember though if you use it its very hard to grind out and go to steel rod  i will do something on the brackets and other fun stuff tonight   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
.......--i use it a lot on thin sheet metal .........willie buchta

Thanks, that is what Rex said he likes it for also.  I'll have to try it.

Did you get the e-mail with the tanks on E-bay that was sent to me and passed on to you??

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
hey sum   yes i did   thanks

the rod is silicon bronze its a copper manganese alloy. its made for welding copper silica alloys, copper alloys, and many sheet metal applications employing plain or galvanized steel. requires the use of argon. the pieces i welded together in the pics is .050 and the rod was .060 which is a little big but its all i had. it works well in high vibration areas. i wouldnt use it for anything structual. when you use it turn the heat way down and just before you get a puddle dip the rod. its kind of a braizing process not a welding process. once you start using it youll find a thousand uses for it. its low heat so less warpage. it bends real well too as you can see in the pics. just be careful not to mix it with your steel rod. if you grab it accidently and weld something that you didnt want to its very hard to grind it out and go back to steel rod. it will always be contaminated with the silica bronze.
willie buchta

ps  sheri and i are headed to la tonight for the big gear grinders banquet  hope to see all you gear grinders there...
happy easter
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:32:33 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »
Thanks the pictures help.  So it looks like you are actually forming a bead at the junction of the two metals.  I didn't know if it was going to be more like sweating two pieces together like in a copper pipe joint.  I'll try it in the next few days and will be back.

You have probably left, but if not the two of you have fun,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »
Sum:

It's just like brazing with oxy-acetylene and a torch except you have a lot more control and the result is generally neater.

Pete

Offline willieworld

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
no im still here will leave at midnight--dont judge me on neatness today was about my 60 day in the shop without a day off  o forgot i did get a day off i drove to L.A. for the scta banquet--sum try low heat and very little rod i think you will like it   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »
I agree Willie. On the headers I tend to make the fillet a little larger and concave as I'm trying to spread out the stresses and add some support. So far it seems to have been successful.

Pete