Author Topic: Brackets fabrication and fun stuff  (Read 20974 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: Brackets fabrication and fun stuff
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
Well kids, I made Willie work late today and he built my speedometer bracket. The pics kind of tell the story..If you follow the steps there is a couple of things that are different. There are three holes that overlap. They were all done with a drill. The big center hole was done with a step drill. If you don't have any of these you need to add a couple to your tool box. He bent the bracket in the vise just by beating it with a hammer. If you look close you can see the vise marks on the bracket. Thats ok cause when we tear the bike down before paint and final assembly, we'll clean all that up. In the last pic it looks like the bracket is crooked but its not it's the way the top triple tree was made. If you back up one pic you'll see it.This type of bracket can be used for a tach, speedo, rear view mirror, shift light, etc. Willie said if you guys have any tips or tricks, chime in any time you like. Or if you have any requests let him know.

Happy motoring...
Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 11:16:52 PM »
a few more pics

Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
Frog pirate from Washington needed a battery hold down built. He's building a B-last. He's posting on "Yet another blast!Project  600cc " under the build diaries. He posted a "blueprint" Hope all his measurements are right. I just decided to build it for brackets fabrication and fun stuff. So here goes.
I didn't have a big enough scrap so I welded two scraps together. I drew out the pattern according to Frog pirates measurements -rough cut it out - cleaned up the weld - and went back and scribed it out accurately - cut it all out - made all the bends - I made all the bends on the brake except the small tab - I cut three sides out with a small cutoff wheel - I clamped it to the workbench and bent the tab over with a flat chisel and hammer - The rest of the bends I did on a brake but it could have all been done over the edge of the workbench with a hammer and clamp - I'm going to send it to Frog pirate on Monday - so toward the end of the week we'll find out if it fits - I didn't beautify the piece I figured I would let Frog pirate do that his self - heres the pics
willie buchta

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:02:29 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 03:06:01 PM »
Here are the other pics.

willie buchta #349b
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline nitropyro

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »
man you do some nice fab work sir. you have a fan here!
Danny

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »
Looks great Willie, I can't wait to try it on the bike! I'll post pictures in my build diary of it in place.
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline rustyT

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
willie
If I draw a pattern of  a new G-force trans, can you build and send it to me in the next few days :-D
On the realistic side,Im still waiting for my saw blade material,hope to have it soon,I have a few things to build with it, I will let you know when it does.Thanks for shareing with us.
 Thanks,Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 11:52:52 PM »
Not a problem Phil   Maybe I can build you some saw blades too
 8-)

By the way, did you get bi-metal or tri-metal blades. Whoever you get your blades from should have a blade speed chart for different materials. And the soap you should use,which I found was the best, is irish spring or a candle(wax).

willie buchta 349b
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:56:00 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 12:08:29 AM »
.............And the soap you should use,which I found was the best, is irish spring ................willie buchta 349b

I think you just like watching those cute little things jump out of the Irish spring bottle  :-P ,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »
the soap you should use,which I found was the best, is irish spring

willie buchta 349b

Leaves the parts with a manly scent, and the ladies like it too....
Willie, you keep up the good work, see you on the salt....  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline rustyT

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »
Willie
I ordered the bimetal bade material,could barely afford that,it is $253.00 from enco,I couldnt find trimetal,just as well,prob couldnt fit in my budget,I ordered 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch so thats a fair chunk for me.I will let you know how it works. By the way,I have a tube that looks like a grease cartridge but it is really lube for metal blades,drills,etc. Its like a stick of wax-like stuff,it works well,but probably not any better than irish spring, and it damn sure doesnt smell as good  :-D Oh well no women in my shop to impress. Thanks for considering the trans thing.
                                    Thanks again,Phil.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Today we built a set of headers. We used two U bends and about 4 feet of straight pipe. We fabricated a wedge to shape the end of the pipe. You just drive it in with a hammer. Here are the pics.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:23 AM »
The next pics are the tubing in the flange, the tubing welded in the flange, the four tubes welded together and more welding.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »
The next pics are of the tubes welded and cleaned up and a tool made to flare the collector to fit the pipes. The tool was made out of some scrap tubing and its pounded into the tube to form the collector. The last pic is the collector formed.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 01:17:10 AM »
The last three pics are of the collector on the pipes and everything all welded up and ground down. The headers sand blasted with a heat shield that I found from a road king muffler. The project took about 4 hours including making the piece to form the pipe and making the piece to form the collector. The material was about 10.00 for the straight pieces,16.00 for the U bends and the customer supplied the flange and the collector was actually an old harley muffler.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta