Author Topic: Brackets fabrication and fun stuff  (Read 20976 times)

Offline willieworld

Brackets fabrication and fun stuff
« on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »
I moved to this site because it was taking up too much space on my wifes build diary. What I'm going to try to do as I build my wifes bike, my bike and a bike for Eric Ross. Things that are simple to make and inexpensive. Some things I know you can buy cheaper than you can make, small brackets and such. Most of the race shops have a good supply of bracketry. Beyond that you either have pay someone to make it or you can make it yourself. Especially if you live in a small rural area as opposed to a big city. If you look under the build diaries under not just another wheel on a stick you will find a posting of some brackets that I made pretty simple.Cut them out sand them down drill some holes minimal amount of tools.
So Here goes. These are some clamps that I build for all kinds of things. This is going to be for, well you'll see.
You're going to need some scrap tubing diameter optional. Some 3/16 or 1/8 inch plate depending on what strength is required for you. I use 1 3/4 od 120 wall tube and 1/4 inch cold roll plate. I'll explain it all in the pics.
1. Cut off a piece of tubing. Square the ends and cut about 1/4 inch slot out of the side of the tubing. The tubing that I had was too big for the fork tube I had to make the id smaller I did that with a brass hammer on the vise. Alot of light blows is better than one heavy blow. Turn the tubing as you beat on it to keep it round.

willie buchta  349b  next year - 2008 - #9
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Re: Brackets fabrication and fun stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
After you have sliced the side of the tubing and get it to the id that you need make sure that the slot is sufficient for clamping room. Then cut out two strips of metal  5/8 wide and as long as your tube, in my case 1 3/4 inches. I use 1/4 inch strips because I wanted to tap the material and not use a nut. Thinner wouldn't have worked. OK now the two strips of material that you cut out, clamp them together with a piece of scrap in between. Tack both ends of the strips to your tubing and then weld it up solid. Now go get a beer and let it cool off.
Willie Buchta  349b   next year - 2008 - #9
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
ok now that you got it welded together figure out where you want the holes center punch them and drill them. If you want to tap one side drill both plates out with an I drill then drill one side out with a 5/16 drill using that side as a guide tap out the I side that you drilled with a 5/16 - 24 tap. Find some bolts for it and nows your chance to sand and file and grind and make it look pretty and than your ready to go to the next step.
willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:29:13 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »
Went into the house to get a cup of coffee and while I was gone that piece must have metalplied. Cause when I got back there was three of them. Anyway at this point if you have two of them you can put them over your fork tubes and weld some handlebar material to them and have a nice set of adjustable clip ons. I am going to do that later for Sheri's bike but right now I am going to use one for a steering dampener clamp bracket thing. So you want to make an arm. I usually make it so you can weld it on to the tube of the clamp you just made and I usually put a couple of holes in the arm for adjustment. You can always cut off the ones you don't like later.
willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
ok you got it all welded up now is your chance to pull it apart and clean it up and sandblast it chrome plate it paint it whatever you like. You'll see some pics mounted on the bike the other brackets for the frame I still have to make, But if you look at all the pics you'll get the idea. There are many uses for this style clamp. And if you wanted to you could cut the tube in half and put double brackets on it so that you could put it around a tube that wasn't open ended. The two on Sheri's bike that are on the forktubes above the top triple tree(I usually mount the handlebars to the top triple tree but in this case the triple tree was not very strong and I didn't want to make it weaker by drilling holes in it and it's easier to make the brackets that I made instead of building a new top triple tree.)will have one inch tubing welded to them which will become the handlebars. Which are infinately adjustable. A good thing. Thanks for not posting in the middle of all this my computer got cooties. If you guys want to post thats cool, but I am going to try to do some more stuff like this on this site and as I go it will get more complicated. All the parts made here could have been made with simple hand tools and a bandsaw or scrollsaw with the exception of the welding. And I know that you might be able to buy some of these parts cheaper than what you could make them for but you won't have the satisfaction. And as the parts become more complicated you definately won't be able to buy them.

willie buchta  349b - 2008 - #9

ps i posted a pic of an example   its on a planishing hammer that i built
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:56:12 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:03:55 AM »
Hey those are nice.  Makes me want to drag one of my bikes out and build something for them.  Only problem is Kent won't let me take off time from the lakester.  Shaun and I did put a 305 sbc I had into his '73 Z car tonight.  Of course at this point it is just sitting in there, but maybe this weekend will get further along.

Keep the ideas coming Willie,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »
ok kids today i was making a part to mount sheris side car on her bike and i took a couple of pics to show you something
what i am going to do is put a heim joint in the end of a tube   the heim joint is 5/8 fine thread the tube is 1 1/4 od and 1 inch id so a sleeve had to be made  i made the sleeve out of a piece of solid bar i drilled and tapped it out on the lathe  i turned the od down till it slid on the tube  the sleeve is extra long because i like extra long threads that way they wont pull out   mark and center punch the tube in four places from the end of the tube to about half the distance of the sleeve  if the sleeve is one inch long mark the tube a half inch from the end -drill the holes in the tube- put the sleeve in the tube so its flush on the end and weld up all the holes making sure you get penetration into the interior plug  if you weld up all four holes with good penetration it should be strong enough to hold but i always weld the end up because it keeps out moisture   the pics should tell the story i usually make the hole twice as thick as the tube wall thickness   this was 1/8 inch wall so i made the holes 1/4 inch
willie buchta 349b  2008 - #9

ps if you click on the pics in this posting they should enlarge x2
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:49:42 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
the other two pics
willie buchta
i also posted another  pic as an example--see what that bonneville salt does
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:51:02 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:00:47 AM »
Salt/Rust.............use Kal-Gard ....30/30.................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
More fun stuff.
A couple posts ago I made these clamps and today I had a couple of minutes and welded a couple pieces of scrap tubing to them and made a set of handlebars out of them for Sheri's bike. The nice thing about clip-ons is that they are infinatley adjustable just by loosening a couple of bolts. And if you find out later on that they are too short, you can weld tubing on them and make them any length you want. I didn't build these all at one time, so I probably have a total of maybe a  hour of labor. In my shop I don't work by the hour I bid the job. But there are some shops in my area that do excellant work for probably less than $80.00 an hour for labor. These handlebars, clamps the whole shabang could be made in one hour. I'm not sure if they are worth $80.00 but thats only an hour tv program. So make these clamps or watch tv for an hour. It's your choice.
If somebody wants to pay $80.00 plus material, which is about $6.00, I'll gladly make them and you can watch tv for that hour.

willie buchta 349b
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:05:40 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »
a few more pics

willie buchta 349b
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 08:42:21 PM »
stubbing out your bars at a flat 90 will put your hands on an uncomfortable angle, it will twist your wrist outward and your elbows will follow...we build all of ours at a 15 or 22 deg downward angle. 15 is what most sportbikes use and is a comfortable straight arm angle. 20 deg is the same angle as yamaha tz250's and most racebikes it helps pull your elbows in and forces a tuck.. i use a board track style on my bikes that are almost verticle...
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
hey kent--- the bars angle down 18.8 degrees and back 15 degrees--  its kind of hard to see in the pics --thats the nice thing about this setup its totally adjustable--i may take you upon your offer to look at some plans for a hub center steer ive looked all over and cant find one-- i will be in your neighborhood the end of jan for the banquet  thanks willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
Brake pedal -  this will work on any kind of bike or car for that matter - Just draw out the patterns any scrap metal  the tubing that I used was 1 1/4 od so it will slide over a 1 inch footpeg - I cut it down to 3/4 inch length and squared it up on the lathe - you can do the same thing with a grinder if you are careful - Once you got the pieces cut out and cleaned up put them the way you want and weld them together - drill a couple of holes for the master cylinder heim joint or clevice whatever you have and put on the bike - one more thing done.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:13 PM »
more pics
willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta