Author Topic: Tech help needed - Gas Tank Location and a few more ??  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Tech help needed - Gas Tank Location and a few more ??
« on: December 30, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Hello,  I have read the 2007 rule boom from cover to cover twice and have yet to find an answer to a few questions

I am building a 1933 Ford Victoria ( sedan) the stock location for the gas tank is at the rear of the car, between the rear frame rails but outside the body.  1932-1934 Fords have tha gas tank back there and fuel from the outside rear of the car.

1. Can I keep the tank in the stock location ?

I am planning on an 8 point cage (the book says 1 5/8 tubing with .095 wall)

2.  Should I use 1  5/8 DOM .120  or step up to  1 3/4 .120  DOM ?   The car is glass and the extra cage weight should not be a problem.
(with .120 wall even at the bends it should still spec well over .095 ? )

3. At Maxton what is the procedure to verify small block chevy cubic inches (they all look the same from the outside)  Do I need my engine builder to document any thing ?

4. My engine will run on 93 pump gas  (but will prefer race gas )  Am I allowed to use my own gas or must I arrive with an empty tank and buy it at the track ?  Also what do you sell at the track ?

5. On a closed car is a driver window net required ?

6. My car has stock type suicide doors is that going to be a problem ?

7. The book says metal firewall,, my car is glass, will I need to put a alum. or steel plate on the inside firewall?\

Sorry for so many questions, but I have a lot of work to do to be ready in April and the last thing I want is to show up in the tech line and be embarrased or worse...

Thanks

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline t russell

Re: Tech help needed - Gas Tank Location and a few more ??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »
Go to the ecta site join the yahoo site, click on files there are some tech. sheets.That and a rule book are the only way to build.
As far as fuel gos you need the fuel staff to seal your tank.
you must have full coverage of the door opening.(net )
As for the fire wall it will need plating (steel) when the worst happens you dont want it in side withe the driver.
doors ok
How fast do you want to go ? build the saftey stuff for 25mph more.
Good luck
Terry

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »
TR, thanks for the info. I can't find the tech sheets. 

Are you saying when I open my drivers door I have to have a net that covers the "entire" opening? Door floor sill to roof ? Top to Bottom and left to right ?

If so where do I buy a net and mounting hardware that big approx  35"x35" ?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:45:05 PM by Cajun Kid »
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:49:25 PM »
If you have aSCTA-BNI rule book there are advertisers in the back which will make one for you. The easiest way is to make it out of butcher paper, fold it up and send it to them after talking to them. DJ Safety has "window nets" in their ad. I'm sure others all over the country can do the same thing...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57:42 PM »
Hey J Six,

Thanks,  I just wanted to confirm the "window net"  has to be the entire size of the door opening, not just the size of the window..?

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Randy Williams

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 12:05:30 AM »

Hello,  I have read the 2007 rule boom from cover to cover twice and have yet to find an answer to a few questions

I am building a 1933 Ford Victoria ( sedan) the stock location for the gas tank is at the rear of the car, between the rear frame rails but outside the body.  1932-1934 Fords have tha gas tank back there and fuel from the outside rear of the car.

1. Can I keep the tank in the stock location ?
What speed range? If you plan to go faster than 150 at some point put a Fuel Cell in it!

I am planning on an 8 point cage (the book says 1 5/8 tubing with .095 wall)
          are you sure?

2.  Should I use 1  5/8 DOM .120  or step up to  1 3/4 .120  DOM ?   The car is glass and the extra cage weight should not be a problem.
(with .120 wall even at the bends it should still spec well over .095 ? )
   Go with the 1 3/4  X .134 as you have a Glass body. Make sure you put a X in the top of your cage.

3. At Maxton what is the procedure to verify small block chevy cubic inches (they all look the same from the outside)  Do I need my engine builder to document any thing ?
  [b They use the same thing as the NHRA ( PUMP). You might want to get a Log Book.

4. My engine will run on 93 pump gas  (but will prefer race gas )  Am I allowed to use my own gas or must I arrive with an empty tank and buy it at the track ?  Also what do you sell at the track ?

5. On a closed car is a driver window net required ?
    Yes. It must cover the whole door opening, Call Joe @ Delaware Chassis Works for your net.

6. My car has stock type suicide doors is that going to be a problem ?
     No.

7. The book says metal firewall,, my car is glass, will I need to put a alum. or steel plate on the inside firewall?\
  Not sure about the inside but it's a must on the engine side. You might want to cover the toe boards as well.

Sorry for so many questions, but I have a lot of work to do to be ready in April and the last thing I want is to show up in the tech line and be embarrased or worse...

Thanks

Charles

[/quote]

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:43:56 AM »
Thanks Randy,

The class record in E/CGALT last I saw was 112.xx mph.  Since my car is a ground up new build I am building the cage / safety equip to 200+ mph specs so I can go to the salt in the Fall...Some event like the 130 / 150 club runs. ?? For Maxton,  I would guess that my initial expectation is to run just under 125mph, then see if the lil 255 cu in. small block can go 149 mph.

I watched and looked at a bunch of cars in the  C, D and E  class and never noticed the "full coverage" window nets.. 

The E class and speeds below 150mph don't seem to require the "cage"... But sice I am starting from scratch and it's a glass car, I feel everyone who has relied and suggested the full type cage is right and I will go with safety first, speed second.

Thanks  again.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT