Author Topic: 2006 Pontiac GTO build  (Read 16461 times)

birdmanf16

2006 Pontiac GTO build
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
Well....here goes....I'm turning a perfectly good car into a race car!  My goal is to hit 200.000001 mph with the Goat, not break any class records.  I've read the 07 rule book, but being a dumb fighter pilot, I could use some assistance in interpretation. :? As most already know, the Goat comes stock with a 400hp LS2 motor and a Tremec 6 speed transmission.  I've done some research and I've come up with a plan of attack for an attempt at the 200mph red hat.  I've calculated the hp required for the car to be in the 560rwhp range for a c/d of .31 and the front surface area.  The gearing for the car allows for a theoretical top speed of about 230mph.  I'm looking at about 5300rpm at 200mph.  Here is what I've done to the car so far and please chime in with any advice to keep me heading in the right direction!
1.  Motor:  Stock bottom end LS2 with the following power adders:  S+ cam from HPE (4000-6500rpm peak power cam), ported throttle body, ported intake, stage 3 ported stock 243 heads, high volume oil pump, high pressure fuel pump, CAI, double roller timing chain.  Tuned it will should yield 460rwhp.  I also have a 150 wet shot of nitrous with all the safety parts which will bring me over 600rwhp.  The problem here is that I can only safely use the NO2 for up to 15 seconds....so when is the best time to use it?  Any inputs/techniques on this problem would be appreciated!
2.  Suspension:  Pedders Track II with 1" lowering in front and 1/2" in the back.  This is an Aussie after market suspension that feels real good.  I track the car regularly and it performs about as well as a stock C5/C6 vette.  This suspension was used by MTI for the 1 mile shootout 2 years ago with the MTI GTO, Ligenfelter Vette and Hennessey Viper.  The MTI GTO hit 195mph in the mile but had to shut down early due to a turbo problem.  Driver said car felt solid at 195mph. 
3.  Body mods:  Only thing different than stock will be a JHP lip spoiler that will generate some down force to keep the ass end down at high speed and to delete the drag of the crappy plastic stock spoiler.
4.  Tires:  I'm planning on 245/40 ZR17 (99Y) Michelin pilot sport cup comp tires 186mph+ and tested to over 200mph. 
5.  Roll cage and roof rail gets put in on 6 Feb.
6.  Kirky 17" series 47 racing seats with right and left side aluminum head supports attached, 5 point harness with arm and leg restraints.
7.  Fuel cell with roll over shutoff and kill switch
8.  Drive shaft loops
9.  Fire suppression for interior and motor
10. parachute and mounts
11. Metal valve on tires
12. After market slotted brake rotors, racing pads, and ss brake lines.
13. All the approved safety gear....harness, suit, helmet etc.

Here are some questions for you experienced guys....
1.  What class do I need to build the car for....always a good first question!
2.  Do I need a modified firewall?
3.  Do I need a break away steering wheel?
4.  Do I need 1" lugs?
5.  Can I run on the stock wheels if they are reinforced by welding?
6.  Is the Nitrous a bad idea because of the "fuels" class vs. gasoline?
7.  Can I leave the dash and door panels in the car?

I suppose a lot of these questions will be answered when I know for sure what class to build for....Thanks!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: 2006 Pontiac GTO build
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:45:37 PM »
Hey Birdman
It may be a Goat to you fellas but that's what we call a Monaro over here in Oz as the body was a local GM Holden design done I think by a guy called Simcoe....great to see you taking it to that level. You only get a Red Hat if you break an existing record OVER 200mph , I'm not sure what the mark is in your class but I'd guess it would be way over 2 by now....

I'll leave the rest of your q's to the better informed......

top work , keep us up to date....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

birdmanf16

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:58:18 PM »
Yeah, great job by Holden on the Monaro....I love this car.  Best GM product I've ever owned and I can't wait for the G8!  Thanks for the red hat info....did not know that.  I'll have to settle for the satisfaction of having one of the fastest GTO/Monaro's around (with the LS2!). 

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
Here are some questions for you experienced guys....
1.  What class do I need to build the car for....always a good first question!
2.  Do I need a modified firewall?
3.  Do I need a break away steering wheel?
4.  Do I need 1" lugs?
5.  Can I run on the stock wheels if they are reinforced by welding?
6.  Is the Nitrous a bad idea because of the "fuels" class vs. gasoline?
7.  Can I leave the dash and door panels in the car?

Not really experienced but:

1. the car can be ALT or PRO
2. The firewall needs to be sealed, fire puddy any holes.
3. No
4. Depends on wheel size...bigger is better and there cheap.
5. Yes
6. apples and oranges
7. Yes

Ive been wrong before and someone will say something here is wrong Im sure!

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:32:43 PM »
To get a RED HAT requires you set a record, not just go over 200.001 mph. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »
You guys from OZ will be tickled to know that there's a regular (record holding) Landracing competitor here in So Cal- the North Eastern part of OUR state  ( Ausifornia or Califstralia ) -  that has added as much Holden Monaro trim as he could find on his GTO-

I've driven it- GREAT CAR!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 10:36:46 PM »
 ...Mr Turk will attest to this ...here...we call a Camaro a , wait for it , C'm- R -Oh , where the middle bit sounds like "Ahhhhhhh".......whereas to you guys it's a Cam-air-oh......likewise it's M'n-R-oh when you say Monaro here

I just know you blokes are saying " bull-F#@&*%ing s&*% , that's Moh-Nair-Oh!"..........

I have a '73 ( mine is often referred to as a "Nomaro" because it's a 4 door)and the good Colonel has a somewhat valuable '67

what you say SSS?.................

btw Jack , a septic just one( er I think I mean "won" ...came oneth) the Sydney to Hobart in a tub called "Rosebud" , and no he wouldn't elaborate on the origin of the name......... :roll:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:42:05 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 11:53:36 PM »
Dr.  you have a good ear for yer OZ lingo- woulda thought you couldn't have heard it.

Talking of US pronunciations- there's places here, like West Virginia, Alabama,  for instance,  especially out of the cities, and IN  metropolitan New York/New Jersey that folks speech would be hard for a native Californian like yers truly to understand!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »
Whaddayamean linguine-oh , Gedouda here! :-D

birdmanf16

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »
Any thoughts on the nitrous....I'm thinking about sending the kit back from some of the reading I've been doing.  Sorry about the red hat goal.....seems to be a touchy subject.  :-D

birdmanf16

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »
What class would I fall in without the nitrous?  Thanks!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 01:02:12 PM »
What class would I fall in without the nitrous?  Thanks

There are timed classes you can run in most categories:

GAS
FUEL
BLOWN GAS
BLOWN FUEL

The lack of No2 does not make the car gas, this is when you use any one of several supplied event fuels and nothing else.

If you run No2, nitro, alkey or your own magical blend this will put you in the fuel class.

If your motor is 364ci this will put you in C engine class (C= 306-373ci).

I am not sure but I think the car can run in Comp coupe as well.

Get a rule book if you don’t already and see what records you think you have the money and skills to beat.
The car you have chosen is not a bad choice; it can be made to get you your hat.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

birdmanf16

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 01:23:28 PM »
Thanks for the input!  I've read the rule book a couple of times....but it looks like I need to really study this thing to figure it out.  I can understand this quote:  "If you run No2, nitro, alkey or your own magical blend this will put you in the fuel class".....if I run No2 I'm a fuels guy, blown or not....easy.  But this one leaves me saying huh? "The lack of No2 does not make the car gas, this is when you use any one of several supplied event fuels and nothing else."  If I show up with my car and it is not No2 and I have a full tank of Shell 92 octane, I'm still a fuel guy?  I suppose you have to use fuel supplied at the event to be a gas car to prevent guys from mixing fuel and cheating?   Sorry about my newbie questions....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 02:11:13 PM »
The red hat (that is, 200 MPH Club) subject isn't a "touchy" one -- as much as a commonly misunderstood subject by those new to (or outside of) land speed racing.  I'm forever explaining to folks the "not just go 200, but set a record over 200" story.

To qualify for membership in any of the 2 Clubs the racer must break an existing record over 200 mph, set a new record over 200 (assuming there wasn't one before now), or exceed the established minimum (if there is one) set by the 200 MPH Club that he is trying to enter.  For the Bonneville 200 MPH Club you can see the records/minimums by going to their site - www.bonneville200mph.org I think.  I note that the site is getting a freshening over the next few days, so be patient if you can't bring it up and into focus right this very moment.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »
The lack of No2 does not make the car gas, this is when you use any one of several supplied event fuels and nothing else."  If I show up with my car and it is not No2 and I have a full tank of Shell 92 octane, I'm still a fuel guy?  I suppose you have to use fuel supplied at the event to be a gas car to prevent guys from mixing fuel and cheating?   Sorry about my newbie questions

No worries about the questions, better to ask then to not know.

To be in the gas class you must run any of the ERC racing fuels (they bring about 8 I think) and nothing else.

They will inspect your tank, add the fuel and put a seal on it.

Now you are in gas class providing you don’t have any other method of inducing anything else in the fuel system (methanol for instance in a water injection system, No2 or anything else).

No No2 and Shell 92 WILL put you in fuel class, even though it is not a good as the supplied fuels there is no way of sight testing the 92 to see if it was not a nuclear blend of explosive compounds.

Basically if you want to run gas, you will use the event gas.
If you want to run in the Fuel class run what you bring.

*Andres Segovia