Author Topic: The Long Road For The Salt Queen  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Ray Gun

• New folks
    • Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle
The Long Road For The Salt Queen
« on: December 29, 2007, 10:50:36 AM »
So, here are a few photographs of what we're starting with for our attempt at building a lakes car.  The body is a 1935 Ford Five Window Coupe.  My partner found it in a creek bed!  All of the bad sheet metal (what's left) is being replaced before we start the chassis.  I've already grafted in new lower quarter panels and rebuilt the lower "B" pillars.  about 6"-8" of the bottom of each quarter and "B" pillar was completely gone!  At first when Chad (my partner) showed me photographs of the car, I said, "you've got to be kidding.  That thing is really far gone."  His reply, "well, we want to be known for saving sheet metal that others would turn away.  Here you go."  How could I argue with that.

I've also gotten the entire rear window and a portion of the rear section of the roof to replace the rotten existing one.  We're going to chop the car anyway, and you have to quarter the roof on these cars to do that.  So grafting in a different rear window section won't be much different from a normal chop.

We also scored a Winters Quickchange over the summer at a swap meet.  We're going to send it off to Winters to have the aluminum tubes changed to steel ones, as well as change the offset pinion to a centered one with new axle shafts.

All of the 4130 tubing is here for the tube chassis.  So, like I said, we're just waiting on two things.  Me to have enough time away from customer builds to work on it, and the transmission adapter bell.

Never forget you can always cut more of your car away to fit a bigger engine.

Offline Ray Gun

• New folks
    • Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle
Re: The Long Road For The Salt Queen
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »
Here's the quick change as we bought it:

And a cross section of another crank shaft.  The engine building wanted to know just how much we could actually offset grind the crank (after we told him about the guys in the early '60's offset grinding the 430 motors and using Poncho rods to stroke one).  So we bought another 430 (the 430 and the 462 share the same crank, just different bores) for $50.00 and sawed the crank in half at a rod journal.  That journal is 2.600! You can see that the oil passage for the rod from the counter weight hardly penetrates the journal.  We'll be going (if the block can be machined for clearance for the rod) to 2.200.  Big block Chevy rods are the most plentiful on the shelf rod, and off the greatest selection of rod lengths.  So we should have no problem getting the right length.  We may also end up going to RB Chrysler rods if the right length can be found.  The journal size is slightly larger, 2.375".  But may work better.  I'd really like to go to the 2.200 of the BBC if we could.  Bearing speed will be much slower with that diameter.

Never forget you can always cut more of your car away to fit a bigger engine.

Offline power58

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
Welcome to the list RayGun ! The car looks great. Best of luck with your project. I visited the Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle shop on 1/19/2008 with a few buddys.  Kevin gave us a tour, and it was very impressive. Really liked the ranger Aircraft engine thats going to be transplanted into a Hot Rod. Is The 430 one of the Lincoln Merauder engines Kevin told us about ?  Salt Queen will be a fine  Lakes car when you get done. You work at an Outstanding shop that builds fantastic Hot Rods. Also a Big Fan of the Hunnert Car Pile up. Glad you are on the list. Looking forward to hearing about Salt Queens Progress.
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:17 PM »
My kind of guys - buy a crank and immediatly cut it right up just to see how it's built!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931