Author Topic: The chute door ..................  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: The chute door ..................
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 09:04:11 PM »
Sum are you going to make 08????
I ask because its looking close.

Very nice BTW, dont stop.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
I just have seen the video.

I can not tell from the vid but I am concerned that the doors may have issues opening at speed because of the air pressure. I am sure you have this worked out. BTW if you could get them to hold open at 45 degrees at speed I could see a very affective air brake….similar to 411.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »
I just have seen the video.

I can not tell from the vid but I am concerned that the doors may have issues opening at speed because of the air pressure. I am sure you have this worked out. BTW if you could get them to hold open at 45 degrees at speed I could see a very affective air brake….similar to 411.

I'm sure hoping to make at least one meet in '08 with the car running.  Regardless I plan on having it at Speed Week even if it isn't running to go through tech.

I'm trying not to have the doors act as an air brake due to all the strength involved to do that.  It is hard to see, but the way I have the hinges designed the front of the door (froward on the car) opens a little earlier that the rear.  Then the rear catches up and at full open the rear is about 7/8 to1 inch further apart than the fronts.  The fronts open to about 11 1/4 inches wide and the rear right at 12 inches wide.  Through most of their opening they remain parallel to the center line of the car.  I'm hoping a little air will get in there and help in the opening or at least try and keep the aero forces in neutral territory on the inside surface and outside surface of the door.  They will be skinned on both sides.

Mike (Ack Attack) told me if I understood right that he believes that even if the doors were not pulled open by the spring, but were just unlatched they would open due to the aero pressures back there.  I guess we could theorize this to death, so the test will just have to come at speed.  If I can get the car over 100 mph the first year with the stock small motor I'll be happy.  Anything over that will be a bonus, so it's not like these doors have to work at over 200 mph the first year since there is no possibility of being anywhere close to those speeds with what I'm running to begin with.

Thanks for all the comments everyone,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:04 AM »

I'm sure hoping to make at least one meet in '08 with the car running.  Regardless I plan on having it at Speed Week even if it isn't running to go through tech.

If I can get the car over 100 mph the first year with the stock small motor I'll be happy.  Anything over that will be a bonus...

Sum, I'm betting on 164  :-D , get back to work and keep up the good work.  Testing is the fun part  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hitz

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 01:41:48 AM »

Sum,

I hope S Steel is right.

My cardiologist says I should go at least 150 MPH with a internally stock Saturn.? :roll:

Maybe we can bet an O'Douls on closest to the record in each class or something!

Whoa!! Maybe I should check the records first. :-)

Harv

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:57:48 AM by hitz »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
O'duals.?..whats that?....is that some kinda new exhaust..?...
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 01:53:53 PM »

Sum,

I hope S Steel is right.

My cardiologist says I should go at least 150 MPH with a internally stock Saturn.? :roll:

Maybe we can bet an O'Douls on closest to the record in each class or something!

Whoa!! Maybe I should check the records first. :-)

Harv

Hey if you are closer it will be a beer and a dinner from me.  I owe you guys one anyway and don't pay attention to that kent guy  :-P ,

Sum