Author Topic: New to ECTA / Test and Tune / Rookie Orientation ?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
New to ECTA / Test and Tune / Rookie Orientation ?
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:18:22 PM »
Well The new year is about here  and ECTA should have my 2008 Membership form and fee by now.  I am in the process of getting my car number too... woo hoo... I hope I get the car done for April.

I do have a few questions.

1. Does Maxton have any test and tune track days in 2008 ?
2. Is there a rookie meeting the Friday afternoon before the event? (I am a rookie to LSR but have past race experiance in cars and on bikes)
3. On an average day with average turn out  how many passes can a car make (5 , 7 10 ??)
4. How much longer is a Snell 2000 rating good for on my helmet? (usually 10 years to 2010 ? )

Any of you fine racers live near Winston Salem NC ?

Thanks

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: New to ECTA / Test and Tune / Rookie Orientation ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
Yes, the test and tune days are the event days.  Okay, so no, not really a t-and-t day, but because there are five events per year -- you can get in a good number of runs.  The first event is the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge -- and you'll probably find you're not able to make more than a few runs due to the amount of entries.  Other event -- you should be able to squeeze in four or five a day.  No limits are imposed other than by the folks in line in front of you.

Rookie orientation is 5PM Friday (I think it's 5) and Saturday at noon, and also other times as neccesary.

See above -- two or three if there are lots of entries, ten or twenty if not many racers show up.  The late June event is called the "Bonneville Tune-Up event"-- it's the last one before we head out west, but it's also the one that usually has the hottest, muggiest weather -- and quite a few folks don't go racing.  So maybe you can get in more runs then.

SCTA/ECTA rules allow helmets to run for ten years, so a Snell 2000 will be okay in 2009, but not in 2010.

As for W-S NS -- no, but we go through there on our way to Maxton.  Usually burned out by then, having been on the road already for over a thousand miles.  We'll wave as we go past, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
SSS, have you made your travel plans for April?  Maybe we can caravan part of the way.

We got our number, 9598.  Firesuit is the last big item left - well, if you don't count actually finishing the car - lol.  We can always run the stock engine and trans we have and put the big dog in the hunt at a later meet.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 04:29:27 PM »
Well, no plans yet -- but we usually go over to the Mackinac Bridge then down to Toledo, over to I-77, and straight down from there.  If we're going to pick up the bikes -- we'll go straight east from Toledo to eastern Pennsylvania before heading south.

Not that we're trying to be antisocial -- but going down through Wisconsin and Illinois adds quite a bit of miles and time to the trip.  Wanna meet around Toledo -- that's an option. . .

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:41:49 PM »
SSS  thanks for the info...

If all goes well I should make the April meet.  Hope to make at least 3 license runs then. Assuming one big "IF"  the car will go over 150mph.  I under stand the first license is up to 124.99  then up to 149.99 then up to 174.99  am I correct ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »
so slim... just try in to figger out if i'm comfused or if your confused but i always thought the fastest way to maxton from the great white north is through Kentucky and tenn... how does eastern penn make a shorter trip for ya..?
kent

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
Eastern PA detour is to visit Mike, our engine builder.  It is definitely longer than going by way of KY/WVa or whatever.  But -- it takes less time for us to go to Toledo, then east to Cleveland/Akron then take I-77 all the way down to NC.  We used to go through the middle of Ohio -- but the highways have lots of small towns and stoplights that way, and I-77 has neither.  And -- if we go all the way through KY to Tennessee -- we end up on I-40 and play tag with heavy traffic through all the mountains and stuff.

Nope, our present way seems to be the best.  And with five events a year, each 1,200 miles (each way) from home -- we've had many opportunities to try 'em all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »
Ky and Tenn. do not have mountains......those are little hills...........mountains are further West!!

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »
Ky and Tenn. do not have mountains......those are little hills...........mountains are further West!!

Are you sure that you are not from TEXAS where everything is bigger :lol:

I will agree with you that there are a lot more mountains in the west, but don't gauge the mountains in the east just by their overall elevation, there are quite a few here in the east that have very steep and long grades, including in Tennessee check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_24_in_Tennessee

Being retired now after over 30 years in the trucking business where I traveled all over the US and parts of Canada, I know first hand about grades from the east to the west. While I didn't drive the BIG ones myself.........

I sure helped with the move http://hometown.aol.com/iamflagman/page1.html

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:39:06 AM by iamflagman »
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!