Author Topic: Where is it written???  (Read 8641 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Where is it written???
« on: December 21, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
The SCTA rule updates still says -12<36" for MS front ends.

Is it 27 or 36?????
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Where is it written???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »
It is 27 inches and I will send you a copy of the board decision.
Ain't a message board grand ? :-D
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
Depends on where you are getting the update from.

On Landracing.com main page are the confirmed rule changes right on the front page - As for the MS section you stated upon.

"5.D.4 Modified Sports - /BFMS, /FMS, /BGMS, GMS
Streamlining ahead of and including the cowl, channeling, belly pan and skirts is allowed. Front tread width may be narrowed to a minimum of 27 in. Removal of minor trim and bumpers is allowed as long as the body is not altered in length, width or contour. Spoilers as defined in Section 4.CC.6 are allowed. Windshields may be lowered or removed. Coupe tops may be chopped. "

As of Today December 21st : The rules on the SCTA website are the PRE-BOARD approved changes.. Which means that is what went in front of the board. The actuall approved changes are posted on Landracing.com.

I got a copy of the approved changes Dec 10, 2007 and were promptly posted to Landracing.com.

But I guess when in doubt and I quote from Speedweek, "The SCTA-BNI website is the most accurate and up to date information", I guess you could email someone there and get an "Official" answer, or Dan frequents the boards and is a huge asset to this website, maybe he will comment on the correct rule  :)

Jon

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:53:54 PM by landracing »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »
I suspect that a quote from the SCTA Board discussion will soon be available for all to read here.

"Sometimes a ruling that defines "how high", needs a bit of "why" , so as to explain it, and the subject entrant can arrive at the same conclusion the rulers already have. " :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

landracing

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »
Board meeting information on that rule.

"8.     Dan Warner presented a proposed rewording of the Mod Sports rule about front end tread width recommendations.  He had determined that currently running cars holding records in active competition would be “outlawed” by the propose change.  Specifically the Berkley (Benham built, Keith Turk raced) only has a tread width of 27 inches and the rule change had proposed a minimum of 36 inches or 12 inches less than stock – which ever was greater.  In light of this situation, dan was proposing to make the minimum 27 inches and forget the “less than stock phrase”.  Mike Manghelli motioned and Bob Webb seconded that the words be changed to reflect only the 27 inch minimum, and omit the reference to stock tread width.  The motion passes six in favor and one opposed."

We don't call Dan Warner "Dan the man" for nothing, wait that was "Dan, Dan the beer man"

Jon
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:20:04 PM by landracing »

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »
Thanks JD

And for everyones help.

-JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline jackson

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 06:40:18 PM »
Thank you Dan!!!  It would have been a ton of work for us to get over 36" without ending up with a big scrub radius.  Recent discussions on this site have scared me about my possible fixes.  As far as the body goes, we are running the stock width in the front, but we never dreamed that a tread width could ever be an issue.  This will allow us to worry about more important things.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
Jackson. The reason was people were considering putting Al Teague, Flatfire front ends under MS's. Glad it worked for you.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »
The reason was people were considering putting Al Teague, Flatfire front ends under MS's

"People" = me.

;)

Again, I am very happy with the 27”updated rule, it’s fair, easy to understand, does not mess with current record holding cars or cars running.

Clearly a good decision.

I had originally presented the idea of inline wheels here to get some feedback, because as the rule for MS front ends was written “streamlining ahead of and including the cowl” means that inline wheels would be legal. After hearing that I should consider something else I got the point that a rule would be amended to prevent inline wheels.

I am grateful that the people responsible were looking out for me. I will say that if I built the car with inlines and then they had an issue would mean that I would have to rebuild the car….again, that would suck.

*Andres Segovia

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
The real success comes with the publication of your ideas here and with them came a suitable response to something they never thought of.
What would happen if 5 MS entries all showed up that were built to the letter of the rules that featured 0 track width.

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »
JH,

You can stop patting yourself on the back now. Miller and I had already begun the process to limit front tread before your posting.

DW

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 12:25:51 AM »
No S*#t DW.

If I was going to "pat myself on the back" it would be because I have giant, flaming nuts. Not because a rule change prevented me from building a narrow front.

I never clamed I was the reason, only that I was affected.

*Andres Segovia

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 01:28:21 AM »
The change has been made on the SCTA website. It now reflects what was discussed and voted on at the December 2007 SCTA Board meeting. It is now written.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
The reason was people were considering putting Al Teague, Flatfire front ends under MS's - JD

"People" = me. " - JH

Please forgive me if I misread this to mean that you were the reason for the rule change.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
To imply that JH was the only potential is giving him too much credit.
To imagine that the idea occurred to only 2 people just this year is a stretch I think.
Waiting for the rules to change, that have stood for so long before a project is started, seems like a wrong thing to do.

"Thinking ahead really helps one to get all the way through it." (me) :wink:

NOTE TO SELF:
Dat otta piss dem off. :-D