Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 7640 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: Brakes
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
It is also nice to have two chutes and the release handles close to each other  :evil:,  You'd be surprised how fast you can get stopped from 300 in this manner.  If you are a little squirrely and have big balls who needs any stinky brakes.

Merry Christmas Kent,

Sum

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

There is an error thought Sumner, he hasn't quite made it to the 300 mark yet..........

Also have you seen the video? It took him forever to come to a stop when he was sliding on his top for 5/8 to 3/4 of a mile holding up the meet for the rest of us.

Scott

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 10:01:19 AM »
I would suggest good brakes for all the short course (1 mile) events, at the Texas mile we had a little trouble getting the bike stopped before the gravel took the paint off the fairing. Only had rears and they were pretty toasted....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
It is also nice to have two chutes and the release handles close to each other  :evil:,  You'd be surprised how fast you can get stopped from 300 in this manner.  If you are a little squirrely and have big balls who needs any stinky brakes.

Merry Christmas Kent,

Sum

There is an error thought Sumner, he hasn't quite made it to the 300 mark yet..........

Also have you seen the video? It took him forever to come to a stop when he was sliding on his top for 5/8 to 3/4 of a mile holding up the meet for the rest of us.

Scott

Well he has run 299+, so I gave the poor guy the benefit of what I learn in math class about rounding off numbers  :roll: .  I haven't seen the video, but would love too, is it posted on the Internet?

I remember some of Glen's comments about a car rolling and crashing and then he said something about maybe it didn't roll as it is driving off the course.  Glen?? 

As much as Kent bashes NASCAR I think he saw the race where Dale Earnhardt crashes and rolls the car and figures he can still race it and goes on.

ho, ho, ho Kent,

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 10:14:03 AM »

Merry Christmas Kent,

Sum

Scott

Well he has run 299+, so I gave the poor guy the benefit of what I learn in math class about rounding off numbers  :roll: .  I haven't seen the video, but would love too, is it posted on the Internet?

I remember some of Glen's comments about a car rolling and crashing and then he said something about maybe it didn't roll as it is driving off the course.  Glen?? 

As much as Kent bashes NASCAR I think he saw the race where Dale Earnhardt crashes and rolls the car and figures he can still race it and goes on.

ho, ho, ho Kent,

Sum

No the video is not posted yet, I keep telling him to give me the cd and I will ost the video, however he may be fast on the salt, but when it comes to stuff like this he is like a snail.

As muchas Kent bashes everyone he deserves some shit back, I know I take a ton a crap everytime I go down there..........

Scott
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:17:25 AM by isiahstites »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »
WHAT ABOUT MOTOTRCYCLES?Do we have to have Both front and Rear or can we still just run fronts?

I ran an enduro once where the back brakes failed and I ran almost all day with only front brakes.  I think I fell more that one day than in all the rest of my motorcycle days combined.

The enduro was in Ill. and off road and on gravel roads.  I came down one road and got to a T going too fast.  There was a farmer's driveway straight ahead.  I ran into the gravel driveway on the brakes and went down in the middle of a bunch of chickens.  I had probably already fallen a half dozen times and was really getting beat up.  I just laid there trying to rest up and the farmer came out of the house, looked down at me and asked if I was OK.  I said yes and asked if I could just lay there a while.

No way would I run only front brakes,

Sum
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:22:37 AM by Sumner »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
I know I take a ton a crap every time I go down there......Scott

I hope you leave it with him  :-D,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 04:43:27 AM »
Sumner, you just don't like using that front brake on a motorcycle.  It must scare the hell out of you.  Can you imagine only having a rear brake on a dirt bike?  You would slide that rear tire forever before you stopped and would be sideways at that.  I've been riding for over twenty years and wouldn't be caught without a front brake and in fact I rarely use the back brake unless I want to manuver around a corner.  I would like to anyone come down this hill without front brakes.

Ho Ho Ho Santa needs to go to sleep now.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:51:19 AM by bvillercr »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »
Sumner, you just don't like using that front brake on a motorcycle.  It must scare the hell out of you.  Can you imagine only having a rear brake on a dirt bike?  You would slide that rear tire forever before you stopped and would be sideways at that.  I've been riding for over twenty years and wouldn't be caught without a front brake and in fact I rarely use the back brake unless I want to manuver around a corner.  I would like to anyone come down this hill without front brakes.

I agree you have most of your braking on the front, but to only have a front brake is a disaster when trying to race on the dirt.  Disconnect your rear one and try it sometime.  Just go out and ride like you normally do.  Just make sure the front wheel is pointed straight ahead when you use the front one. Sure you could putt putt around with just a front brake, but to go fast you need both of them. 

Once you get off the brakes going down a hill you would be surprised how many people you can pass.

Nice video,

Sum

P.S. There were a few days that I wasn't scared  8-)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 10:42:42 AM by Sumner »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »

I agree you have most of your braking on the front, but to only have a front brake is a disaster when trying to race on the dirt.  Disconnect your rear one and try it sometime.  Just go out and ride like you normally do.  Just make sure the front wheel is pointed straight ahead when you use the front one. Sure you could putt putt around with just a front brake, but to go fast you need both of them. 

Once you get off the brakes going down a hill you would be surprised how many people you can pass.

Nice video,

Sum

It's funny how many people that ride or ride fast don't know how to use their brakes properly.  Part of going faster, is knowing youir brakes.  The one who uses them the best usually wins, or the ones with the biggest bowling balls.  Thought you might like the video, Merry Christmas.  Troy