Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Brakes
« on: December 21, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »
In the rule book it says that the car or vehicle must have adequate brakes. So does that mean, I do not  have to necessiarly have all 4 whhels with brakes? Meaning can I disconnect the front two and only have rear brakes?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »
In the rule book it says that the car or vehicle must have adequate brakes. So does that mean, I do not  have to necessiarly have all 4 whhels with brakes? Meaning can I disconnect the front two and only have rear brakes?

TIA
Clay

Yep,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »
2 schools of thought....
1. Its a landspeed car, you don't need no stinking brakes  for anything but towing.  They won't do you any good at speed anyway.

2. Good high quality high speed brakes are a necessity to rescue you if you get in trouble.

You will find an unlimited supply of folks for both sides.  Our car does not have front brakes, most special construction cars do not have front brakes, a lot of production based cars do... it is sort of a choice thing....  :-)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:11:37 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 05:00:07 PM »
We only have rear brakes. Normally we use them very little, usually below 200 and at turn out. However one time in 26 years, we lost all our chutes. I was at the 5 and 1/2 when I realized NO CHUTES. Finally got stopped at about the 7 and 1/2. It was nice that we did have brakes, even though you can't use them very hard. Not enough traction from the tires to really make use of massive brakes. But you do need enough that they won't burn up at speed.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:18:36 PM »
brakes are nice to have on those cold bonneville mornings

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
brakes are nice to have on those cold bonneville mornings

It is also nice to have two chutes and the release handles close to each other  :evil:,  You'd be surprised how fast you can get stopped from 300 in this manner.  If you are a little squirrely and have big balls who needs any stinky brakes.

Merry Christmas Kent,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:18:35 PM »
It is also nice to have two chutes and the release handles close to each other  :evil:,  You'd be surprised how fast you can get stopped from 300 in this manner.  If you are a little squirrely and have big balls who needs any stinky brakes.
Sum

Sum, buttons on the wheel are better than handles.  Ya know it is much quicker to thumb a button than reach for a handle....  :-o The handle should be there in case of electrical failure...  :-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »
yeh, yeh, everyone's a comedian... ho, ho ,ho to your too.... yep i gots me some buttons now.... :-D
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 11:53:09 PM »
.......................Sum, buttons on the wheel are better than handles.  Ya know it is much quicker to thumb a button than reach for a handle....  :-o The handle should be there in case of electrical failure...  :-)

I plan on buttons...........I'll learn form someone else's, let say errors in judgement, and I won't name names  8-) ( ho, ho ,ho )............

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 12:04:08 PM »
No brakes?  What happens when you spin and are heading toward something or someone?  Would you need brakes then?  At El Mirage if you spin it is not too hard to get close to the spectators especially if you can't see where you are going.  Brakes, I say hell yes.  How about all the responses to the Coddington spin with no chute out and lack of experience.  If she hit the brakes or turned the wheel it would have made a difference.  If you are a car keep the front brakes at least, they do most of the stopping.  Rear brakes only is like ice skating, not much traction there.  If you combine rear brakes only without suspension good luck stopping. 

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
    Several years ago at a speed over 265 mph i torched a hole through the head and into the waterjacket this supercharged the water system blowing off a water hose and splitting the water tank,steaming up the windows.I pulled both of the top fuel funny car chutes that we run and got on the 4 wheel disk brakes. The course worker said ''man you sure got stopped fast''. 

Same thing for fire or some other emergency.

As for 2 wheel rear brakes. My cousins Ed @ Arley ran a Stutebaker with no supension,rear brakes only.After making a trial run north of the course on a Saturday he put on the brakes, S... no brakes. Well they were working but just sliding the tires do to lack of compliance with the dirt. 

JL222

Super Kaz

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 07:53:16 AM »
WHAT ABOUT MOTOTRCYCLES?Do we have to have Both front and Rear or can we still just run fronts?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 08:05:22 AM »
WHAT ABOUT MOTOTRCYCLES?Do we have to have Both front and Rear or can we still just run fronts?
If you choose to run just front brakes, and get past tech, you can count on all of us to stand behind you.
We got yer 6 buddy. :-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Super Kaz

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
If you choose to run just front brakes, and get past tech, you can count on all of us to stand behind you.
We got yer 6 buddy. :-D

will I get past tech though is the problem :??Are Rear Brakes mandatory now :cry:?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 09:09:26 AM »
7.B.23 -- "Rear brakes are required and must be an internal expanding drum type or disc brake".  Front brakes aren't mentioned -- aren't required at Bonneville.  I don't know if there's a requirement for them at EM -- but if there is it's not shown in the book -- might be a local thing.

Front brakes are required for bikes over 175 at Maxton, but for '08 I think that rule may be relaxed to something like "front brakes are highly suggested" for bikes over 175.  Rears are required at Maxton.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com