Author Topic: Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG  (Read 21489 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »
"What do you think, after paint should I add a Screamin' Eagle sticker?"

A Willieworld sticker would be more appropriate.... Willie, do you have a logo?  :-D  I'm thinking a globe with head to head V twins...  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
With a watch cap.

DW

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »
Despite a cold lonely garage, I managed to get a couple things done today. First on the agenda was to get the throttle body and plenum seperated. I'd tried a couple things, but did not want to risk damaging the pot-metal TB housing. I tried a make-shift puller to push them apart at the injector-rail mounting holes, but it didn't seem to budge. Plan B was a little heat gently and carefully applied to the plenum with a propane torch. Success! At fist a little wiggle, the it popped right off. Once seperated, I checked out how it would work coming straight off the manifold.

Looks pretty good. I still need an injector in there somewhere, so I will probably end up adding a plenum between the TB and the manifold. I ordered a injector holder and some 6011 tubing this week.

From Simple Digital Systems at http://www.sdsefi.com/. I talked to Ross (the owner I think) via e-mail and he has the electrical connectors for injectors as well, so I ordered 2 of those as well (2 in case I mess up a pin  :roll:) I called on Thursday to place my order and was told they were out of holders, so I sent Ross an e-mail. He told me he expected "some" on Friday. I got another e-mail from him Friday after lunch that he had gotten ONE holder from his machinist, just for me! Now how is that for service! I'm not even buying his controller (I'm using a MicroSquirt) and he went the extra mile. Must be because he is Canadian, eh?  :-D

After checking the TB, I re-installed the carburator and airbox for now, as I'm trying to arrange a base-line dyno run. Then I fitted the Willie battery hold-down. As I expected the relay that was in the way will not be there by the time I get to the Big White Dyno as it's actually a turn-signal flasher. I unbolted it and just moved it aside. I had to make a couple little adjustments, then drilled some 1/4"+ clearence holes in the 1/2" flanges. Using a transfer punch, I marked the bike and drilled holes to match. Once installed I found that the hold-down interfers with the seat-pan, where the seat-pan has a "bump" to hold the battery down. I'll have to trim the bump out of the way when I re-do the seat. 

Once everything was back together, I took it out side and fired it up. After the usual long warm up with it backfiring, I rode it up and down our cul-de-sac a little. For some reason it doesn't want to run over 3/4 throttle - it feels like the ignition is retarded, but I bet it's just running way lean because of the aftermarket exhaust. I should have checked the jets when I had the carburator off.

OK, this part was just for fun:

OBS-cene sticker from Cafe press (it is a very long story, best told over a cold beer) and the 'Racing' from a local sign shop. Probably should have went yellow, but I kind of like blue.

After riding up and down the street in the sleeting-rain, I called it an afternoon and came in for hot tea. It's not much progress, but it's some!

Ken

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »

Looks pretty good. I still need an injector in there somewhere, so I will probably end up adding a plenum between the TB and the manifold. I ordered a injector holder and some 6011 tubing this week.......................

Good to see some progress.  I guess I don't understand the "plenum between the TB and the manifold".  Are you calling the manifold the runner between the TB and head in the picture??  If so and there isn't room to put the injector there it looks to me you need to make a longer runner.  If it was boosted or even NA forced air I would put the plenum on the air intake side of the TB.  Maybe I just don't understand.

keep working,

Sum

Offline YourOldPalDan

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
Howdy, folks.  My name is Dan, and I am a friend of Ken and Lisa.  I've known Ken for a few years now, and someone said earlier that Ken seemed like the kind of person that when he says he's gonna do something wacko like this, he's a doer, not a talker.

Well, he's a doer.  He is certifiably crazy enough to be a doer.  You all will probably really end up liking this guy's commitment, whether it is to his goal of going really fast, or to a padded room.

There is more about how he might have gotten to this point if you want it, but I am not sure this is the forum for that info.  You already know about his short track days.  That is about half of the story.
"Officer, you mean to tell me it ain't national '95 MPH on the freeway day' today?"

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 10:57:02 PM »

Good to see some progress.  I guess I don't understand the "plenum between the TB and the manifold".  Are you calling the manifold the runner between the TB and head in the picture??  If so and there isn't room to put the injector there it looks to me you need to make a longer runner.  If it was boosted or even NA forced air I would put the plenum on the air intake side of the TB.  Maybe I just don't understand.

keep working,

Sum

Sum,

If you go back a page, you will see that originally there was another section to the throttle body that served to split the air and send to the 2 cylinders on the Buell XB. Oh, heck here is the picture:

It's the portion in the TOP of this photo. That is also where the injector(s) go; and you are right I need to replace at least some of this so I have somewhere to mount the injectors.

Here is the terminology I'm using, which may be wrong. The part bolted to the head, I'm calling the "manifold" even though it's not really. Between the manifold and the throttle body is a plenum, or on the XB "diverter", that holds the injector and then finally farthest from the engine is the throttle body itself. And of course, after that is another plenum, the air box. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I haven't decided if I will add ~ 3-4" between the TB and the manifold (spigot?) or just weld some tubing to the manifold itself. I _think it's weldable aluminum, but I'm not sure.

Ken

PS - Dan, is the friend that bought my Goldwing so I could fund this project. Well, except his wife actually bought it a month ago and Dan just found out yesterday.  :evil: 
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Ken

If it's an aluminum casting it will weld up beautifully.

Pete

Offline frogpirate

Project Shelved.
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
No one likes to admit that they are wrong, or may have headed down a path that ultimately turns out to be the wrong one. Our usual response is to just forge ahead, and ignore the growing gnawing feeling in the pit of our stomach that we are just throwing good money after bad. Particularly when we have invested a large amount of time and cash into something.

I am going to buck that trend. If has become increasingly apparent to me that I am not as enamored with this project as I thought I was, and to be honest part of that is due to the large amounts of cash I've been throwing at it. In the end I am a pragmatist and expect a certain 'bang' for my buck; if I spend $10K on something, I like to feel I am getting $10K worth of enjoyment out of it. I do not feel that is the case now, so I am going to shelve the project permanently.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has been involved and offered encouragement and help. I am sorry I am unable to carry out your efforts.

Regards, 

Ken

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
Re: Project Shelved.
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »

Sorry to hear that Ken.  Thank you for sharing all your work with us.  If you ever change your mind, the same group will probably be here to help give input and support again.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
come on buddy bolt the carb back on  you got 7 months to go  the bang is just running down the salt and going faster than anyone has ever gone in that class   meeting the hundreds of people that love the same thing you do                          willie buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
Thats a shame to read your post.  I guess we're all made different.  I've been plugging away at my Norton for the past 41 years and if God gives me another 41 I figure I'll still be at it.  But believe me all the time, money and effort suddenly become worth it when you break a record.  But I suppose if you equate money and time to results maybe you should pack it in.  But I was lookng forward to seeing how the B-last would run.  Particularly with the fuel injection.  I've been dying to try it on my Norton but being dumb I have no idea how it works or how I would make it work.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »
Sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel Ken. I too abandoned my blast project so I do understand!
I still get a kick out of watching others do it but it is little return for the effort. I may play with one again
sometime in the future but for now I have bigger fish to fry!  :-D

I hope you have something else in mind. BTW, the blast makes an excellent pit bike!  :wink:

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »
How about if you were to buy a new Hayabusa?  Remove the limiter and you have 200mph with a warranty!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 09:28:52 PM »
The Hayabusa has GOT to be the most remarkable over the counter- or out the showroom- vehicle on the planet.

Looking at results from recent Landspeed events they will do and  are ridden      to the 300KPH STOCK limit.

MB, AUDI BMW, etc have a gentlemen's agreement as I understand limiting their 4 wheel vehicles 2 ONLY 250KPH
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 11:10:16 PM »
are you going to sell the bike  sheri buchta