Author Topic: Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG  (Read 21485 times)

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
Re: Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »
I've tried a lot of different ways to form sheet metal in the past, with some success, and a lot of cursing. What hampers me is that I *know* how easy this would be to form with a pan break and a sheer, and how difficult it is to do with make-shift stuff around the shop. My usual bending rig is a piece of 2" angle iron, a couple of "C" clamps and a rubber mallet. It works, albiet a bit crudely. This kind of goes back to Willie & Kent's conversation about brackets. Spend $2 to buy them, or an hour to make them? I do LIKE making stuff, but I also realize that sometimes it's cheeper in the long run for me to pay a professional to do it for me. (By the way, this pretty much goes against how I've done things most of my life!) Time is an issue for me as well; I work 40+ hours a week, with a 2 hour a day commute. I'm not as young as I once was, and find working in the shop until midnight then going to work is not really an option, besides wich the garage is right next to the bedroom and Lisa would kill me if I were out there until midnight every night!  :roll:

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »
I've tried a lot of different ways to form sheet metal in the past, with some success, and a lot of cursing. What hampers me is that I *know* how easy this would be to form with a pan break and a sheer, and how difficult it is to do with make-shift stuff around the shop. My usual bending rig is a piece of 2" angle iron, a couple of "C" clamps and a rubber mallet. It works, albeit a bit crudely. This kind of goes back to Willie & Kent's conversation about brackets. Spend $2 to buy them, or an hour to make them? I do LIKE making stuff, but I also realize that sometimes it's cheaper in the long run for me to pay a professional to do it for me. (By the way, this pretty much goes against how I've done things most of my life!) Time is an issue for me as well; I work 40+ hours a week, with a 2 hour a day commute. I'm not as young as I once was, and find working in the shop until midnight then going to work is not really an option, besides which the garage is right next to the bedroom and Lisa would kill me if I were out there until midnight every night!  :roll:Ken

....such is the lot of the "back-yard" LSR guy , put perfectly. When you're not "loaded" and your job ain't in the field you are often between a rock and a hard place.By the time you have worked out exactly what you require for the part , you've built it and sending jobs out can be very time consuming unless they are guaranteed perfect , fat chance of that happening.

Noise is a problem too :oops:

when you are running the bike and others are checking it out and ask why you did this or that you will be able to say..." when I was making that" , "the reason I did that" and " I'm going to use that until the good one gets back from the polishers"( thanks for that one Jack :wink:) and they will know you are the man , not just a passenger , or purchaser .

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
frog  is your parrern accurate  that you posted  if it isnt post one that is and watch brackets and other fun stuff then in about three days go stand by the mail box   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
That one is a little off Willie; I had to shorten the straight section from 3" to 2 1/4". I dropped the corrected developed pattern off at a local sheet metal shop (Schmeer Sheet Metal Works) at lunch today. Guess what? The person that helped me (Cedrick Meeks) Dad is a LSR racer! I think he said he races a Ford T with a Gimmy 6 cyl engine.

Thank you for the offer though!

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
Ah!  Russ Meeks. http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

He'll be coating my headers (and punch any louvers that I need).

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
Hey this has been a good day! Now I know who to go to for 'header' coatings. Can you call a one cylinder pipe a "header".  :? Anyway, I love it when I can get what I need and support a fellow racer.

Ken

Offline frogpirate

Next up, battery hold down.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »
The rules require a strap hold down on the battery. The Buell Blast battery is mounted a bit different that most in that it is laying on it's "back" under the seat. OEM just uses a rubber baby buggy bumper on the bottom of the seat to hold the battery in place. I'm pretty sure that is NOT going to pass inspection.

Again, I start with a sketch:

http://candyassllamas.com/OBSR/BattHoldDown.jpg

Which I then transfer to poster board and fold up.

The little tab fits into a step on the battery.

You can see the tab on the left side top.

Made out of 20ga or so steel it shouldn't sway back quite like this. :) Oh, and it is actually square - shooting the picture with one hand while holding the blue folder in the other the picture was a little skewed and when I straightened it in PhotoShop it distorted a little.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:54:04 PM by frogpirate »

Offline frogpirate

Goodies in the Mail!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »
Whoo hoo! I came home from shopping with my wife (AKA Umbrella Girl Lisa) and I had goodies in the mail box! First, a VERY nice present from Willie and Sheri:

Yes, that is a Beull XB9 throttle body with injectors and TPS. This will make getting the EFI working much easier. All we have to do is lop one side off the manifold, fabricate a mount, re-do the fuel rail and find someplace to mount a air-temp sensor, and we are half-way to EFI!

Speaking of EFI, this was the other thing that came:

Originally one of my friends was going to assemble a MegaSquirt board for me. Unfortunatly, he like needed to get a job, and moved the the land of Mooses and hockey and was not going to get to the project for awhile. I sent the kits back, and in return for a small stack of cash, they sent me the much smaller Micro Squirt. In hindsight, I probably should have went this way in the first place.

On Friday I picked up the underseat tray from Schmeer Sheet Metal Works. Cederick did a good job, and I did a little fitting and drilling last night, and finished it up this morning.

I hammer-formed the edge over the round tube of the rear subframe with my trusty rubber mallet.

I made the cut-out for the latch with a drill-press and sabre saw with metal cutting blade. The cold rolled steel cut easier than I expected. I then used the ball end of a ball-peen to form the cutout down a little.

Eventually the bike will be lowered and the tray will be much closer to the tire.

Of course, I had to run right out and see how the MicroSquirt look in the underseat tray.

Finally I feel like I'm getting a little done!

Ken
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:26:20 AM by frogpirate »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
ken did you build the battery hold down --if you didnt let me know i will build it for bracket fabrication and other fun stuff then ill send it to you  willie  buchta
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:25:00 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 12:28:29 AM »
No Wille, I haven't built it yet. Thanks for the offer, that would be great!

Ken

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »
if your patern is o k i will do it tomorrow   willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »
The pattern should be good Willie.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »
done  and posted  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

Dude! Someone stole my rear cylinder!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:47 PM »
Thank Willie for the battery hold down, it looks good.

Just for kicks (and to get an idea of how it fits in relation to stock parts) I pulled the carby off the Blast on Suday and slipped the XB TB on:

Looks like it should be easy from here, huh? Still a lot of work to go before I have a running EFI engine. Still, it's a great motivation picture!

Offline frogpirate

That battery ain't goin' nowhere
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »
Willie's battery hold down showed up today, appropriatly in a Screming Eagle box.

The first two images are without the battery to show how it fits on the bike.

And here it is with the battery in place. I may have to trim the 1/2" legs a smidge, as I had to put the battery into the holder and then slip it in place. Or move the relay to the right of the battery (I don't think that relay will be there once the bike is wired as a race bike anyway). Also, in hindsight I could have just made the tab up top and not bothered with the rest of the wrap-over. I tend to uhh, over build things a little. Comes from stock-car racing on short tracks, a full contact sport!

What do you think, after paint should I add a Screamin' Eagle sticker? ;)