Author Topic: Cross over records  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Cross over records
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »
There is a thread going elseware on this site regarding a record set at a USFRA event that went into the SCTA record book. The organizations share the same rule book, therefore records set cross over. However, it appears tech inspection is not equal. The vehicle in question, based on past personel experience, would not have passed tech at SCTA. Yet it did pass at USFRA and the record goes into the SCTA book. Nothing against the team, tech passed it so they raced and were sucessful. So we have vehicles that would not pass tech at an SCTA event going into the SCTA record book!!! Seems to me that thier should always be a SCTA official in tech regardless of the event where the rule book is used. This does not appear to be a level playing field at all.

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Cross over records
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
Jumping the gun a little Larry?  :?
Read the scta rule book, I just did.
scta inspector certified the record, the difference in the meets is the USFRA guys are glad to have you there....  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:06:54 PM »
Didn't we address your issues with SCTA/BNI a few posts back?

Speaking as a non-member of the SCTA Good Ol Boys Conspiracy,  I suspect the less you SNIVEL the more they'll be glad to have you.

The Texas mile is CLOSER to Wichita!

Maybe MAXTON, too!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:59:49 PM »
Always been curious.  How long is a Texas mile?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:26:09 AM »
Always been curious.  How long is a Texas mile?

5,280' plus shut down..

J :mrgreen:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:39:29 AM »
Certification of the record in question is in error and their are many more .
The entrant is the immediate victim as the credibility of the sport deteriorates.  :x
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:34:23 AM »
Larry, would you be so kind as to refresh my memory -- which vehicle are you talking about, and which (date) event?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »
Didn't we address your issues with SCTA/BNI a few posts back?

Speaking as a non-member of the SCTA Good Ol Boys Conspiracy,  I suspect the less you SNIVEL the more they'll be glad to have you.

The Texas mile is CLOSER to Wichita!

Maybe MAXTON, too!

IB, not sure what "issues" you must be talking about, some of my friends are in the scta.....  :-D
The USFRA meet is the racer friendliest of the salt events, attend one and you will experience low stress LSR, see ya on the salt
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »
We've been running since 1981 including the original July USFRA tune-up meets. Have always found USFRA tech to be quite good and similar to SCTA. If you look back through previous posts, you will find lots of discussions about how different inspectors view different details, even within SCTA. I don't think that your reference has anything to do with the differences between specs of USFRA and SCTA. The rule books are harmonized, records are harmonized and all in all it is a great success for the racers. I don't veiw a record set at one event any more prestigious or difficult than at the other. I'm just happy that both organizations are there and working with each other.

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 02:24:26 PM »
Ah, working together - that was a 5 year project for a couple of people.

Harmonizing - Richard, you will find your spelled correctly in the 2008 book.

DW

aswracing

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
Tech is about safety, not class compliance. Many times a tech inspector will advise us about class compliance issues while in tech, which we all appreciate, but the inspection is about safety, at least in theory.

Class compliance is done in impound.

At World of Speed 2007, Tom Evans and Dan Warner were running impound. So for class compliance purposes, it was the same people that you generally have at a BNI meet.

aswracing

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 02:31:17 PM »
Oh, I should say too, I took the same two bikes to WOS and Finals. They both passed tech at WOS and both failed at Finals. The difference: different tech inspectors. But that's the luck of the draw, some guys are pickier than others.

The things they failed tech for at Finals had nothing to do with the speed potential or class compliance, they were safety related only.

I just don't see any issue with record integrity for a USFRA event versus a BNI event.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
Thanks Dan. YOU DA MAN

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 06:23:28 PM »
Just a note on class compliance in impounds . . .

At Bonneville there are a lot more "helpers" checking out class compliance of an apparent record-setter.  These include inspectors and officials who run in the same class/category as the the vehicle being checked. 

At WOS, because of the fewer SCTA entries, the hard job I'm told, falls on just a couple individuals. We all don't have the Rule Book memorized, even for our own class.  And as good as the scrutineers are, sometimes something can be overlooked.

And never intentionally.

(Unless you're into the conspiracy theories!  Boy, it's just unimaginable to me how as competitive most SCTA members are, how they could ever get together to conspire.  Maybe it's that left coast sunshine.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 08:38:17 PM »
The violation mentioned is as clear as it has ever been and ranks right down there with the "Saw Job" that was so ill advised, and when it was overturned, their was no apology forthcoming.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"