Author Topic: Sidecar Record  (Read 21380 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Sidecar Record
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »
..........................Sum, Kid was .977 ..........

That is 1/100 of one percent under 200 mph , but I guess you already knew that,

Sum   

Offline willieworld

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2007, 03:13:29 PM »
hope the tech guys have the same attitude in may but will plan for the worst ---------- willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
If the same entry was run as a 2 wheeled bike, would it be considered in compliance with respect to rider egress  ?
I am not talking about aerodynamic features but rider safety.
Where is the logic in that ?
You are only kidding yourself. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tortoise

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2007, 10:45:25 PM »
If the same entry was run as a 2 wheeled bike, would it be considered in compliance with respect to rider egress  ?
If a silhouette of the rider were cut out of the sides of the body, making it legal per (the moment's) APS rules, do you really think that would be any safer?   

Offline willieworld

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2007, 01:25:53 AM »
like bob said sidecar is a pretty open class --i think what you have to get through in tech is unrestricted exit --im 62 years old been riding since i was a kid  i just cant kneel on my motorcycle im a throw your leg over it kind of guy --ive changed my mind before im in the middle of building the wife a bike when im done ill build myself a new bike for 08 --kneeling  streamlineing  something to think about--------willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2007, 02:26:21 AM »
If a silhouette of the rider were cut out of the sides of the body, making it legal per (the moment's) APS rules, do you really think that would be any safer? 

The objective is to be able to part company with the bike without any more effort than letting it go out of your hands.
If a deliberate action is required when things are beyond your ability to control them, you are stuck with the results.
That understanding is important to both the riders and the persons charged with the responsibility to inspect it.

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »
Boy.....Oh, Boy......I really Hate to admit it.............
but Jack is right again!!!!!.........................................

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
Boy.....Oh, Boy......I really Hate to admit it.............
but Jack is right again!!!!!.........................................
SPEED SECRET :
Being surrounded with people that really know, really helps me . :wink:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2007, 01:29:18 PM »

quote from jack d
The objective is to be able to part company with the bike without any more effort than letting it go out of your hands.
If a deliberate action is required when things are beyond your ability to control them, you are stuck with the results.
That understanding is important to both the riders and the persons charged with the responsibility to inspect it.

sorry  parting company with a 2 wheel bike has never been  a problem for me --i must admit though sometimes i get a little uncomfortable with the sidecar rig --ive always said if something goes wrong "just jump off"  not so easy to do on a lay down sidecar bike  --if you look at my bike you will see no obstructions behind me just a nice smoothe  freshley waxed fender    willie buchta

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:44:56 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »
AMEN....................................

bak189

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
Easier to do on a "open" Kneeler.............Right Larry............................................................................

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2007, 04:39:21 PM »
Something that is often overlooked is the foot peg.
If it will not hinge away to allow you past it, you have the potential to snag a body part and go along with the upset ride until it decides to turn you loose.
Ask the guy that got off so bad at EM when he caught his loose pant leg the second time he fell off and wasn't as lucky as the first time the previous month. :wink:

Offline kiwi

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2007, 07:48:11 PM »
I agree with Jack on this. I can't see why the rules for a sidecar and a 2 wheel bike should be any different in this regard.
Ease of egress for the rider in the event of a mishap should be the same for both types of vehicle. If the rules do not align they need to be corrected.
The only reason I can see for the sidecar rules to be "looser" would be if sidecar riders were deemed to be more expendable.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
acording to my rule book footrests (footpegs) arnt required on a sidecar bike  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2007, 12:29:08 AM »
Most if, not all, the SCTA/BNI M/C Rules have been in the past and possibly the present
interpreted by the "eye of the beholder"
(the Tech inspector)  in the past, as I recall, there was no "check sheet" now there is a check sheet....
making it somewhat easier for the racer to know what is required.............being a inspector is a thankless job (been there, done that) and at times the "help" inspectors are new to the sport....and do not know what they are looking at.......except for Tom Evans there has been a heavy rotation of inspectors in past years.....they "Burn Out" which we can all understand.....so it all falls back on Tom, and I for one have gotten a few times on Tom's case.....one time to the point Tom told me "shut up or you are off the salt"  Tom was right...I overstepped......bought Tom a bottle of scotch
that night and gave it to him next morning.  Sorry Tom.....I think ALL the people on the M/C
Tech. commitee should be working M/C Tech with Tom, if it cut's into your race time....then get off the commitee....simple as that!!!!!!
It is a lot easier at the BUB, no committee.....one FIM Steward......one AMA Steward....and they have been open to "suggestions" The final decision is with the promotor presenting the event, after all he puts up the money ........................simple............................