Author Topic: Sidecar Record  (Read 21310 times)

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Sidecar Record
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:22:46 PM »
I'm a little slow on the up-take but I was just looking at the records for 07 and realized that our old sidecar record for SC/G was broken (clobbered!) this year at world of speed. Congratulations to John Stege. I am very proud to have been part of the team ,headed up by builder and mentor Bob Bakker, that set the old record in 1990. That particular bike is now in the Barber collection in Alabama. Seventeen years is a good run for a record, John I hope yours lasts as long.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Sidecar Record
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 11:22:39 PM »
John's scooter was purpose built and put up numbers above 200, not bad for a stock motor, says a lot for his streamlining of his sidecar outfit.  He needed a taller gear, he was on the rev limiter in 6th  :-o on his over 2 run, I was downtrack listening.....  :-D  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:10:12 AM »
was it a Bub record breaker?
any one got a pix of it?
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »
Kent, he was at WOS, nice guy, Slim, did you get a picture?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:28:53 AM »
No, I didn't.  I teched the bike, though.  'Busa motor in a purpose-built rig -- a kneeler, it was, with auto-style tires front and rear (and I don't remember what he had for #3 tire).

I remember him coming to inspection and explaining it would be his first run on the new bike.  Then he qualifies and comes to impound with a "How the heck did that happen?" look on his face.  Next morning he backs it up (I think the return was even faster) and then he's in impound and has Stainless "recommended" to help him with the teardown (you're welcome, Robert).

He spent hours and hours in impound -- I remember because his trailer was right in front of where I was stationed, and he blocked my view of the track all dang day.

But still, No, I don't have a photo.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:42:50 PM »
GREAT John, for getting our old record....after all that is what LSR is all about...........I just love the way "you all" now define some of the sidecar as
"purpose build rigs" is that make the bold- on- units "wheels on a stick".
Certainly would like to see a picture of John's
"purpose build rig"....................................................

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »
I done picture from John, very nice guy and his wife is great, too.....She said, when I meet John 35 years ago he runs side car races, he crashed the bike during the race and I married him.......no comment to this.
By the way, this thing was going like hell and I gave the bike the name....No Brain No Pain........kneeing at 200 mph......
Picture, did someone need them by purpose or just here on the website....I can reduce the datasize and can download the picture here if you like them. Please let me know.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 01:33:28 PM »
Bak, when I said "purpose-built" I was referring to the fact that this is not a motorcycle adapted to sidecar duty, nor a racing sidecar rig adapted to lakes racing -- but rather a rig designed and built for one and only one venue.

Perhaps all sidecar land speed entries are similarly "purpose-built" -- in which case I guess my addition of the moniker is superfluous.  But this one sure as heck wasn't a "wheel on a stick" design.

I hope Pork finds and posts a photo.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »
here the picture
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »
another one
Pork Pie

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
one more
Pork Pie

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »
Good looking outfit, I must admit that this is where the rules begin to blur between streamliner and sidecar. I noticed that this bike was originally listed in results as a SC/S and somewhere along the line got changed. In my opinion there should still be an Altered class for purpose built machines like this, I think that this would "clear up" the blur.  I would think that was the original intention of the rules years ago before the Altered class was eliminated. Having said that, a great accomplishment by John Stege.

bak189

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »
Many thanks for the pictures, PorkPie...... it looks like a outstanding LSR sidecar with great Aero.
I am looking foward in seeing the outfit in person in the future.
One very interesting point that a noted from the pictures is that the rules must have changed.....
John ran World Finals...right? that is under SCTA/BNI rules.....right?  When I asked BNI Tech. if I could build a LSR sidecar with the driver kneeling INSIDE the outfit.....I was told....NO WAY.
The rule regarding being able to see the rider from the side (except for forearms) was also being enforced on sidecars........if the driver kneeled inside the outfit it became a streamliner
that would require a roll-cage and belts.......so tell me Slim....seeing as you Teched the outfit.....
have the rules been changed???
I should note that the BUB sidecar rules for 2007
DO allow the driver inside the outfit.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 04:07:52 PM »
Just to clarify - the first pictures shows John just after the start about ten yards away from the starting line - I done a picture from John when he done his 203 mph return run in the third mile.....still in this position......there is a reason why I called this sidecar No Brain No Pain.......

In other words - he didn't change his position and goes "inside" the bike - his body is full in the air....like a sit on bike.
Pork Pie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »
..............................John ran World Finals...right? that is under SCTA/BNI rules.....right?......................................

Kent, he was at WOS, nice guy, Slim, did you get a picture?

Sum