Author Topic: Sidecar Record  (Read 21309 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: Sidecar Record
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 01:44:30 AM »
you guys must have a different rule book than i have  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 02:04:56 AM »
Having to get up to get out is not unrestricted and will fail the test of a legal challange when somebody is hurt.
How is it any different than an open top roadster without suitable driver containment and appropriate  safety features ?
Open, and frank public discussion is the best avenue for identifying this type of problem for everybody and not just a singular answer that serves only the individual.
Motorcycle Tech participation on this board was terminated, not with a mistake that can be corrected, but a lie that was challenged. :x
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline willieworld

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 02:15:40 AM »
My rule book on page 110 7.H under streamliner says quote "A streamliner is a motorcycle designed so that it is not possible to see the complete rider in the normal riding position from either side or above." Therefore the vehicle in question could not run in the sidecar class unless it was a sidecar streamliner. In which case it would not be legal for that class either. No roll cage no fire system etc. etc. etc. End of story.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 03:21:59 AM »
I thought we were talkin about sidecars here willie.... why are you reciting lines from the streamliner discription....... read and reread the sidecar rules closely... do you see anything about rider visability.....Jack brought up a very good asumption that having to "get up" could be considered restrictive... one could also argue that having to lift your leg and swing it over your seat would also be restrictive.... my thought is that if you could "shed" yourself from a crashing machine instead of being trapped it would be legal... in the case of the red hack, the riders area looked to me to be pretty clean and i think if it flipped it would probably launch the rider pretty easily.... so what I think Jack and Bob are saying is if I showed up with my LCR styled hack it wont be legal..?...Hummmmm, i'll have to check into it.....
kent

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 05:02:24 AM »
9/13   997   JOHN STEGE   STEGE, JOHN   SC/G 1350      173.8020    170.6420   172.2220
9/15   997   JOHN STEGE   STEGE, JOHN   SC/SG 1350     194.8150   203.2270   199.0210

This is the cut out from the official USFRA website record list.....the bike didn't change and also to John he didn't make a class change.

Looks for me to a typing error.....the USFRA is a very small group of people who runs this meet, so things can happened. Question is now...what's correct....may be Slim can find out.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 07:23:49 AM »
In the early DAZE, a roll bar was a feature like a towel bar on the floor that you held onto, while the vehicle went over.
Seat belts were not in common use in Sprint Cars either.
The thought was, in a crash, if you were lucky, you would be thrown clear.
Getting lucky has a higher failure rate than getting smart.
Think about the often quoted phrase "Sticking your neck out".
It is often said that "Rules were meant to be broken", but bear in mind, that SAFETY RULES were written as a direct result of the broken, and sometimes dead.
If the rules have been bastardized beyond smart, well there ya go. :x
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2007, 09:15:04 AM »
9/15   997   JOHN STEGE   STEGE, JOHN   SC/G 1350     194.8150   203.2270   199.0210

This is the correct record. No need to upset Jon anymore than necessary.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »
9/15   997   JOHN STEGE   STEGE, JOHN   SC/G 1350     194.8150   203.2270   199.0210

DW

Yep that was his final record at the end of the meet, as was said before, nice work, nice scooter, nice folks....  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »

DW

Yep that was his final record at the end of the meet, as was said before, nice work, nice scooter, nice folks....  8-)

.............. and I bet he sure wishes he could have gone .979 mph faster.  Who got closer to 200 Stainless him or your boy??  I just looked at the 200 MPH club site and it is kind of closed right now, so I have a question.  If someone ran 200.000 and set a record doing it would they be in the 200 MPH Club or do they have to exceed 200.000??

I was going to read those MC rules like you told us to, but they give me a headach everytime I try  :cry:.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2007, 11:23:47 AM »
Tom Elrod got into the 2 Club with a speed of exactly 200.000.
They set their own minimums for each appropriate class, unlike SCTA.

bak189

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
O.K....Jon, is off the hook......I understand Tom Evans was also involved in the Tech. inspection....
and if Tom made the decision that John S could get out and away from the outfit if a mishap
occured..............that is good enough for me..........
Tom has been doing Tech. inspections on our
sidecars for more than 20 years and he understands what they are about..........................
Now that the paper work has also been resolved........our congrats to John S on a outstanding record..................................................
To Kent you being a M/C Tech committee person
.....can we run a Windle outfit (like a LCR)
BUB allows them!!!!!!....................................................

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »
my inital thought is yes "BUT" i'm speaking from the bottom of the list.... i will thow it up the list a few notches and hope to have a answer for ya when ya come down next week...
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »
i was talking about sidecars kent--the streamline motorcycle class is for bikes that the driver (rider) cant be seen from both sides and above--seems to me that not being able to be seen from the side would put you in the streamline class --if you dont think it does  where do you think the line in the rules are drawn --dont forget i run a sidecar bike and im building my wife one for 08 and its not to late to change her bike --her bike will have some streamlineing but she will be able to be seen from left and right side except fore arms and hands and from above except legs feet hands and forearms  and have unrestricted exit (as much as possible on a lay down bike )i have ridden most every kind of contrapion and i think that the kneeling bike is probibly as safe as a lay down bike (im talking about sidecar bikes here)  i try to  plan for the worst but hope for the best so far so good  --  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »
As much as it pains Sum and the rest of us, read it again Willie (just section 7.I).  Sidecar is a stand-alone class.  It is not part of A, M or P, it is wide open.  Just read the 2 sidecar pages, it even addresses sidecar streamliner.  You can make Sheri's bike a fully (almost) streamlined outfit, just allowing unrestricted exit if you choose. 

Sum, Kid was .977 and for info, I encouraged him to run it again, there was time, told him we could find a larger drive sprocket to get him off the limiter, he said he had already far exceeded his goal and was done for the year...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
Some of you have seen the video of the "mishap"
we had with our outfit back in 2002.........and it shows that Larry C (driver) had no problem getting off the outfit as it was going up-side-down......there is almost no restrictions when riding in a kneeling position.........if riding inside a tub (depending on the fairing)it could possible be a problem........the roadracing outfits like the LCR ,Windle, RSR, ........if and when they flip-over
most times the passenger gets thrown clear, and the driver stays with the outfit.....ducking down inside the fairing......................................................
 P.S. Stainless, is right the sidecar class is a stand alone class, just like I noted in one of my earlier post regarding foot-pegs.....it has nothing to do with solo, P, M. A. . When I wrote the first rules back in th 1970's for sidecars I made it a point to keep it as open as possible....
Example: dustbin fairings.......safety was my only concern........and (thank goodness) it is still a class
that allows inovation......Example: John S record setting sidecar................................................................