Author Topic: Sidecar Record  (Read 21313 times)

bak189

Re: Sidecar Record
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the info. PorkPie............I have been told time and time again by the SCTA/BNI people
that if the sidecar driver kneeled inside the outfit it was not safe.....due to the fact the driver
would not be able to exit the outfit if a mishap
occured..........(this is not correct, and the roadracers have proven that the driver can exit the outfit kneeling inside).
However, if you race with SCTA/BNI you play by their rules, I fully understand that..........................
So my question is still have the rules been changed????.......Or is this just "slip up" in Tech???
I understand at times this will occur.....what about impound.....did they also"slip up".................
We have raced with BNI for more then 25 years...
we are presently racing the BUB......but we do plan to return to BNI in the future with a new sidecar..........so what are the rules.........inside O.K...
or NO...............................................................................

bak189

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
O.K......O.K.   we are taking about WOS not WF....
right............so does the WOS people use the same rules as SCTA?????????   They must because
the SCTA book shows their records........................
 It is up to you Slim....explain it to me.......you did the Tech.  (you so stated earlier)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »
So my question is still have the rules been changed????.......Or is this just "slip up" in Tech???
Maybe neither. I'd say the slip up was telling you it wasn't OK. I don't suppose any of this was in writing, was it? You must be righteously pissed off.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:29:04 PM by tortoise »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »
John's scooter was purpose built and put up numbers above 200, not bad for a stock motor, says a lot for his streamlining of his sidecar outfit.
I'll say. An all-out turbo motor should put 300 in the range of possibility. Yikes!

bak189

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »
No....none of it was in writing........just was told this is a safety issue......I asked several times over a period of years.............................................
This is somewhat like the problem Willie was having regarding making test runs at Elmo......
BUT.........this involves a RECORD...........................
There is a lot more involved.....WOS, shows one thing, and SCTA shows another.... regarding the speeds and records.............We are not taking anything away from the outstanding effort of John S......we are not really "pissed" off, we just want a level playing field.........................................
and have it explained to us...................................

bak189

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »
O.K. try to sort this out......................................
SCTA shows under Bonneville records 2008
SC/G    199.021
WOS shows under Bonneville records 2008
SC/G    172.222
SC/SG  199.021
I think all done with the same sidecar.........how can you go from SC/G to SC/SG (S being streamliner).............something does not match up
I hate to be a pain.....just want answers.............

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 09:00:05 PM »
Man, has it been screwed up, and gets worse every day. ! :x
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 09:09:02 PM »
Sorry....2007 records

dwarner

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 09:35:15 PM »
Obviously, the USFRA has not changed their SC/G record to the 199 when the SCTA did. The cert card is for SC/G. Bob, you know that SW, WoS and WF all run to the same rules.

The question is to the tech group that inspected, "I did it for safety only" is not a valid excuse, and the impound people. More than likely the same. Once again, agitating on a message board without going directly to the source will not result in an answer. We all know that "official" responses will not receive air on a message board.

Welcome to my world Jon,
DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 10:20:37 PM »
Bak, as I recall, an SCTA inspector certified the record.  The bike made a record around the high 170s, on the short course and qualified for the long course during the back-up run.  He ran the long course and went faster, 190s first run, 200s on the back up. 
A couple of years ago the sidecar rules changed in scta.  Wink built a rig to the new rules and did well as I recall. 
I asked several folks if it was a streamliner and was told no, anything with an unrestricted exit was not a streamliner, no rules on what you could or could not see.  Reread the rule book, I have not, but I will after I finish typing this...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 10:25:53 PM »
DW, many thanks for your post.........the thing that somewhat concerns me that if the USFRA
runs under SCTA rules and the records go into the SCTA/BNI book......if I want to up a record
run USFRA  (they are easy) and get it in the SCTA/BNI book.......does not seem right!!
Again congrats to John S..........but his sidecar would not have past SCTA/BNI Tech. ..........
unless of course there are "new" rules.....either writen and/or verbal................................................
O.K this is my last post on this subject......no need to beat a "dead horse"...., Dan thanks for your input.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 10:54:33 PM »
As an intrested side(car) liner. I would like to see a level set of rules for all classes of LSR, but that would be a lot to ask I'm guessing. Regardless of the various rules of construction I will build to the best safety rules to ensure my survival if it all goes wrong during my attempts. The fact is that the reason for rules should be the safety of the racers and the spectators first and then the leveling/fairness of the classes. That last bit has been a sticky spot. I would love to see the unification of LSR rules, but could the various org. bodies check the egos at the door and build a better mouse trap? Time will tell..... In the mean time I'll build it for the "day after" so I can do it again. What is it about that stretch of salt? :-)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 11:05:40 PM »
Bak
I re-read the sidecar rules, 7.I.
John's sidecar fits what I read,
For those concerned about USFRA, scta has inspectors there to certify the records, USFRA inspection is not easier, they just seem happy to have you race at their meet.  I always enjoy the USFRA folks and their events.

Everyone
Go read the rule book, look at the pictures and decide for yourself.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 12:52:33 AM »
Bob the way i read them rule thingys...that hack would be legal...i think he would have been able to exit without restriction...ya commin down next week?
kent

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 01:24:36 AM »
Looks like a quick trip to B-Ville is in order..