Author Topic: Dan how about tires????????  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Dan how about tires????????
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:00:37 PM »
In the rule book under tires I've always seen that the VR and ZR rated tires are good up to 200.

Looking for tires yesterday on the Internet I see that most of the ones I can find don't have the "R", but just the "V" and "Z".  I would assume they are the same since all of the tire speed charts just say V and Z??

Also I see that there are Y and W rated tires.

Q ............. 99 MPH ......... 160km/h 
S ............ 112 MPH ......... 180km/h 
T..............118 MPH ......... 190km/h 
U .............124 MPH ......... 200km/h 
H ............ 130 MPH ......... 210km/h 
V ............ 149 MPH ......... 240km/h 
Z ............ 149 MPH ......... 240km/h +
W............ 168 MPH ......... 270km/h 
Y ............ 186 MPH ......... 300km/h 

Since the W and Y are rated quite a bit higher than the 149 mph of the V and Z has there been any talk of accepting them for speeds over 200 mph??

If not is this something that a form could be filled out on to consider in the future??

Thanks,

Sum

dwarner

Re: Dan how about tires????????
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:24:35 PM »
Sum,

Your best bet is to take all the info you can, request a Rules Change form from the office and submit it for review.

I am no longer involved with rules.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:24:57 PM »
Sum,

Your best bet is to take all the info you can, request a Rules Change form from the office and submit it for review.

I am no longer involved with rules.

DW

Thanks, I'll look into doing that.  Does this interest anyone else??

Dan I know you are no longer involved with the rules, but since no one else in SCTA has been willing to step up and try and answer some of our questions would you mind still offering your opinion when you can in an "unofficial" way??

You have been a good link to the SCTA for some of us that aren't members.  I'm going to take care of that myself after the first by joining a club.

c ya,

Sum

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »

Sum,

I have to ask why you would even want to consider any of the above tires? When the Goodyear front runners are so inexpensive and come in various sizes. Is there a certain shape you are looking for?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »

Sum,

I have to ask why you would even want to consider any of the above tires? When the Goodyear front runners are so inexpensive and come in various sizes. Is there a certain shape you are looking for?

Tom G.

This would be for my pickup where I just hope to barely break 200 someday.  They would be about the same price as the front runners, but maybe I could actually drive on them to Maxton, El Mirage or the Salt if needed.  I wouldn't use them as a year around tire, but it would save me from hauling 4 tires/wheels in the teardrop with me.

At this point I'm just looking at options as I wouldn't need them to run the 135 class at Maxton this year and all of my efforts for the salt this year will revolve around the lakester.

c ya,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »
In the distant past tires were available at a reasonable price which were alowed to run right at 200. Michlen and BFG both had "highway pursuit" tires which were a minimum H rated and most were V's. I have an old set of these H series and ran them on my 40 Chev over 150 with no problem and over 160 on my roadster. They are a 70 series, I believe, most were 28" tall.

These were made for highway patrol vehicles of the 70's. These cars wighed in at 4000# and could run all day accross Montana over 100 mph. I recall one streamliner (which I will not mention) run the same 130 mph tires I had over 240 at El Mirage. It's only a mile and I'm sure heat was not a problem.

Times have changed and lawyers have changed everything we do. We are all just one "accident" from never running again and having tons of scrap metal and fiberglass at home.  At this time it would not be in the best interests of any of us to "lower" the limits. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:59:11 PM »
Sum,
Sounds like the old GMC is in for some work!? Good to have future projects already lined up.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »
.................. At this time it would not be in the best interests of any of us to "lower" the limits. Good Luck

JD I'm confused about the above.  If the V and Z that are rated to 149 mph are allowed to run to 200 why couldn't a higher speed be looked at for the better, in fact quite a bit better, Y and W rated tires that are rated to 168 and 186 on the highway.  When the decision was made to run the V and Z's to 200 I don't believe the Y and W's were around.  If these tires are truly better than the V and Z's how would raising their allowed speed to somewhere over 200 be "lowering" the limits??

Thanks for the input,

Sum

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »
Sum,

For MAXTON:  SOME parts from the ECTA '07 rulebook, General Competition Requirements, page 12, 11-6 TIRES:

Up to 175 MPH:     HR rated tires.

Up to 200 MPH:     VR or ZR rated tires.

Up to 220 MPH:     WR & YR rated tires or steel-belted drag radials.

Lot more to that section but think that covers what you are considering for now [to run at Maxton] until you get your new ECTA '08 book. 

Ed

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Sum,

For MAXTON:  SOME parts from the ECTA '07 rulebook, General Competition Requirements, page 12, 11-6 TIRES:

Up to 175 MPH:     HR rated tires.

Up to 200 MPH:     VR or ZR rated tires.

Up to 220 MPH:     WR & YR rated tires or steel-belted drag radials.

Lot more to that section but think that covers what you are considering for now [to run at Maxton] until you get your new ECTA '08 book. 

Ed

Thanks, so it does look like ECTA has move past just the V and Z rated tires and recognizes the W and Y rated tires,

Sum

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 12:26:28 AM »
The R means the tire is a radial. Virtually every new tire is a radial, unless you have a special tire for a classic car or a racing car.

DW is right, fill out a rules change request form.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:40:16 AM »
Sum, Dean is correct. The R only means the tire is a radial. The Z means the tire is rated above 149 mph. There is no real Z speed rating.  As in 195/60ZR15. Then between the tire size and the rim you'll find a alpha numeric designation, such as, 68W, 71W or many others. The numbers indicate the weight rating and the letters indicate the speed rating. That being said, at least with motorcycle tires, I have found no rhyme or reason as to how they arrive at the rating. Meaning, 2 tires, same size, same mfg., only different tread design will have a different load/speed rating. I guess it's what you can't see.  :-D Hope that helps.   

Larry Cason

Maybe they're using Dan's old DC meter... :?
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 07:23:57 AM »
Hey sum - Here is a nice little writeup on weight and speed ratings on tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
Great article.  I think I'll print it and put it in my logbook to use for reference when I'm inspecting tires.  I didn't know about those last numbers/letter, and now that I do -- hey, I think I'm ahead of most folks.  Thanks for the link.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
Sum, I prefaced my note with in the distant past, pre '80. What was done then would never be done now. The "L" word comes to mind.

As for the liner I believe I'm the only one outside the owner who knew what he used. The wheel/tire combo was very well covered and maybe no one really looked.

As for Maxton's allowable rating and what they allow you need to ask them; but have a 130 tire blow at 175 and have a magor injury. I hope the guys running the show and the deep pocket members  have a lot of insurance.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro