Author Topic: New guy question, Best wheel bearings?  (Read 5409 times)

Offline saltybob

• New folks
New guy question, Best wheel bearings?
« on: October 14, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
Hello all,

I have a friend that is updating his 54 Hudson to a mustang II front end and we are at the point where bearings are in question. Knowing lil about LS stuff Im not finding much info on what ball bearing setups are being used at the hubs. I hope to make it to next months runs to see for myself or if Im chasing my tail but till then Im hoping someone might set me strait.
Bob

Offline saltybob

• New folks
Re: New guy question, Best wheel bearings?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »
60 views and no replys,
  Must be a real good question or a real stupid one.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »
Is it going to run on the salt/dirt??  What class??

Me I would just start with parts house bearings for the rotors you are running.  Are they Ford or GM rotors??

My way of thinking is that the Hudson might be pretty big for MII, but they seem to put them on anything.  I like the Camaro sub-frame on my truck a lot.

Welcome,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
SBob, we use regular old timkin rollers, not balls, front and rear, but we are not a standard front or rear...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline saltybob

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:31:05 AM »
The Hudson's running the stock motor and body besides the front suspension on salt as for class Im not to sure.
The MII is a hiedts heavy swing arm setup coil overs and #750 rate springs and wilwood hubs.
I would think twice before I put a stock MII on anything myself.
 Sounds like I am chasing my tail and will look at the timkin rollers.
Thanks for the info guys.
Bob

Blue

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 04:16:31 PM »
Hello all,

I have a friend that is updating his 54 Hudson to a mustang II front end and we are at the point where bearings are in question. Knowing lil about LS stuff Im not finding much info on what ball bearing setups are being used at the hubs. I hope to make it to next months runs to see for myself or if Im chasing my tail but till then Im hoping someone might set me strait.
Bob

Can't help for a specific application.  If you go to www.timken.com you can get at their online catalogs and engineering manuals.  Everything you could never imagine about bearings and seals.

We ended up going with super-precision Fafner, 4 per hub in tandem pairs.  Larger diameter would have given us the higher load to use only two bearings, but the smaller diameter was dictated by the RPM.  In general, for greased bearings tapered rollers are only good to 200,000 to 250,000 d*n (bearing mid diameter times rpm).  Anything higher needs caged ball.  Our application topped out at ~800,000, which required a higher precision version made for high speed machine tools.  What we replaced would have exploded at 700 to 750 mph.  Remember Art Arfons bearing failure? This was one killer we eliminated.

Offline vette#128

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »
If you want the really good stuff ceramic balls. Performance Bearing in AZ can sell you a ceramic bearing, just give him the correct Timkin number.
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)