Author Topic: Where do I buy LSR or speed rated tires  (Read 14658 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Where do I buy LSR or speed rated tires
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
Since I will be running the 33 Vicky "high boy style" (no fenders) I would like rear tires in the 28" to 30" tall and maybe 7" to 9" tread width using 15" rims. This seems to be more nostalgic ? Can't finf them in H, V, Z or W  ratings.. BFG's are right size but only "S" rated,,(112 mph I think)  Need H or higher speed ratings?

Any suggestions?

Charles

P.S.  sorry for so may "new guy" questions
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

roadtrip

Re: Where do I buy LSR or speed rated tires
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »
Look at any enthusiast magazine and pick out all the tire manufacturers ads.
Skip the warehouses and package deals - go directly to the manufacturers site and search their whole on-line catalog.
Look at Falken, Nitto, Bridgestone or whatever names you find - try PepBoys too, they have a line of 'H' and higher rated tires.
I searched websites all last summer before I found the right combination. Don't get stuck in the performance/high performance either - they're usually a lot shorter and wider than what you want. I found what I needed in the 'truck & suv' section and the 'all weather' section - taller sidewalls, relatively narow tread and H rated.
Keep looking - you'll find it.
DS     

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:42:17 PM »
RoadTrip,

Thanks,, good idea,, did not know SUV/Truck tires would be H rated or better.. I knew I could get the height. 

Thanks again..
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 03:41:51 AM »
goodyear and micky both sell LSR tires in 28 for a 15 rim... if your gonna lsr it dont waist your time with street tires... i think the blockleys and dunlops are 30 or 32's

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
goodyear and micky both sell LSR tires in 28 for a 15 rim... if your gonna lsr it dont waist your time with street tires... i think the blockleys and dunlops are 30 or 32's

Kent, don't forget he is running on pavement I believe, since the post is under ECTA.

Sum

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »
I screwed up and bought Kumhos - ESCTA is model.  They're OK except they're only about 24" tall and kinda wide.  One of my friends has some Pirellis that are Z rated, tall, and skinny.  Sorry I don't know the series.  I suspect that they're truck tires of some sort.

I own and will run next year with a set of BFG Drag Radials.  These are speed rated (Z, I think) and are good for Maxton.  You need to leave kind of hard as you only have a mile to get there, so the extra sticky is a good thing.

The first time E/CGALT was run, it was me in my old Camaro six.  The current record holder has a '35 Ford coupe with a 215 aluminum Buick.  You won't gain much or anything from reduced weight (I didn't believe it when the guys told me that, but I have the slips to prove it), so go ahead and put in the cage.

I considered the tiny small block build, using a 264 with a 3" stroke crank, but the valve limitations with the tiny bores seemed like a problem (only so much valve will fit).  I didn't try working out the combo with a 307 - will it get you there?  A custom stroke crank is way out of my budget.  So I'm going on ahead with the six, but I truly have no idea how it'll run with more power (I hope!) this year.  It'll be fun to have someone to compare notes with.

See you in the Spring
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
Firestone sells a 15" tire that is V rated and 27.4" tall. Tread width is 7.5" These are made for Police Crusiers and are called Firehawk PV41. Cost around $150 each

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »
Dan,
 I am having my engineer double check, but a 305 chevy block with custom rod, crank and pistons with a 2.860 stroke will net 255 cubic inches. Using a roller cam setup and a flow-tech or Barry Grant 750cfm carb will put approx 550-HP   that should more than take care of the 35 Ford Coupe,,, but that darn motor will cost me  3 times more to build than the 507HP  383 stroker I have in my 36 Roadster,,, HP cost big bucks when you use small cubic inches like the E and D class...

I hope to make my final decison soon,,, I can go faster cheaper by using a 355 or 383  but not be in record contention with my 33 Vicky body style,,, my dilema is either run for a record or run just fun,,,, fun is cheaper,, and I am sure David in and his 35 Ford would rather I don't build the high winding 255...

Charles
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:07:42 PM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 10:10:11 PM »
Burner,  I will look into the F-Stones... For the look of the car as well as what I have read skinny taller tires are better,,, I am trying to get as close  to 28" to 29"
tall and stay around 8" wide ..Thanks...
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 11:37:35 PM »
... 255 cubic inches... approx 550-HP ... but that darn motor will cost me  3 times more to build than the 507HP  383 stroker I have in my 36 Roadster,,, HP cost big bucks when you use small cubic inches like the E and D class...

Charles

CKid, it's like the old saying goes... takes cubic inches or cubic dollars..... 3 times may be a low estimate...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »
Firestone sells a 15" tire that is V rated and 27.4" tall. Tread width is 7.5" These are made for Police Crusiers and are called Firehawk PV41. Cost around $150 each

All the Firehawk PV41's that I've found or 225X60X16 inch.  Could you give me a link to the 15 inch you have mentioned??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »
SS,  yeah  Cubic Dollars   :-D :-D  I guess you are right. Part of me wants to have fun and start out with less money invested in the motor, but the other part wants a class record first time off the trailer.   My Body and Chassis will meet for the first time around the first of Feb, at that time I have to get working on the cage... I need to make up my mind on Motor by Jan 1. in order to have it done and dyno'd in time...

Any Idea what rear gears I need... I was thinking 320 to 350 ?  My fourth gear is overdrive .70 ratio... I would like to turn 5,000 to 6,000 rpms going through the traps.. (motor will turn more, but why wind it up if I don't need to)

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 11:54:34 PM »
Sum,  I cant find the 15" stones either,,, Goodyear makes an Eagle RSA  about 28" tall  bit only H rated (130 mph I think)  Guess I may have to settle for H rated tires  or go a bit shorter/wider and keep the speed down...
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 12:33:15 AM »
SS,  yeah  Cubic Dollars   :-D :-D  I guess you are right. Part of me wants to have fun and start out with less money invested in the motor, but the other part wants a class record first time off the trailer.   My Body and Chassis will meet for the first time around the first of Feb, at that time I have to get working on the cage... I need to make up my mind on Motor by Jan 1. in order to have it done and dyno'd in time...

Any Idea what rear gears I need... I was thinking 320 to 350 ?  My fourth gear is overdrive .70 ratio... I would like to turn 5,000 to 6,000 rpms going through the traps.. (motor will turn more, but why wind it up if I don't need to)

Have you looked at my spreadsheets??  You can figure all your gear stuff and shift points and rpm loss between shifts there:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

Are you running a 700R4 with the .70 overdrive.  Be careful if that is the case as they are not real strong in 4th.  Also the 30% rpm drop can kill you.  My truck will run right up to 115 in 3rd, but falls on its face going into 4th (700R4).  You are going to have to make sure you have the power to pull back up.  I'm setting my truck up to run on the salt now and just got a 4L80E built for 700 HP, but will use 2.47 Ford gears or 2.28 GM gears (thanks Sparky) and run it in 3rd only as even in that transmission the .75 overdrive is the weak link.  I'll run 28 inch tires.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 12:58:03 AM »
SUM,,  you know your gear ratios.. Yes 700R4 built for 600 HP 600 Ft. Lbs TQ.  In a light car with 550HP I hope I am ok.  If I am correct  your tranny and mine both have the same  1 to 1 ratio in third ?  I too a will use 28" tires...If  use only third gear I will need gears around 270,  with 4th. gear I can use 321 to 355 and be ok.

I would like to plan on using 4th gear.

FYI -  TCI has a neat new Constant Preasure Valve Body for the 700R4... If you have a beefed up tranny this new valve body and servo kit will make a world of differance and also keeps high line presure for real crisp shits and prevents damage from a poorly adjusted TV cable..
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT