Author Topic: Speedweek - Radar idea  (Read 2001 times)

davidhaile

Speedweek - Radar idea
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
I work for a company that makes radar guns for speed signs and cops.  I'm trying to come up with an idea of something that 1.) might be useful for racers at Bonneville, to result in 2.) me bringing out some fun items on the company ticket to play with for Speed Week.  I'm sure the company will want their sign up somewhere for advertising purposes but doubt if they'll have any other stipulation on my proposed visit.  Of course, no charge of any kind is anticipated for this service.

The item that I've thought about is the ability to map the speed of each vehicle several times per second when the vehicle is in the mile-long speed measuring location.  I think this would be useful information for racers to know.  It would be displayed in a graph and is the sort of information that the more advanced teams might have built into the on-board computer in the vehicle.

The device would of course be unattended during the speed run but will need some sort of connection (could be wireless - distance to be determined) between runs to download the data into a computer.

The accuracy of radar-based speed detection is not high enough for any sort of official use.

I speak only for myself and haven't run this idea by Management yet.

Emails are preferred since I'm not confident of my ability to remember to login and check this group very often!