Author Topic: NOS Solenoids Problems when pulsed?  (Read 10423 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
NOS Solenoids Problems when pulsed?
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:31:35 AM »
Hi yet another problem raises its ugly head. I will be altering the duty cycle on a pair of NOS solenoids I think they are just about the biggest ones NOS do to act as a controller rather than using a progressive system but apparently there can be problems with overheating/sticking and generaly being unreliable when pulsed.
Has anyone come across this problem or solved this problem and which units/models/makes would be the best to be used in this arangment.
Also another can of worms Dual stage Multi stage How and which ones are the ones to go for apparently Dave Shnitz is who I should be talking to on this one so if you are out there any help would be appreciated
Many thanks OZ.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:49:00 AM by oz »
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline David

• New folks
Re: NOS Solenoids Problems when pulsed?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »
OZ, you can contact Dave Schnitz at  www.schnitzracing.com nice to see another Brit on here.

racin jason

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
mike golightly(sp) at nitrous express has some knowledge that will help you out.
i ran a 2 dial schnitz controller in 04 that worked well. the only problem being that it would time out after 15 seconds. when you reset the box  you can choose to start at the begining of the ramp or full hp. i was running the m/c nx solenoids without any failures over 3 years and 100lbs of nitrous used.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 02:33:36 AM »
Nice one Thanks for the replies but from the response it doesnt seem like there is too much of a problem with the NOS solenoids themselves, maybe its just the exception rather than the rule!
Welcome to the Forum Dave what are you into LSR or other.You Dont Run a small Kawasaki by any chance do you ?
Thanks Guys OZ
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »
Hey, Jason -- I had the same issue with the Schnitz controller.  15 seconds, the bike nosed over, I'd wait-wait-wait then push the button again and ZOOM!

So I had to learn how to hold the button for a while to pick up speed -- oh, say, in the second quarter of one of the miles, then let off to reset, then get back on it so I'd have the spray through as much of the measured mile of choice as I could.

Way too much thinking for me while I'm just trying to keep it straight -- so I went to the MoTeC and don't have to think any more.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:24:54 AM »
we never had the time out problem.......Dennis S. at Schnitz
who makes the controllers, simply reflashes another processor/chip
and you can customize any of the features.......the 15 sec timeout
was meant as a safety feature for drag racers...........

two minutes worked ok for us......

if your using those very large solenoids.....start adding up all the amp
draw.....pump(s), ign, solenoids etc.......

Joe

racin jason

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip Joe. I still couldn't get close to your fuel record if i started spraying at the 0 mile!!
Agent Orange will be out again in 08 :-)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
Joe i also got the extended chip for my schnitz "pro series" ignition box... i think the problem is with the add on schnitz "NOS" controller box... GO GO at NX is very knowledgable and has helped me out alot in the past also Tommy Bolton can help ya...I would talk to them if your looking for something other than a sales pitch
kent

Offline David

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »
Hi Oz & all you lsr`s,
I`m into dragbikes have been for 30 plus years building & racing them.
I read a book when I was 8 years old, about record breakers & LSR that just me got hooked bad addiction aint it :-D,  no salt flats where i grew up so when I found out about drag racing in the uk that was it.
I dont run a small kawasaki I`am waiting for the rule book to arrive so I can see what class I want to run in for 2009 but I will be at Bonneville in 2008 as a spectator life time ambition to get there cant wait to fly over.   

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:25:56 AM »
 :-DCool Dave thats what me amd the misses did last year you will love it, but if you want to stay in a hotel book in january, the rooms go very very quickly we had a big camper RV but even with the aircon running full blast its still damm hot.The Reason I asked about the Kawasaki was I was at Bonneville this year and there was a Team from Stockton racing an AR250 or at least I think thats what it was and one of the guys was called Dave I dont know how they did but it was nice to see an English contingent out there.It will be the first time racing for me in 09 I have a few mates into sprinting and grasstrack racing over here but I dont have any contacts in Drag racing I got started in bike building 20 odd years ago and loads of my bikes have been featured in BSH/Streetfighter/AWOL but this is all new to me hope I get it right! This is a great site to be on and everyone has ben real helpfull and they dont mind if you ask daft questions which is a blessing coz ive asked loads any way take care Dave and have a good Crimbo if you are down near Santa Pod Beds area giz an E Mail and maybe we can talk Bike for an hour or two
Cheers OZ 

I have a copy of 06 rule book printed out, if you have a problem with post or it does'nt arrive E mail me and I will post it up to you 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:46:12 AM by oz »

Offline David

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »
thanks Oz, you have a pm

Offline power58

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:05:41 PM »
Most solenoids are designed to be full open or closed. If you pulse width modulated a standard solenoid , The solenoid armature would come off its seat and flow would  not be well metered. The armature movement would not be linear. A throttling  solenoid valve would be requred in your application. I don't know of anyone that makes a throttling valve that could handle the extream cold temps.
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 05:16:14 AM »
Hey Dave Check your pms need your address
Merry Christmas one and all

Offline rockstar

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »
Hi OZ.
I am the Dave from the english team you were talking about,the bike was a KR1s kwak running in the P/P class and came away  with the record.
We are about an hour from Santa Pod Raceway.
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
hey rockstar
do i remember correctly that eithor you or someone you know has a lot of Moto Morini parts..?...
kent