Author Topic: New to LSR, need help on choosing a class  (Read 8005 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
New to LSR, need help on choosing a class
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:40:18 PM »
Hello out ther in LSR land,

I feel like a rookie (yes I am).  I am building a 1933 Ford Vicky (open wheel high boy sedan) I know the engine class will be based upon my cubic inches.   At present my plan is to us a 255 cubic inch small block chevy V8 with no power adders just a single carb running gas. I assume that would be "E" class... That seems easy.  Now what is the body class?   Classic Gas Coupe/Sedan ?  Classic Gas Altered? Classic Production?  I am not sure?

Any help or insigh would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline RichFox

Re: New to LSR, need help on choosing a class
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:44:21 PM »
Could be a Gas Coup or an altered depending on engine placement and other things outlined in the rule book. Never going to make it into Production.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »
Charles please tell me that the body you have is a glass one if its a steel car I have a stremliner project I will trade you. thanks mike

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »
The vehicle in question does fit in the "Classic" class. By your description it would not be able to be a gas coupe due to the lack of fenders. At minimum it would be an altered allowing you to remove other items and do some covering.

A 255 Chev V-8 old small block style is a an expensive engine to build for a vehicle which would very tough to get near the record. That might not be your intent but you will need to meet the safety requirements of the class record you are running. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:51:32 AM »
The next thing you need to acquire is a rule book. it will help you figure out lots of stuff and is a must to build a car or bike that will get through tech.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  The Body is a Glass Body no fenders. I will have a six point roll bar or 8 point cage.  That should cert me to 150 MPH or 175 MPH, YES The 255 cubic inch chevy is expensive to destroke a 305, but It will make about 500 HP... From what I see here in NC at ECTA  "Maxton Motor Mile" a   Classic gas altered coupe in E class has a record at just over 112mph. I am sure this 255 will blow that away....I could be wrong but the current fenderless 35 Ford Coupe has a 215 Buick NailHead that is not putting out much over 300HP.. I sure think a 255 Chevy Small Block with even 450 HP  would pull the vicky well over 150 MPH... Am I thinking all wrong?  Or are the records at Bonneville in E CGAlt much higher than the 112MPH here at Maxton?

Back to the 1933 HighBoy Vicky,  Glass Body, No Fenders, Roll bar or cage, engine set back 1.5 inches from stock. 3" chopped top, assume 255 v8.. do I have class options?  Or would it be  E/CGALT only?

Thanks again for all your kind and informtive replies,, I hope to debut at Maxton, NC in April and then make it to Bonneville soon after...

Please if my plan of using the 255 is off base, I would appreciate any insight... on engine size and body class... the only thing I can not change  at this time is the Body.. It will remain a 33 Vicky no fenders.  I am not married to E class but think a record is in reach there and would be fun without breaking the wallet to go 200MPH in the other higher classes.
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »
The Bonneville E/CGAlt in the '07 rule book was 201.477.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 12:23:59 PM »
wow,,,, so to run there I would have to have a cage and safety equip for over 200MPH?  Hmm, Not sure the lil 255 can do that much in a mile...  I just checked at ECTA,, this fall the  E/CGALT record was set in the standing start mile at 112 MPH... Gosh I am sure the 255 can do that no problem out here,,, so If I did bring that set up to Bonneville, I could only run for time?  Unless my cage was cert for 200MPH + ?

I will re think the engine and class a bit,,, hmm may have  a spare motor for out there...

Thanks

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
wow,,,, so to run there I would have to have a cage and safety equip for over 200MPH?  Hmm, Not sure the lil 255 can do that much in a mile...  I just checked at ECTA,, this fall the  E/CGALT record was set in the standing start mile at 112 MPH... Gosh I am sure the 255 can do that no problem out here,,, so If I did bring that set up to Bonneville, I could only run for time?  Unless my cage was cert for 200MPH + ?

I will re think the engine and class a bit,,, hmm may have  a spare motor for out there...

Thanks

Charles

There isn't all that much difference in safety to run 199 and over 200.  Why not just set the car up for the over 200 in the first place and be done with it.  I think at b'ville you will be up against an aero wall with that body no matter what engine size you pick if you are trying to break a record.  If you want to just do it for fun go for it.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »

Thanks

Charles

Charles, the short course at Bonneville is 3 miles long.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 03:15:31 PM »
I agree with the areo wall at B'ville on either course with a Vicky,,,  I hope that body will do OK at the standing mile in Maxton. (I have never done this, my previous experiance was 20 years ago  "1/4 mile style")

Looks like put a good cage in it and a good 350 or 383 and "run for fun" I can get a 350 or 383 at 500 HP for 1/2 the money it costs to custom build the 255. Then If/when I get hooked on this LSR stuff decide what record and do another motor.. at least the body, chassis and safety equip will be done.

Sure a lot of stuff to consider,,, I just want a vintage style racer to have fun with, go fast and be safe,,,

You guys are a class act, thaks for your assistance.  I will post some pics as the project develops.
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
..............................Looks like put a good cage in it and a good 350 or 383 and "run for fun" I can get a 350 or 383 at 500 HP for 1/2 the money it costs to custom build the 255. Then If/when I get hooked on this LSR stuff decide what record and do another motor.. at least the body, chassis and safety equip will be done..............

Sounds like a good plan and one guaranteed to be fun. 

The only problem is once out there the competitive spirit will come back and you will want to at least try for a record,  which will mean this car will be good practice for building a car that has a chance at a record.

It will be a good journey though,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
I have a strong feeling you are right. (that's my fear, that It will be an addiction) Seems like the Vicky will be fun, but that body will face some areo challenges that it will not face here on the standing start mile. It's a good place to start and have fun with and it should be a hoot to show off at the local car shows and cruise in's... but I am sure the old desire to be competitive will return and another car will follow...mmm I am going to need a bigger shop....LOL

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
As always, it may be a good idea to check out the USFRA 130 mph club. One mile on the same salt. You are not suspossed to go much faster than 130mph and you don't need a lot of saftey stuff. If that spools you up go for a class. Classic alowes Vegas and Monzas. Pretty slick cars. Vintage is for your car but you need a flathead or pre '59 inline engine.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 04:21:58 PM »
Rich, thanks,, the 130MPH club sounds fun for a first visit to the salt.  I found some info but it does not provide info on body or engine classes.  It has the safety info and the tech sheet and says street legal vehicles etc... So does that use a class system or just run for fun and stay 130 to 139 MPH ?   Also what kind of speedo would be retro to stay in my vintage era car that would be close to accurate enough to keep me from ging over 139 but at least 130?   Will those portable electronic gizmos work.  or will a basic hot rod speedo that registers 140 or 160 work?
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT