Author Topic: Motorcycle design layout questions for streamliners  (Read 19399 times)

Offline tortoise

Re: Motorcycle design layout questions for streamliners
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 11:19:31 AM »
I think that for what I would like to do /achieve a tiny partial streamlined special construction scooter is much more the way to go. the vespa record of 106miles per hour would my stage 1 goal .
In what sanctioning organization are these records? I don't see a DLRA scooter class in their rulebook. FIM scooter records are for very limited modification stock-type chassis.

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »
Hi all

this is my first post but i,m also looking at building a scooter powered stream liner. been reading some of the previous posts Regarding 10"tyres  with these old scooter engines (Vespa & Lambretta) you have no choice on the size of rims as the engine casings on both brands restricts tyre size. But you can buy scooter racing tyres here is a link to the best ones.

http://scooter-center.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8706&language=en&PHPSESSID=55e5345d5e09d012e9d85ab326a97d83

would appreciate an feedback on this subject , and any other comments.Sorry not trying to hijack this post only add to it.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
Though they're not 10" (RIM) size, yrs truly is pretty sure Costella has used tires other than the obsolete Goodyear Top Fuel tires but rather racing tires from the mini-moto road racing world which  are7" rim bonifide racing tires from Italy on the yellow laydown bike. The TF tires were for 5" rims.

Not the same, but if those 7"s were run, a precedent has been set, seems to me.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 12:11:53 AM »
Make that pocket bike rim size 6.5" and one race tire Mfr is Blata!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 01:10:02 AM »
Thanks for your insight,Regarding the link above does anybody think these tyres would be ok as they are for racing use only? my freind has a set but they have no speed rating on them and the link above is the only info iv'e been able to find regarding any, and i have contact the manufacers directly but not reply (and dont speak German). Vespazari i think this will have to be your biggest consideration before doing any thing(please pm me if you have any good answers regarding this)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 02:02:12 AM »
nope i dont think so... and neithor does the scta.
kent

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 02:26:58 AM »
can you give me anymore info into why you and the SCTA think not? I dont think you would do more than 130 mph (209kph)with a vintage scooter engine and the link above say though's tyres have been tested to OVER 200kph with 200kg(440lbs) of weight (I'm from New Zealand and would like to race in the US and Australia as we have no where to race at home here)

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 04:03:10 AM »
the tires do not have a speed rating and the construction is wrong for sustained high speed use...you can contact the scta for their determination and opinion but they have not allowed them in the past
kent

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 04:27:59 AM »
Thanks for yor reply, I think i will try to keep contacting the people in germany how produce the tyres and see if we can obtain more info(i.e paper work) and a speed rating(As we all know germans have an eye for detail) as if we can not find a tyre we can not run. In saying that I Know a guy in the UK how does speed trials with a lambretta that uses the stock split rims and tubs, Coninential Twist tyres(70mph rated) and has run 122mph on an FIA track.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks for yor reply, I think i will try to keep contacting the people in germany how produce the tyres and see if we can obtain more info(i.e paper work) and a speed rating(As we all know germans have an eye for detail) as if we can not find a tyre we can not run.

Send a PM to Porkpie, I suspect he speaks german as a primary language... he might be able to serve as an interpreter, if you can understand his english.....  :roll:  Just kidding Porkpie  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 08:53:34 AM »
Stainless - you over wrote my response!

I had typed:

Just because someone is using these tires doesn't mean the tires are suited to the application. Watch some you-tube videos of people doing things that seemed a good idea at the time.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
Stainless - you over wrote my response!
DW

Dan, My IP is faster than your IP, hey, racing is racing, what else can we do until the week before Bonneville when we start preparing the race car....  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
lammy...good luck with conti.!...you will have a hard time finding a tire manu that will give any tire test info....i bet the only responce you will get is "do not exceed our speed rating"...now most of us smart guys know that any kind of rating is only there for the amusement of the corp lawer but the SCTA has taken a firm stance on tire ratings... i think a good thing....
kent

Offline JimW

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »
Clearly you don't want the body frontal area to be any larger than the largest thing in the bike.  What's the biggest thing?  The engine or you?  Feet first would seem to have some aerodynamic advantages in a narrower front end.  (At least, my shoulders are wider than my feet.)

Something I have not seen mentioned too much as regards the 'flat on your back' riding position is that, if you are the biggest thing (vs the engine), you need to be as flat as possible.  Well, if you are laying flat on your back, I don't think you can see forward.

2 possibilities to overcome this come to mind. 

First is a periscope prism/mirror arrangement that would allow you to see forward.  Jack Costella had a periscope on one of his racers - so no new ground there.  You're just going to have to design it to give wide enough forward vision to meet the rules.  (FWIW, Jack told me he didn't like it.)

Second possibility is a video camera and flat panel display.  Some of the human powered bicycle riders are using these on their fully enclosed bikes.  You'll need some lenses to adjust for the short focal length.  This has not been done in LSR to my knowledge, but I did float the question a while back.  Response was 'we'll have to see it', but I wasn't shut down.  Proof would have to be provided that whatever system provided ample visibility and (for me at least) had an automatic fail over.  (going fast, screen goes dark, uh oh).

I can't address the issue of balance while lying flat on your back, might be interesting.  Seems that the human head was designed for balance with the head upright - don't know how good the physiology is for head looking straight up. Certainly the mixed signals of ears say I'm going down, eyes say I'm going forward, would be an excellent recipe for vertigo.

Claustrophobic street luge anyone?

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
What happens when your video camera that drives the flat screen for front vision vibrates loose and falls off at 300mph?
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.