Author Topic: Motorcycle design layout questions for streamliners  (Read 19400 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Motorcycle design layout questions for streamliners
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 12:05:35 AM »
There is a THIRD   configuration and that's the way rider on/in the Kreidler mid '60s/'70s machines rode.

Kind of a crouch on one's knees.

From unsucsesful LSR bike work,I firmly believe the supine (reclining) seat is the hardest to learn, but you can't argue with the sucess of the fast guys that have gone that way and continue to do so.

We'd messed around with a rider on his belly but with the ability to extend legs out thru stirups in the body sides to balance back in the early '70s. The sides would retract with the rider's legs when balance was achieved.
Not too legal today I suspect!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 12:35:44 AM »
My money is on John and Eric.

I'm right with you. It's hard to convince anybody that a record under 200 is amazing, but that's the only description for a record set with a piston you can hide in your hand.

This isn't from their engine, but you get the idea. 133 freakin miles per hour.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 03:15:30 AM »
Yes I do have the Vesco lightning bolt bike liner in my shop…those whom have seen it at last weeks party all have commented how badly  Don destroyed it and walked away. Mike Akatif looked at it today and got a pretty good chuckle when I said they wanted to rebuild it….the problem with a “kneeler” or a belli flopper is when you get your back flat, you cant see out the front of your helmet… Mike McCarty even  had problems with the “ironing board” record setter.
Here are pix of the Kreidler…..

The only thing you definitely need to do is to get the riders inner ear above his belli button, you cant lay flat…… when you raise the riders head you will be able to balance the vehicle

Offline vespazari

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input, I will certainly take all your feedback on board.
My original intention for running is not set a motorcycle land speed record but to beat the records set by the vespa and Lambretta motorscooter manufacturers in the 1950's , under their definition of a motorscooter as a two wheeled vehicle with rim diameter of 10", total capacity of 125c.c  and a direct drive transmision ,built directly off the engine cases. But do to the fact that those records were set independently and under no restrictions of safety regulations to build a similar vehicle today, I would not be allowed to run.
Therefore I have decided to continue and attempt to build something using the current regulations.
I am attempting to base a design around my body build which I believe will aid in such a small capacity machine. I am only 5 feet 4 inches tall, and weigh approximately 55kilos.

I sat down last night placed a helmet on my head and with the aid of my trusty camera proceded to take a few snaps of different positions, before I read these replies and figured out that if length is not really a factor laying on your back feet forward would be the lowest possible position you could attain, even lower than head first due to the vision restricions of a helmet. is length really not as big of a concern?
i still did not come to any conclusions on which will be best for what i want to do .

If I decided to go with the kneeled Kreidler position , would this be acceptable today, or have we already  confirmed that as long as you are indeed strapped in it will pass current regulation.?

yep bones its Nate  I guess after swinging off  of roadracing LCR sidecars I just don't want to be a strapped in and can't shake the box monocoque designs

bak189

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:08 AM »
The kneeling riding position is not a problem...(our LSR sidecar is a kneeler just like Bone's LCR
roadracer)
The problem is in finding a way to attach and mount the safety belts for a inclosed liner...........

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 04:00:56 PM »
The kneeling riding position is not a problem...(our LSR sidecar is a kneeler just like Bone's LCR
roadracer)

bob do you have to wear seatbelts in your  sidecar at bonneville   willie
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 04:02:30 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
Sure looks like the thumb got between the hammer and what ever you were trying to hit. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

bak189

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Willie....no seat-belts on our sidecar required....
in fact we don't won't them.....................................
That video you have watched several times, of our mishap just off the starting line showed that Larry had no problem getting off and away from the outfit.......................................................................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
the scta says if the riders exit is restricted you have to run in the streamline class --then in the streamliner class you would need to meet all of the streamliner rules do they do the same at  bub or can your exit be restricted and if so how much and who would make that ruling  --is that more than one question ?    willie
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:24:32 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »
BUB also want the rider/passenger to be able to exit the outfit unrestricted..................................
The final decision to be made by AMA Steward
Ken Saillant and FIM Steward Charles Hennekam.

However, it should be noted that the Tech. inspectors and officials are more "liberal" and they do not expect you to bring a saw to Tech.
to modify your bike and/or sidecar.  They are.... and have been very open to discussion.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 02:09:02 AM »
so nate... ya still plan on running 10"hoops?
kent

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 04:34:59 AM »
so nate... ya still plan on running 10"hoops?
kent

legal down under kent for motor scooters
slower than most

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »
may be legal but ya think they are safe? How fast ya plannin ya go.?...
kent

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
may be legal but ya think they are safe? How fast ya plannin ya go.?...
kent

The vehicle will be limited to the speed rating of the tyres ,a direct drive 125cc vespa ,use your imagination  :-D
slower than most

Offline vespazari

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
DefiNATEly going to run ten inch wheels , I would be over the moon to break the lambretta record of 204km which is 126miles , however I do not know If I can afford to go that fast .... I had a visit from bones the other day, and had a chat with him about designs etc... I think that for what I would like to do /achieve a tiny partial streamlined special construction scooter is much more the way to go. the vespa record of 106miles per hour would my stage 1 goal .