Author Topic: Manifold Air Temperature  (Read 3047 times)

Offline hitz

Manifold Air Temperature
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:04:42 AM »

While sorting out the wiring on my lakester project,  I discovered I had forgotten to provide a place for the MAT. I've made independent intake runners for my 1.9L Saturn DOC that is being set up for a old TEC II ECU. The stock Saturn was set up with the Air temp sensor in or close to the air cleaner location. I'm going to run a ice water heat exchange right in a large air box fed by a "NACA design" air vent.The MAP is mounted on a 1" aluminum tubing that is connected to each intake runner.

I'd like to get some input on where to put the MAT sensor.. Be nice. I can put it in the end of the 1" alum tubing, but it may be subject to heat sink and read a little slow. I'm thinking about mounting it about an inch above the the center TB's air bells.

I have Hayabusa TB's installed and I kept the stock Saturn injectors in place. I hope to run gas with the Busa injectors and a fuel class with all 8 injectors. Right now the engine is stock internally and I plan on running it in 2008 stock. It'll be time spent to sort it out and see what I've got to work with.

Any ideas you might have will be appreciated. :-o

You can see some of the intake system on Sumner's site if you click on the URL below.

Thanks

harvey

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Manifold Air Temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »
Harvey,
Glad to hear that we will see you at B'ville in 2008!!! If you haven't yet please update your build on Sum's site, anxious to see the progress on your car.

As for the MAT sensor I would suggest putting anyplace after your inlet charge cooler and don't be concerned about being close to the throttle body. I am putting electronic fuel injection, with individual throttle bodies on the small four cylinder in my street roadster and the fuel injection guy said that anyplace that was close to the same temp as the inlet air was good for the temp sensor. I don't think that the control loop for the inlet temp is very "tight" so putting it in a specific place is not critical just as long as it sees the same air temp as the engine.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hitz

Re: Manifold Air Temperature
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
Rex,

Thanks for the info. It was the answer I was looking for!

The time and money thing is a problem for all of us. The rains are finally here and I have plenty of time to work on the car. The money thing is going to be close to make it this year.

Thanks again for the info on the MAT location. Hope to see your roadster this year.

Harvey