Author Topic: 2008 MC Rules changes - steering stops  (Read 17542 times)

bak189

Re: 2008 MC Rules changes - steering stops
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »
Yes, SCTA/BNI does have very nice trophy's
I think your right, Kent.....it is hard to see from the drawing......the "king-pin" center line has to intersect thru center of the wheel to the contact patch.............the "king-pin needs to be inside the wheel....requiring a "off-set" wheel

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 01:17:36 AM »
speaking of christmas  yesturday fed-x came with a package from ok. i told sheri i didnt order anything from ok. but opened it anyway and there was the most most beautiful thing i ever saw a trophy for a record i set at bonneville the best christmas present i ever recieved  thanks everyone and a special thanks to clifton wheeler   willie buchta

Willie-
  Can you post a pic?  I have wondered what they looked like.  Congrats and Merry Christmas!   Scott
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 11:51:51 AM »
Speaking as a rider (Bak builds em and I ride em) everything I have ridden that he has built has either had leading link or conventional fork style front end. These have always been sidecars, including a streamliner, and they always handled excellent. It seems to me that keeping it simple eliminates a lot of potential problems. BUB uses a conventional style front end on his liner and he has tried them all. Remember, I only ride the thing, I don't build em!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »

:wink:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:12:07 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 01:02:17 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:11:37 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »
You got it sorted out, Willie......I think in order to get a hub you would have to make it yourself.....
you also need a wheel with a big off-set in order
to get the hub in the wheel center.........................
Marvic makes a 17 inch wheel with a off-set that
has been used on solo hub-center bikes.................

P.S.  Nice trophy.....you sure look a lot better than you "cousin"..........................................................

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 03:25:25 PM »
Yamama made one once on a production bike but soon found it was the obvious answer to a question that nobody had.
If you make a center hub, the wheel has to be centered over the hinge point but and an offset wheel is not required if the hub to wheel fastening is centered and the wheel is made appropriately.
Keep it simple so as to have more time to race. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
Center hub, leading link, trailing link, spindle, king pin... they'll all work if designed properly...

Terry,
You have one major problem with your design... "King pin inclination".... as your suspension moves your kingpin angle changes..You indicate on your drawing of a static 18deg (too steep for 300mph) as the suspension moves upward your planned 1.12"of travel, you will probably be at 8 to 10 deg. To fix this you have 3 options.
1) You need to float the kingpin and have a drag link anchored vertical from the swing arm pivot (I have ideas as how to do this) but your 12deg of turning might pose a problem with drag link to tire contact
2) 2 swing arms (I can take a pix of the setup that’s on one of my liners)
3) No suspension (it might actually have some benefits)
whatever design you choose you should probably change it to a leading link style especially if it is of a single sided design due to thickness for support at curve and to get tire clearance. Usually my tires rub the bodywork right about where you plan to have your swing arm run.. You will be able to narrow up the front CD if you do

Willie
I have a couple of center hubs and front suspension designs I can loan you to copy. You should come down and take a look.. all my designs are for 300+mph and use a 15” rim for the Goodyear 21-3.5X15 LSR  tire

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »
Hey Willie congrats on your trophy. You have what is called the "qualifier" version as the rider is heading East as if on a qualifier. Rarer is the " return" trophy where the rider is heading West as if on the return run. If you have a great year you earn the "draft" trophies where one rider drafts the other on two trophies. Rarest of all is the "freight train". Only Mr. Guthrie has that ( 50 in a row- aka the freight train). :-D

Offline willieworld

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
mine is the east -west trophy errrr actually in one pic its backwards  wooooooooopsssssssssss  next year ill try for the draft trophy willie  buchta[\]merry christmas everyone

does anyone know how tech will measure this 15 degree left 15 degree right maximum steering thing 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:42:35 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »
I don't really ant to do a Lazarus to this thread but.   Seeing that we will be restricted to 15 deg. lock that means a steering damper won't have much travel (if you are using a rod type damper) so will they be required?   The reason I ask this is that I brought my sidecar up to El Mirage to let Tom have a look.  I don;t have much lock on it and Tom noted that the damper rod didn't have much travel.  He asked if I could move it out to create more travel.  If we are restricted in steering travel will we have to modify our damper mounts to increase damper travel?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »
if you look on build diaries then bracket fabrication and other fun stuff you will see a easy dampner bracket to build --the first time i went to el mirage there was no trouble with my dampner--the second time i was told that my dampner wasnt dampening enough that i should move it out to make it stiffer --when i got home i drained out the 10 weight oil and put in some 30 weight 4 more times to el mirage 2 times to bonneville not a problem --on a cold morning it feels a little stiff but tech likes and so do i ---got my second trophy today and lucky me its the draft trophy   thanks     willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:39:23 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 01:45:02 AM »
The extension bracket has been made and mounted a good while now.  I'm just curious to know, seeing that we have no steering lock to speak of, will a damper be required?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »
any idea if there is gonna be a bub event this year?
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 03:16:25 AM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:10:35 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta