Author Topic: 2008 MC Rules changes - steering stops  (Read 17528 times)

Offline V8Pinto

2008 MC Rules changes - steering stops
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »
Has anybody looked at the stock steering stop angles on their bike?  I did a quick check with my calibrated Cigar/BeerBottle protractor last night and it looked like >15deg. 

Sounds like even production class bikes will have to modify steering stops this year (or my protractor needs to be calibrated again).
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline willieworld

Re: 2008 MC Rules changes - steering stops
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:36:53 PM »
 :wink:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:16:05 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:20:08 PM »
Sweet!  I bet we'll get more than one run :) 
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:21:57 PM »
Boy I tell you, you just get set up to film some good old tank slappers and they take the fun away from you.

Join Speed Wobbles For Fun!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »
Steering stops are designed to limit the handle bar swing so you don't mash your hand off the grip, and almost everybody knows it.
That is the rule using common sense, and can be written as such, and easily verified.
If you are underway and your steering exceeds even fewer degrees, you are in a tank slapper that often results in a get off, or you already have.
The 15 degree declaration misses the mark. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:35:20 AM »

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:17:03 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 01:43:35 AM »
No, I get it.
I really do.
If I just yell out "WILLIE", how many are gonna answer up anyway ? :-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 06:24:28 AM »
you are right jack--less in this case is better--the sidecars were lumped in with 2 wheelers --2 wheelers lean to steer to turn--sidecars steer to turn --i dont want to confuse anyone but if you ride a 2 wheeler and you want to make a left turn you turn the handlebars to the right the bike will lean left and turn left--a sidecar bike if you want to make a left turn you turn the handlebars to the left and the bike will turn left--the turning is a different so should be the degree of restriction  --just a thought---   willie buchta 

yes, the emergency "get off".....to be absolute Willie you need to point out that on a two wheeler that the bike will go left if you turn the bars to the left , but you won't.....now I won't profess to be an expert on "cars" but is that why leading links work better for them than low castor telescopic arrangements?

alright,
give it to me. :wink:

and another thing..

Boy I tell you, you just get set up to film some good old tank slappers and they take the fun away from you.

Join Speed Wobbles For Fun!
jeez I feel sorry for that I guy every time I see that pic/video...he had a lot of time to get the fear into him.....and judging by where his feet are,,,his boys copped it... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

bak189

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 11:57:54 AM »
Leading-link type  front-forks on the "old style" competition sidecars were strong to be able to handle the side-trust in cornering (roadracing) it also allowed for easier adjustment of the trail...................
In LSR telescopic forks work just fine.....after all the plan is to go in a straight line only..............

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:17:49 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:37:57 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:18:40 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:18:13 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 08:05:12 PM »
The only LSR sidecar that I have build with leading link forks was our steamliner back in the late 1980's.......the rest of our LSR sidecars have use telle-forks....(have built many roadracers with leading links).........on the streamliner I used the same rake as I was using on our roadracers
...........27 degrees............................................................
If and whenI build another (if ever....getting old)
I would use Hub-Center steering with a 10 inch wheel....low profile..............I have build several
Hub-Center roadracers.....so I think I understand how they work................................................................

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »
A question came up last night.  Does the 15 deg. rule apply to production machines?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 09:19:10 PM »
The only LSR sidecar that I have build with leading link forks was our steamliner back in the late 1980's.......the rest of our LSR sidecars have use telle-forks....(have built many roadracers with leading links).........on the streamliner I used the same rake as I was using on our roadracers
...........27 degrees............................................................
If and whenI build another (if ever....getting old)
I would use Hub-Center steering with a 10 inch wheel....low profile..............I have build several
Hub-Center roadracers.....so I think I understand how they work................................................................

The only advantage for a streamliner I see to center hub steering over the leading link is no steerer tube in the way, but at the expense of higher expense and more difficult to build.

I'm most likely going with a leading link, but not set in stone yet.  I'm open to the ideas of those in the know.