Author Topic: parachutes  (Read 5143 times)

Offline mkilger

parachutes
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:22:35 PM »
how many parachutes  can you run a a fuel/gas roadster if the car gos over 250mph ????? thanks mike

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: parachutes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
how many parachutes  can you run a a fuel/gas roadster if the car gos over 250mph ????? thanks mike

At least one and probably as many as you want unless the addition of a number across the back and the shrouding around them would be called excessive and really be about aerodynamics and not stopping the car.

c ya,

Sum

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »
what I mean is can I put 3 parachutes ,an extra one just in case??? and its not about aerodynamics its about getting stopped if we have to. They will have no shrouding around them. thanks Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:57 PM »
The rules spec 1 up to 300mph then ya need 2..... if your gonna be around 250mph and want a back up chute 2 would be good.... you need to wory about stopping at elmo buy not bonneville.... ya gonna put brakes on her?
kent

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:40:49 PM »
Yes we will need to worry more about elmo too I just dont want to add one and not get the record I know the roadsters are the worst class for rules but its all in good fun and we will have 15in rotors on the rear sould be ok

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
There is nothing in the El Mirage proceedursa that says you can't. Almost all fast roadsters have 2 chutes. The lake bed is short on shut down area. I think Dan Warner or Russ Eyers could best answer.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:51:55 PM »
If you had in mind putting three (or even more) chutes perched vertical across the decklid to act as a SPOILER one of the nit-pickers out there might question that as an illegal aero device- but if you feel you're gonna need that many either because of the speed you hope to attain or the weight you're trying to slow down, it's probably OK IMHOP.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:13:58 PM »
 this video -- shows one of Strouds chutes---I have been very pleased with the way it hits and especially with the way it sets and doesnt "KITE fly" like some do--------extremely pleased the way it behaves!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:15:20 PM »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline mkilger

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
Sparky thats a great shot of the parachute, Do you run more than  one on your lakester? Was that run before you spun the car at sw, I was working the ERT at this years speed week I was the one who jumped  out of the truck to check on you. thanks for the info. mike

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 01:03:01 PM »
yes the next video show that run where I got side ways.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 03:37:08 PM »
if ya have more than one chute, make sure that the release levers are seperated apart enough so ya dont accedently toss the wrong chute out.....from past experience of course...
Kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »
I "now" have my chutes where I can swap tubes --so that at El M I can have the LOW speed as primary the one that has a strg. wheel release!!!!