Author Topic: bantam roadster legal for rear engine modified roadster class?  (Read 16643 times)

Offline ulrace

bantam roadster legal for rear engine modified roadster class?
« on: November 29, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »
Might be a dumb question but I saw in searching the archives that bantams were disallowed or something like that?
thanks for responding
bob

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: bantam roadster legal for rear engine modified roadster class?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 04:29:16 PM »
The Hudson Boys run a  rear engine Bantam.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline ulrace

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
Perfect thanks; i'll look for some pics..

bob

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:36:14 PM »
The Bantam has MORE frontal area than a '27T!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »
The Bantam has MORE frontal area than a '27T!
If it's taller and narrower, the frontal area of the completed car might be lower. I don't think anyone's managed to get the top of the roll bar down to the level of the top of the body on a T.

Offline Model A coupe

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »
Hello all,I've been lurking here quite a while now.Been going to Bonneville off and on with my buddy's racecar,or just to spectate since 1969.
Now about Bantam roadsters.My buddy built one between 1968-1969 to replace his '34 roadster.Ran B/GR with unblown 392.Had extended hood with '34 Chev.grill shell,similar to what the late Mark Dees had at that time.Switched to B/FR in 1971 and qualified for record.During the winter the SCTA outlawed any Bantam with a hood longer than stock,and non stock grille shell.We spent the winter changing it to a modified roadster.He finally got into the 200 club with a supercharged 392.
Now some years ago I saw a Bantam running in thr GR class with a long hood and different grille shell with a GMC engine.
So,are Bantam's legal for anything?I guess it depends on what year it ran.Seems even the SCTA can't make up it's mind.

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:25:10 PM »
The rulebook has parameters that a roadster has to fit into. Grille shell sq. in. is also a part of the equation. If you can make your American roadster fit in the box you're good to go.

That was then, this is now. Ask JD, Bill Goldman and Don Wilson.

DW

Offline Bville701

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »
I thought that the use of the bantam roadster was because the body kind of tucked in the rear tires? That is why I thought the body was illegal? I do know that the Hudson boys ran one as a rear engine modified and I have seen a few others out at the salt as well?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:22 PM »
The one that the Hudson Boys run is their old stream liner with the back of the liner cut off and the Bantam body mounted.  I was talking to them at speed week in ’06 and they mentioned that they may switch the car back to a stream liner in the future.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:59:46 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Bville701

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:01:08 PM »
I think that was the point of their car, to run it as a liner, lakster and now a rear engine modified. Get as many records as you can.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
Model A, why didn't you mention Dave Kostella's car by name? We are all friends here. My infamous American Austin, I won't call it what everyone else calls it, was rebuilt 3 times because of the SCTA rule changes.

Mark Dee's and Dave's cars were already running in 1969 when it was started.The Minall-Barrious roadster first showed up with a 29 Ford grille shell, which was allowed in 1970. It had a 12 inch stretch which also in the book at that time. Marks and Dave's had longer than the 12" stretch and both were put in modified even tho Marks had set a record in Gas Roadster.

Barrious had to put on a "factory" shell the next year much smaller than the 530". It ran for a few years and I bought in 1981. By '83 I had rebuilt it the first time, The grille shell rule was change to 530" no matter what the car. At this time I put the rear wheels in the stock location much narrower than a Ford. The hood length was still 12" over stock I used a 31 Chevrolet shell.. After Dave went in the 2 club over 260+ mph I don't remember seeing his car anymore. I had the Dees body for years and now Jim Lattin has it.

For the beginning of the '86 season the rules were changed to 50" rear tread, no rear fenders, no tanks infront of the grille. 3 things made my car illegal. By 1987 the 12" stretch of the hood left and 143" over length was in and I started rebuliding again. The rules have remained pretty constant since then. I brought mine back in '93 look as it is now. 32 Ford grille shell, 143" overall length, 50" tread width, 28" from the windshield line to the step pan, etc.

Ford guys in the past changed the rules to make the demensions similar for all gas/fuel roadsters. very few Austin roadsters were ever built in the whole scheme of things. Guys want Fords.

At this time ALL the current/past running Austins have put some one in the 2 club. Dave Kostella in as a modified along with Amos Beard in his. Mark Dees, Bill Goldman and Patrick & me, JD, Tone as Gas /Fuel Highboys.

Wilson is already in th 2 Club with his Hudson powered cars but I believe he will also go over 200 as a rear engine Austin.

Austins are actually wider than both the 27 and the 28/29 Fords at their widest spot. They are short and are hard to meet the firewall/step pan rule in Gas/Fuel roadsters. But it is a choice all make.

I have pictures in my garage with Chuck Potvin sitting in Med Healy's Austin roadster in the 40's. It had a 32 Ford grille shell and a Chevrolet 6 for power. So nothing is new.   Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »
Gee, It's interesting reading some of the obscure history of our passion.

Thanks JD
Rick

Offline ulrace

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »
Thanks for all the info and history guys; I like the Bantam (Austin) because the rear tires can tuck in so well even without fenders,. Also the plan is to reuse a rear engine dragster chassis that is low to start with and get the cage down close to the top of the cowl. With the fairing allowed the cp should come out nice and seems to be a natural. Would i be allowed a front wing? I know a rear is allowed though probably not needed.
 Impressive that so many records are held with these bodies..

thanks again
bob

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 01:08:11 AM »
No matter what body you use the rear tread width needs to remain at minimum 50", that's center to center of the tire. I installed factory demension inner rear fender panels to my body when I was allowed to do so but it is no longer allowed. I could fill a lot of that in now but just don't bother. Amos Beard's front engine modified body has the entire fender well filled in even with the body. This to get the car lower.

Only Bill Goldman, Wilson and I have current records. We only rent them...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
Bob,

Before puting a lot of time and money into the "Rear Engine Dragster chassis" check the rule book closely and talk to people that run similar reincarnated Dragsters. There have been a number of posts in the past regarding the suitability. Issues like tubing wall thickness, Chromemoly vs mild steel, etc. Remember in LSR weight is our friend!

Do your research. Welcome, and keep is updayed on your progress. Wounderful resources on this site.

Tom