Author Topic: e85 question  (Read 18688 times)

dwarner

Re: e85 question
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »
Dean,

Looks to me that if you are not using the latest, available gasolines you are doing yourself a disservice. Throw out the gas records? I think not, just watch the gas records climb. First you gotta set a record before your gasoline is tested.

DW

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 09:22:50 AM »
Dean,
Looks to me that if you are not using the latest, available gasolines you are doing yourself a disservice. Throw out the gas records? I think not, just watch the gas records climb. First you gotta set a record before your gasoline is tested.
DW

Dan, I thought the climbing records were due to advances in all technology, 'cause it can't be we are that much smarter...  :|
Anyone think ERC racing gas is just gas?  Hey Lurkers, I hope that the scta works out what is allowed as event gas from the ERC trailer prior to speedweek, the clock on the homepage will show you how much time you have....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »
DW, the difference in DC in this years rules means a huge increase in horsepower. Unless ERC was providing fuel that was not legal, then fuel adjusted to reach a DC of 15 this year will mean a big jump in speeds if the vehicle is identical to last year.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »
hummm...a lot of flyin off the conclusion band wagon here....im kinda busy today but can someone go to the ERC web site and check the DC of avalible fuels and see what will be legal.... check with ya tonight...
love ya
kent

dwarner

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 01:57:37 PM »
Dean,

I will agree that 15 is on the high side. The intent of the rewritten rule were to make the rule as written in the book compatible with what is going on at the front lines. ERC has been selling the MULA unleaded gas for some years now and the gas has been accepted from the provider.

We were told at the board meeting that the 15 number would pass if nitro was present. I personally have not done this test but will certaintly do so when we all meet again in May. The rule, as written, does specify that any combination of tests can be used to identify gasoline. If a gas rises to the near limit of 15 you can be sure that we will use further testing to verify the acceptability. This testing can go as far as sending samples to a lab at the competitor's expense.

I still have the time to revise the 15 limit number, what do you suggest? We can hold up the rlebook as long as you guys want to pick away at it.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
I don't understand why the change in the first place. I have been in a number of organizations that have tried to keep gasoline to only gasoline, and the DC is the easiest way to do that. Not as easy as event gas. Event gas is the perfect answer. Instead of having ERC bring what they want, why doesn't SCTA specify certain legal fuels from their inventory and have them bring it.

Anything other than the old DC allows chemists  :-D to make it expensive, time consuming and difficult to keep things under control.

Ok, so racer A goes much faster than the old, competitive record. You suspect his fuel might not be legal. Even if the DC is under 15, the tests for other compounds gets difficult in a hurry. Yes, there are portable gas chromatagraphs, that are laboratory quality, expensive to buy and use. Why open that can of worms in the first place?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.