Author Topic: What do that mean?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
What do that mean?
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
Hey Guys,

Maybe Dan will jump in here and answer it so that it will be easy. :-D

On page 57 (2007 rulebook) under 5C (classic category) there is an odd paragraph that is all in caps and states " THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR A VEHICLE WITHIN THE YEAR RANGE OF 1928-1981 TO COMPETE IN THE MODIFIED OR PRODUCTION CATEGORIES MUST BE THE USE OF A NON-O.E.M. EFI SYSTEM." While the paragraph just previous to this one stated that non-OEM EFI was not allowed.

Point in question as an example - Can a guy use a Honda engine with Honda OEM EFI in Classic category if it is installed in a 1975 US made automobile? The Honda engine in the car would constitute a swap and make it a Classic Gas Coupe. :|

What say ye? :?

Thanks in advance.

Regards to All,
HB2 :-D
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: What do that mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »
Hey Guys,

Maybe Dan will jump in here and answer it so that it will be easy. :-D

On page 57 (2007 rulebook) under 5C (classic category) there is an odd paragraph that is all in caps and states " THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR A VEHICLE WITHIN THE YEAR RANGE OF 1928-1981 TO COMPETE IN THE MODIFIED OR PRODUCTION CATEGORIES MUST BE THE USE OF A NON-O.E.M. EFI SYSTEM." While the paragraph just previous to this one stated that non-OEM EFI was not allowed.

Point in question as an example - Can a guy use a Honda engine with Honda OEM EFI in Classic category if it is installed in a 1975 US made automobile? The Honda engine in the car would constitute a swap and make it a Classic Gas Coupe. :|

What say ye? :?

Thanks in advance.

Regards to All,
HB2 :-D

The way I read it the first part on page 55 is what you have to do to stay in the classic category.  The next paragraph on page 56 that you have above is what would move you out of classic to modified or production.

Don't take this for gospel.  I get all confused reading that stuff.  I guess that is why I decided on a lakester as you don't have to read as much .

c ya,

Sum   

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:56:48 PM »
Classic Class are mean No Mas EFI. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
I think Harold is right. You may compete in "Classic" if you are running STOCK FACTORY EFI FOR THE MOTOR IT IS ON. When the rules were being disscussed it was brought up that someone might install a Buick V6 with factory EFI in something. So it was allowed. I think. Never can tell.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:02:58 AM »
"STOCK FACTORY EFI"

And, what does that mean?
Using the original electronics? How could they tell an EPROM in the original box?
Using the original hard parts? Larger injectors legal? After all, stock carbs are allowed jet changes. How about fuel pressure?

Are they even going to think about this until someone's 1000 hp GNX runs?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »
The tendency is to jerk the knee after stepping on their own toes, not unlike "Fraction Control".
"Writing rules for racers is like reading a long explanation to a cat, when just a "NO" will do." (me) :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »
This is the main reason I didn't want shitbox engine sizes in Classic. Why would anyone think a Honda engine in a '67 Camero is in any way the definition of a race car?

I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad I'm aout of this business.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »
"STOCK FACTORY EFI"

Using the original electronics? How could they tell an EPROM in the original box?
Using the original hard parts? Larger injectors legal? After all, stock carbs are allowed jet changes. How about fuel pressure?

When was the last time someone checked all the above. If you have a Mega Squirt on your Production class car you are no longer production. Easy.

Drag out your 1000 hp GNX, lets see what she'll do.

DW

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »
Hard to respond when you didn't read what I wrote.

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »
I read it.

You asked:

When was the last time someone checked all the above. If you have a Mega Squirt on your Production class car you are no longer production. Easy.

Drag out your 1000 hp GNX, lets see what she'll do.

I think my answer cover it all. We look at the basics in impound. If you are on the edge when running the competitors in your class will contact us before a record or put up the $100 following the record.

Your red hat may be at stake.

DW

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 10:19:30 AM »
"If you have a Mega Squirt on your Production class car you are no longer production."

Evidently not.