Author Topic: Fuel shutoffs  (Read 10999 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Fuel shutoffs
« on: November 20, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »
I am running a tank under the seat on the bike, which will be running two fuel pumps, one for the carbs one for the NOS system and I was reading that there needs to be a petcock for the gas that can be actuated from a seated position is this nescassary if the gas is pumped rather than static feed (the pumps will both be switched ).Also it says that in Fuel class, Fuel has to be switchable from the handlebars, does this mean electricaly as in arming disarming which isnt a problem or is it a petcock for gas or remote bottle opener I am confused!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Fuel shutoffs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
If all your fuels are moved around by electric pumps, and those pumps positively shut off when you actuate the kill switch (commonly a thumb switch, but anything that you can touch without moving hands from the bars is legal), you've met that part of the rule.  If those same fuel pumps are positively shut off when the tether/lanyard switch is actuated - you've complied with that rule, too.

If you have a gravity feed system we'd like to see a manually-operated petcock controlled by one of your fingers -- say a thumbed lever connecting to a cable to a petcock, maybe even a spring loaded petcock.  That "fuel" rule is especially meant for nitromethane systems, but positive shutoffs are wise anyway.

Don't forget to firesleeve unvalved lines, and don't forget to vent your nitrous blowoff to the outdoors -- preferably a long hard tube to the tail section of the bike.  Label the nitrous outlet so a bystander/safety worker doesn't get a frozen finger when it blows!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
Just to clarify the reasoning, if there is a fire the fuel has to be shut off. If there isn't a shut off between the tank and the fuel pump and the fuel line burns through there is no way to stop the fuel flow.

A positive shut off or fire sleeve is required for the fuel line between the tank and pump.

If you have a shut off on the tank, imagine an engine fire and where you are going to stick your hand. The handle bar shut off fixes that problem.

And it's helpful if you know where the tank shut off is. I watched a rider go through tech that had no idea where it was, much less find it quickly.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:25:37 PM »
dont forget the n o s system -------nitrous oxide bottles and lines are considered part of the fuel system --------n o s system must have a device that shut off the n o s if you become seperated from motorcycle----
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 02:43:11 AM »
Ok I think I have it straight now except the NOS both pumps will be shut down on the engine kill and lanyard which will kill all the electrics from the battery. any tips on how I can shut a nitrous bottle valve or did you mean the solenoids need to close when the kill/lanyard is activated is it going to need to be a remote bottle closer..Could be awkward as room is getting to be at a prermium now
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
solonoid will work as a shut off  --cover any unvalved line with fire sleeve --between the bottle and nos  solonoid--between gas tank and fuel pump if the fuel pump is your shut off valve  --pump and solonoids must loose power at kill switch and lanyard  --thats how my bike is set up  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 02:32:32 AM »
Nice one thats a worry of my mind Thanks Willie
OZ

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
also any unvalved lines nos or gas need to be fire sleeved --lines from tank to petcock--lines from tank to fuel pump with no petcock --any crossover lines (tank to tank)--and nos line from bottle to nos solenoid--when in dought sleeve it  --fire sleeve can be purchaced at your local speed shop hope that helps   --i tested it by putting my finger into it and going over it with a torch totally amazing stuff  --i dont hear this very often but remember everything in the rule book is a mininum -- sometimes a bare mininum in my opinion--remember it is your ass on the line  what is it worth                hope i could help   willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:32:34 AM »
Cheers Willie one more question on the fire sleeve though, The NOS System is s/s braided lines will this need sleeving and from the distribution blocks it is s/s tube not nylon that wont need sleeving will it? Does s/s braided sleeve count as fire sleeving probably not but just thought i would ask while it is on the ajenda.
Thanks again Oz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »
Oz, any lines between the source and a shutoff valve / solenoid / fuel pump for any type of fuel/ gas / N2O must be firesleeved.  Take some extra with you, just in case they want you to sleeve something else.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »
Might want to double check the rulebook but I thought if it was a braided stainless line it did not need fire sleeve. One of the reasons I redid every line with AN fittings and stainless hose.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:19:51 PM »
Had to install firesleeve on braided stainless. I think it is the line location that tech cares about.  L

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
yea  its not the material of the lines but there location--also watch about running electricial wireing with braided lines -the lines are like a file unless they have some kind of a coating --found that out the hard way     willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 02:13:11 AM »
Ok will check on the braided lines might just do em as matter of course which stainless reckons is the way to go but think I might leave the tubes from the distribution blocks to nozzles they are solid stainless tubes they aint going to burn through are they.
Thanks Fellas Oz

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:22 AM »
Braided line with a steel wrap is only abrasion resistant and the braid also strengthens the inside material to support it and allow for higher working pressures.
The inside material (rubber, nylon, Teflon, etc.) is still subject to damage from heat because the braided wrap offers very little in the way of insulation qualities.
Treat it just like there was no braid and you will comply with the intent.
Remember, lines that carry oil pressure are also subject to the same environment and at usually higher pressures.
Fail one of those, and you have added fuel to the fire.
You decide.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"