Author Topic: Lateral Head Restraints  (Read 10160 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Lateral Head Restraints
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »
Kent; Thank you for your input.  I just went out and looked at the thing and will see what I can come up with as a shoulder restraint. From the hips down I have the driveshaft tunnel to lean on.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »
Originally I considered the Hanns and not the cable pull release lateral bar I put in my car. I was cautioned by an authority that the Hanns device was designed for other forms of racing and did not provide the protection needed to prevent injuries that have been sustained in LSR.

I don’t really know much about the Hanns, but the reasons that I was given seemed very plausible at the time.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:48:03 PM »
.............I was cautioned by an authority that the Hanns device was designed for other forms of racing and did not provide the protection needed to prevent injuries that have been sustained in LSR.....................

I would feel good about using one in a vehicle where the seat is close to the same position as in a roundy round car, but wonder about using one in a car with a reclined seat or in most lakesters or streamliners, but that is all based on just a gut feeling.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »
There are several different models of the HANS, some designed for a reclining position. The HANS is universally used in the faster formula cars and Indy type cars where the driver is substantially reclined.

Pete

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 11:17:33 PM »
There are several different models of the HANS, some designed for a reclining position. The HANS is universally used in the faster formula cars and Indy type cars where the driver is substantially reclined.

Pete

Good point, I didn't think about those cars.  I think I might do some research based on that.

Thanks,

Sum

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »
I use a seat insert that was made by Bald Spot Sport  http://www.baldspotsports.com  They make most of the systems that are used by Indy cars and Le Mans cars and others.  I have used their inserts in road racing and have walked away from some nasty crashes, which left the car completely destroyed.

I had one made for my roadster and also an Indy style insert for the helmet that goes with a quick release Hans device. I am not trying to be a pitchman for these guys, but do your research before you settle on one thing.  As Kent pointed out its easy to get hurt with some of the systems that are out their.  It’s your life and you owe it to your self.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:46:17 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
I'm not sure where the stories come from that the HANS is not suited for certain kinds of racing- in some cases it's a poor excuse for a person to cheap out- and as many have said- "What's your a** worth?"

You know it's COMPULSORY in F-1, Champcar and in NASCAR - with the Hutchens Device (and that may have changed to strictly HANS by now).

For several years, and I can only speak for NHRA PONTIAC-sponsored drivers one of who I'm aquainted with - they HAD to use the HANS, or no Pontiac support!

Do some research!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
My understanding is NASCAR tightened up the deflection standards,
and the original Hutchins device didn't meet the new spec.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .