Author Topic: Would like to get in on this.  (Read 10112 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Would like to get in on this.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 09:49:02 AM »
OK, USFRA guys chime in here but I think 150 club can drive as well.  Seems like I saw some of them driving back during WOS.  They are a great group of guys to race with.
Send a PM to Narider about your classification, Go to Maxton, then come out to the salt in September, you will not be disappointed unless the weather does not cooperate...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 10:01:33 AM »
Yeah I was thinking Maxton first, then the salts. But my ride isnt street legal any more..
Thanks for all the help guys.

By the way........... its just a li'll scooter.... :evil:

Short Vid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »
OK, USFRA guys chime in here but I think 150 club can drive as well.  Seems like I saw some of them driving back during WOS.  They are a great group of guys to race with.
Send a PM to Narider about your classification, Go to Maxton, then come out to the salt in September, you will not be disappointed unless the weather does not cooperate...

A little off subject, but do the 150 mph guys run the shorter 1 mile course that is used for the 130 mph cars/bikes or do they use the regular course??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:40:51 AM »
From what I read they use a 2 mile....

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 10:44:18 AM »
They ran the regular course to the 2 1/4 if I remember correctly, their speed is their 1/4 average.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 12:22:09 PM »
Yep, thats the way it works.

DW

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
Todd, Ray, Jon, any other ECTA inspectors....

Do we have a way to accommodate this fella?  I'd sure like to see him have a go at it.  Keith and Joe are in Delaware working on the rulebook right now, so maybe they'll chime in when they are back to their normal lives.  Hope we can make this work.  Still, it MUST be as safe as possible.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
Without reviewing the entire thread -- I'd say that I would pass on up the chain of command the question of whether we could allow this ride to run at Maxton.

I'd consider inspecting the bike from the safety aspect, could sidestep the rules a bit to allow him to run for time only (no class into which this bike would fit), but in case of an upset -- I'm not sure I want to be the one that has the responsibility of having said "yes" after an incident where the bike got upset and the rider was injured because he stayed with the bike as it tumbled, rolled, whatever.

Keith and Joe will be back in the world in a day or two.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »
I have a steering stabilizer, deadmans tether kill, and best of all the smarts to know when to say when, full leathers and gear. Well my leathers do have the cooling stuff under the arms and behind the knees. Its your game and I want to play but for the life of me cant see what the wheel placement has to do with me running or not. I dont care what class its in or not, but like I said its your game and I dont want to cause any probs

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 10:01:23 AM »
Orange guy, it's visually apparent from the photo that you're strapped to the bike.  If that's the case -- my concern is about egress during/after an incident.

As for letting you run once that (and any other issue I haven't seen) is satisfied - - there just isn't a class for a three-wheeler where the three wheels leave three tracks.  That's all -- not your fault for riding a trike, but rather that we don't have a class into which you could fit.  Would we let you run for time only?  Maybe -- but that's one I'll also refer up the ladder.  Maybe a limited run or two at limited speeds so the officials could observe handling and other bike behavior -- and then you're good to go, assuming nothing bad becomes apparent.

As for the non-leather parts of your leathers -- wait and see if that rule remains standing or if it modified for '08.  One can never tell. . .

Finally -- gee, whiz, you're not causing any problems other than making us think more in-depth than we often do.  We want everyone who shows up with a race-worthy vehicle to race, but to keep our liability noses clean we have to be satisfied that we aren't jeopardising our insurance coverage by letting you run if the insurance policy would be canceled (or something) if you did -- thereby meaning that NONE of us can race.

Back to you being strapped onto the bike -- I did watch the video, way back when you first posted it -- but now I don't remember in detail.  If you've got a working tether -- that implies that it is possible for you to get off the bike without using hands to loosen anything.  That's a point in your favor.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »
Orange Guy -
I hope you're getting the correct message here.  We're a VERY inclusive bunch and we'd all love to see you run.  No way are we trying to keep you out.  We just have to figure out some way to make it happen that is safe and fun for you.  Maybe we can't, but you can rest assured that we'll all TRY to find a way to get you down the track.

We had a guy in a chair last year who came to observe, and he was asking if a bike that he was building would be OK.  It was a 2 wheel bike with side riggers that came out at low speed.  Don't know the details but I'm pretty sure that Keith gave provisional approval (of course, the inspectors will have to see it first).  He hasn't been out with it yet.  The moral of this story is that we'll get you on the track if we can.

Best of Luck
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 03:51:20 PM »
as far as the leathers go... im pretty sure the SCTA isnt gonna roll off the "all cow" rule any time soon. the cooling stuff behind your knees and pits wont fly unless its leather and if the perf hole patern cant be covered by one palm it needs to be fixed...Amanda at Speed sport in Tulsa ok does an outstanding job on repairs and is very reasonable...
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »
What is wrong with side car class?????????
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
and palm size can very --i found out the hard way--

and what is wrong with a side car--i know the 3 wheeler is more stable  if you turn toward a sidecar it will try to lift --we are going in a straight line though--if there was a 3 wheeler class  i would probably run in it i know i would want my wife to  thanks willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

roadtrip

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 04:40:49 PM »
This is from the back of my USFRA 130/150 tech sheet;

Karts will be teched and treated like a motorcycle.

Street luge will be teched and treated like a motorcycle.

Tractor (lawn mower) will be teched and treated like a motorcycle.

Seems to me that a trike should have a place here too with all safety requirements for motorcycle being met. (?)

DonS