Author Topic: Would like to get in on this.  (Read 10111 times)

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
Would like to get in on this.
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:31:36 PM »
Looking to get a rule book and find out how and what I need to do to come and run.
I am a paraplegic trike rider, no Gold Wing here.
I have a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 trike mainly setup for drag racing. But with a change of tires and sprockets should be able to run for top speed.

How do I get a rule book.
Has anyone run a trike like mine and if so any photos ?

Also I have full race leathers from Kawasaki made by Joe Rocket and has the STD armor in them, I dont know how fast my trike can run but I know it will do 130mph as I've done that, any thing I need to get if it runs over 150mph ?

Thanks and hope to see some of you this next year !!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Would like to get in on this.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:48:34 PM »
The USFRA 130 and 150 club rules are posted on their website. 
Bub rules are on their website I think. 
SCTA and BNI do not have a 3 wheeler class any more, was opened and then dropped in the 80's.  Don't remember their speeds, but I probably have them in my old results sheets.
Come on out and have some fun, I would suggest WOS, 130 club as a starter.
Welcome and see ya on the salt...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:27:21 PM »
Nice Machine!  Looks like a lot of sweat, blood, and tears were involved in that build.  Come on out, I know you'll have a great time!
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »
Yeah but could I get a pass ? Thats a long ways for a poor boy to go watch others run ! I should be able to make a run if they let Bar Stools do it......... LOL

Ok looking over some of the specs.............. I was told it would be listed as a CAR because of the wheel arrangement, now the way I see it, its a motorcycle, I mean really look at it, will I need to prepare under Car or Motorcycle rules ?
I'll set out to prepare it as a motorcycle as most rules also apply to drag racing, but I dont have fenders for the rear tires. Please help me understand what needs to be done, I have until next year to get it ready as over this winter I'll be rebuilding it.
Now for the East Coast Timing Association I was wanting to do that first to get the feel of what my ride will do but from what I'm being told I have no class I can run it in, does that mean I cant run at all ?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:34:45 PM by orange-appeal »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:40:45 PM »
Join USFRA, make sure you meet the safety rules here for 130 or 150 club
http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html

Ride of bring it to the salt in September and have fun.  If you haven't been there before, it is also a great place to see a lot of different vehicles.  Remember, safety if the key to be able to run after you travel across country...
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
It's definitely not a motorcycle as per the SCTA rules.  A motorcycle (with three wheels) has a front and back tire/wheel in the same line...makes two tracks as it goes straight ahead.  Yours would make three tracks.

A car has four wheels, with some variations allowed as to how many tracks it would make -- but four wheels.

See above -- go to World of Speed, run the 130 Club.  Also ask USFRA folks to inform you of what they'd need to se in the way of safety stuff (cage? firesuit? etc?) so you could run the 150 Club.

Best wishes, and we do hope to see you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:14:20 PM »
Cage............. Fire suit ? I hope not as I'll never get to run as I will never meet the rules then.

I'll see what I can do but its very odd to see a Bar Stool but no trikes. :?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »
You're not paying close attention.  The bar stools run at the World of Speed (USFRA) meet, just like I'm suggesting you run your trike.  The USFRA has also allowed Kerry McLean (I think that's his name) to run his monocycle.  If you're got a vehicle that doesn't fall into one of the categories that's already existing -- WoS is your best bet.

As for safety stuff like cage, fire suit, fire protection system and so on -- safety for the driver and the attendant spectators is paramount.  The 130 Club restrict speeds to 139.999 maximum and allows making passes down the Salt with less safety garb/safety equipment.  No cage, no fire suit, in cars.  I don't have the bike rules handy to refer to so I can tell you what is required.  If you want to run at higher speeds -- as in the 150 Club -- you'll need to have proper safety equipment.  Sure, a motorcycle won't require the same safety stuff as will a car -- but I would caution you about going out there with only a helmet and expecting the organizers to fall all over themselves to let you run just because you want to do so.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could ask the folks at Bub's if you'd be allowed to run at their event, and, if so, what you'd need to bring to the start line with you and your trike.

Best wishes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 04:57:32 PM »
Cage............. Fire suit ? I hope not as I'll never get to run as I will never meet the rules then.

I'll see what I can do but its very odd to see a Bar Stool but no trikes. :?

O-A, did you follow the link to the USFRA 130 and 150 rules?  While a lot of the rules cover cars, the rules for bikes are plainly stated.
130 club..
*  All drivers must be members of USFRA, be a licensed driver, and sign a loss damage waiver to participate.
* A maximum of five (5) runs will be allowed per entry fee paid.
* The 130-mph format is specifically designed for street cars/ motorcycles. To gain entrance into the 130-mph club, the vehicle must run the measured mile twice in the same day at a speed no less than 130 mph. The two runs are then averaged. Once a driver & car combination has achieved 130 club status no more runs will be allowed
* An initial "licensing" pass at no more than 100 mph will be required to calibrate on board speed gauge equipment. i.e.; tachometer, speedometer, etc.
* Maximum speed will be 140 mph - any vehicle exceeding 140 mph will be disqualified from making anymore passes and will not receive a timing slip.
* The driver must wear a Snell 95 approved, full-face helmet, long sleeve shirt or jacket, and long pants.
* Motorcycle riders must have full leathers, which zip together, including boots and gloves.
* Only gasoline, propane, or natural gas fuels may be used - NO nitrous, alcohol or nitro-fueled vehicles will be allowed.
* Dual throttle return springs are recommended.
* Vehicles must have H, V, or Z rated tires which are rated for speeds in excess of 130 mph.
* Tires & wheels for all vehicles will have metal valve caps (metal valve stems highly recommended) & crack-free valve stems.
* Wheel covers will be positively attached or removed.
* A ground cover must be used under the vehicle in the pit area. Waste fluids will not be "dumped" they will be taken off the salt for disposal. Pit areas and general Salt will be kept neat and clean at all times

* INSPECTION:
* -All vehicles must be currently licensed and street legal in their respective state.
* -Fees will not be charged for an inspection.
* -Inspection will verify the acceptable condition of the engine, drive train, wheels, tires, fuel, steering, braking, and safety systems to an approved checklist.
* -Decisions of the inspector are final in the areas of safety assessment and requirements.

These are the rules that apply to bikes unless you choose to run 150 club, then you must meet the SCTA motorcycle safety rules.

Bikes do not require firesuits, fire systems and cages, they do require leathers... Just keep watching this site and ask questions.  Call the USFRA, you will find a link on the home page of this site. 

If you are looking for an scta or BNI record, take my earlier suggestion and build a hack, often referred to here as a bike with a wheel on a stick.... The nice thing is you get to choose how you want to race.
Stainless

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
Ok I see, sorry but I didn't understand about all the groups and all. I have full safety gear for me as in a Shoei helmet, full leathers and gear.

My trike will have a full chain guard, steering stops and damper, ign kill "tether and switch on grip", front and rear brakes, manual fuel shut off, and so on.
But it wont be street legal, no body work other than a front fender, only a tail light, no rear fenders.

I just got an e-mail back from an inspector but haven't looked at it yet.

Offline orange-appeal

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
OK he recommended the 130-150 club and maybe the BUB deal...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 11:09:41 PM »
I just noticed you posted this in the Maxton ECTA area.  You need to look at their site, also linked from the front page to see if you can run there as well.  It may be closer to you and they start earlier in the year.  Lots of great folks racing there too...
Stainless

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 11:12:18 PM »
Take the opportuity to run that beast.  You will not regret the chance to run an entry on the salt.  Maxton is one thing, the flats another.  The WOS is a great opportunity to meet like-minded individuals, and get a taste of the action.  That is a bad machine.  Give it a taste of the flat out, balls to the wall, as fast as it will run (at the proper gearing to keep it within limits of the entered class) race against the clock.  Once you get your tickets, you will have proof in your hands that you have done what so few others have.  Then the next run?  Who knows?  What have you to lose?

You may just change your mind about getting a class qualifying entry together after experiencing firsthand the bond that brings all these racers together.  

It can be interesting to one so inclined.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:15:11 PM by Stainless Two »
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

racin jason

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 12:34:30 AM »
go to the bub deal. you can RIDE the bike to and from the racecourse. WOS and the speekweek/world finals require you to trailer the bike to and from the course. hopefully bb will fix the long waits that plagued this years event.

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »
At World of Speed, 130 club, the entry can be driven/riden anywhere on the salt.

DW