Author Topic: 92' chevy p.u. for l.s.r.???  (Read 8934 times)

Offline so cal racer

• New folks
92' chevy p.u. for l.s.r.???
« on: November 18, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
Hello; i have a 92' chevy ext cab shortbed truck just setting around and  was wondering if this would be  worthy of building it for l.s.r.   any thoughts or suggestiions?  i have been and live about 100 miles from el mirage and have been there several times and WATCHED. but now i would like to participate. thanks for any help and suggestions  Keith

Offline RichFox

Re: 92' chevy p.u. for l.s.r.???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:54:09 PM »
If you want to it's as good as any.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:05:10 PM »
The only thing I dont like about the truck classes is the restrictions you can do to the body (I like to mess with things). They dont even allow a chop top but he extra cab may even help with aerodynamics.

On another note there are at TON of open records in the truck classes and many opportunities to get in the 2 club.

Personally I would like to see more trucks.

GOod luck.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Wendell

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:08:04 PM »
Would an El Camino be concidered a truck? (sorry to jump in, just a question)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »
Nope, rule book says they run as a coupe in production class, if you don't do something that makes them time only...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Wendell

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
Thanks! I jumped the gun in asking anyway. I just did a little digging and found the answer. Just a little lazy I guess. Carry on!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
The GMC grille is a little bit more AERO---but that truck is as aero as any GM has built---You will love the extra room that the EX cab brings to the table!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline so cal racer

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:31:39 AM »
o.k. my next question is on weight. this truck is 6200 lbs. to heavy ??? just right ?? need to lose weight??

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
The weight can be over come by HP.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 12:03:28 PM »
o.k. my next question is on weight. this truck is 6200 lbs. to heavy ??? just right ?? need to lose weight??

Run the truck and see if you are still accelerating in the timed mile.  If not the weight isn't hurting you.  If you are then better go on a diet,

Sum

Offline so cal racer

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »
thank's for the input.  BUT in regards to sumners reply i hate to sound uneducated but would'nt you want the truck/car to still be accelerating  and not fall off at the end of the timed time??

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »
thank's for the input.  BUT in regards to sumners reply i hate to sound uneducated but wouldn't you want the truck/car to still be accelerating  and not fall off at the end of the timed time??

The ideal situation would be to run through the timed mile at the highest possible speed for the whole mile.  In reality really fast cars/bikes are still accelerating at the end of the timed mile (either track) while slow cars/bikes have maybe obtained top speed before the timed mile.

If you are still accelerating then you want to try and increase the acceleration rate by either lowering the weight if you still have traction or if you can't use your lower gears because of wheel spin you might go faster by adding weight.  There is no "do this" and it will work for everyone.  We've learned a lot by data logging the TPS (throttle postion sensor) on Hooley's stude and rpm.  When we see that we can only use 25% to 30% in first gears we need to try and work on that area of the run.  Now in 2006 when we set a record we could see that at the end of the 5 mile we were not accelerating any more, but we did accelerate during the 5th mile.  Our speed would have been higher if we would have entered the 5th mile at our exit speed.  This year with even more HP we were accelerating a lot more in the 5th mile and also at the end. So for a real change we have to work on the acceleration at the other end of the track so that we are running faster at the 2 1/4.  In our case we hope another 500-800 lbs. will help us on both ends of the course.

c ya,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »
The long coarse is a 4 mile drag race with a 1 mile trap!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »
Sum, I am in the process of collecting old wheel weights to melt down and install about 500 - 600 lbs more weight, the final weight will be around 5100 lbs..

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »
A tid bit of infomation on lead--- Speedway sells 50lb bricks for around $80.00 ea
The shipping was'nt bad either. We ordered 10 bricks last sept and they shipped each brick UPS in it's own package. UPS guy was'nt happy, he asked " whats in these boxes, lead?" We just laughed.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean