Author Topic: Message Board Problems  (Read 13312 times)

landracing

Message Board Problems
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:35:07 PM »
Group,

Recently in the last couple of months I have had several problems with the database. I keep getting Database busy error messages.

Now I do run a 100% database driven website, that goes for the main landracing.com website, to the message board and the photo gallery. Every aspect of the website is database driven.

I have been watching to see what is giving the errors, and that has resulted in part of the functionality of the website disabled. I first tried updating all the software on the website, then tweaking the settings of each program. This is not an easy solution. You have to make an adjustment and try it for awhile to see if the problem still exists.

MY hosting company has not been to helpfull in the situation. I thought the main problem was the online photo gallery, so i reduced the functionality of the program to minimal features. Still exists. Then I killed the whole gallery and obviously to the problem is still there. Now I am getting errors more then ever. So I took the message board posts and weather off the main site. ANd the problem is still there. I think there is more to the problem then I think.

First the site has grown and I have outgrown the server that I am on, and its not a software problem, and I pay dearly for the service.

The website is a resource heavy website, from a sever standpoint. When loads get high it starts killing processes until that load gets below a certain threshold.

I have been transferring on average this past year 50 gig of bandwith per month, and in August, Sept and October it was as high as 70 gigs. And averaging just about 5 million hits a month.

The honest answer is I have outgrown the server that I am on. I am on a server that is a single processor so loads on the server get there fast. I have found a new server that is based on four processors and a high ram system that I may try to use. I will transfer the whole website there and test it out. The real test will be when the current users get there.

The main single most important, is a seamless move. Moving servers in past experience is usually a real pain in the ass. But thanks to better technology today it may not be that bad.

I will test a server move and see how it goes. When a real transfer happens, I will have to kill, or put in maint mode, the main site, the forums and gallery. This is so I dont loose any information or new posts in forums.

So trust me when I say, I know of the problems, been trying to resolve the problems and hopefully have a solution in the near future.

Stay with me, things will get better.

Jon

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Message Board Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »
Jon:

We're all with you. You're the best. Good luck with the move.

Pete

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »
Jon,

You are doing an excellent job, keep up the good work, we are not going anywhere.

Scott

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »
Jon

I second that. We'll still be here when you get things back to normal.

FYI  I'm pretty sure the site crashed my internet explorer 3 or 4 times in the last 2 days. Or maybe it was Scotts posts... :-D

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »
Jon, good luck! I appreciate the effort. We all do. Database driven web sites are the only way to get work done, but database problems make everything not work. Thanks again.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

landracing

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »
Well have done some major tweaking of the core files on this forum, so please keep a lookout for Server busy messages or cant connect to database and just the overall performance of the board and let me know how things are going.

Jon

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »
Jon, Everything is working good in Costa Rica. Hope to talk to you when I get home next week.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
OK in south west Utah as well, When I get a server message I close the web and restart it and most of the time it opens. I have server problems with my own here. Thinking about a change to something else.
Have a great day. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »
Well have done some major tweaking of the core files on this forum, so please keep a lookout for Server busy messages or cant connect to database and just the overall performance of the board and let me know how things are going.

Jon

Jon all of your hard work seems to be paying off. I haven't lost a post or had connection problems since you posted this.

Thanks,

Sum

landracing

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 01:39:32 AM »
Ill give it another week, and see how people respond to this post. To see if there is any other performance problems, otherwise I call this problem solved and  move on to other things on the website.

I have never gotten the site back up 100% since the new site went online about 10 months ago. So I need to get to work on that and finally finish it...

In the mean time ill see if I can fix those damn emotion images.

Jon

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
Jon,

Wanted to wait a bit before I posted to keep posible problems on my end out of the equation.  Connection and site speed problems disappeared for me after the changes and continue to remain so.

All the effort very much appreciated here on the ridge.  THANKS!

Ed Purinton 

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »

In the mean time ill see if I can fix those damn emotion images.

Jon

I thought they were just funny looking to me! Hey, I just looked up & most of them look almost normal. All except for the wink. I wonder if it's cause I have my screen set to 1024x768 so I can read it? Or did you start working on them already. hmmmm....

BTW, did you remove the spell check? (Or can I just not see/find it?)

Thanks for your hard work!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 09:47:25 AM »
Deb, it must be your screen size for the smileys... Mine are still AFU
Every time I misspell a word, it gets a red underline, I didn't do anything to make that happen, it just did.
Hope the eyes do well, are you wearing "fly" goggles at night, the ones with all the holes that give you fly vision?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 10:17:35 AM »
Hi Jon:

It was frustrating for a while, but more recently everything's working fast and smoothly. Great job!

Pete

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 12:52:09 PM »
Deb, it must be your screen size for the smileys... Mine are still AFU

That's  why I mentioned it. Maybe it will help Jon figure out what's wrong. Maybe we just need a larger font size smiley.

Every time I misspell a word, it gets a red underline, I didn't do anything to make that happen, it just did.
I used to get that but it seems to have gone away for me. I don't think I changed anything. Is there a place to turn that on & off? Thought it was just auto.

Hope the eyes do well, are you wearing "fly" goggles at night, the ones with all the holes that give you fly vision?
LOL, I have fly vision all day long, no need for goggles! But I do have the mega sunglasses to protect my eyes to the point that nobody knows where I'm looking! hehehe

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol: