Author Topic: Maxton, April, Where to stay  (Read 8472 times)

Offline shiphteey

Re: Maxton, April, Where to stay
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 09:28:11 AM »
1st time at Maxton I stayed in Lumberton (Taking I95 its about 5 exits north before you get off for Maxton) hotel called my room.  2 van full of heads were circling me and a buddy's 1000cc bike.  We came out with barefoot and with weapons, albeit none of which were firearms.  But 2 people vs 2 vans full of people.  They got in their van but weren't running for their lives.  Hotel manager let us lock the bikes up right in front of the lobby.  Called the cops, they took a report.  Days Inn or Holiday inn or something.

Another time I was so tired since a tractor trailer wrecked and I95 was shut down for hours (no sleep for the Sat race) that Sat evening I crashed at Knights Inn.  Left my gear in my p/u bed.  Got to Maxton Sunday morning to realize it was missing.  Boots, leathers, tire pump.  Others loaned me some gear which was cool. 

Lesson learned:  Lumberton is pretty ghetto.  I've chilled their still at times but I work a deal w/whoever is on that evening shift and park my locked, covered, alarmed truck & trailer right up to their window.  I sleep better but not as good as in Laurinburg/Maxton.

A.
Gemini Motorcycles
229.6 mph at Loring
201.957 mph 2-way average @ Bonneville;
203.85 @ the Maxton Mile
207.2 @ Maxton -- NAKED
200.2 mph @ TX Mile
195.6 mph on GPS @ the 9/10ths
9.4 @ 157 in the 1/4

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »
We usually stay at the Comfort Inn, good place, never a problem, and I recommend staying there, but I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was ok too. That said, we always leave the bike and trailer at the track. I've never had a problem like Shiphteey at any hotel, but I feel my rig is much safer at the track.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:03:19 PM by Rick Roberts »
ECTA 200 Club

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »
One other option that I haven't seen any of our august respondents mention is that primitive camping is FREE on the grounds.  So - if you've got facilities in your rig - the track's not a bad place to spend an evening.

If you're tent camping - watch the little piles of sand - they're anthills, and the little buggers BITE!

Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
That's why I feel safe leaving my bike at the track, a number of racers camp there so you don't have to worry about outsiders messing with your equipment. The folks who camp out there keep a good watch on things at the track.
ECTA 200 Club