Author Topic: What a terrible way to end the year at El Mirage  (Read 10216 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: What a terrible way to end the year at El Mirage
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »
It really stinks to have to come all that distance.  I was the last to run in round 1 Sat.  The wind was blowing reasonably.  Tailwind (photo to prove but don't know how to post it).  When I woke Sunday morning (6:30)I looked out the wndow and told my wife we aren't going to run today.  The wind was already blowing.  As posted above a lot of work goes into running a meet.  It too bad when it get shuts down.  A lot of effort bya lot of people gone down the drain.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »
It really stinks to have to come all that distance.  I was the last to run in round 1 Sat.  The wind was blowing reasonably.  Tailwind (photo to prove but don't know how to post it).  When I woke Sunday morning (6:30)I looked out the wndow and told my wife we aren't going to run today.  The wind was already blowing.  As posted above a lot of work goes into running a meet.  It too bad when it get shuts down.  A lot of effort bya lot of people gone down the drain.

email me the pic at stites@cox.net and I will post it for you.

Scott

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »
For those that made a run, it could have been worse.

I ran right after the Sundowner spun on the left. Prior to that the 372 had spun on the right. That left the center that had been chewed up pretty good. I hit a soft spot @ about 3/4 track and had to lift. Never got the RPM back up. Oh well.

I have a friend that helped me build the car. I was going to let him make alternate runs. He had always been worried about being able to do the "Bailout". He practiced in the pits and he felt OK about it. We were one of the last cars inspected Friday afternoon and he got out of the car with no problems. He was asking all sorts of questions on the running of the car. I knew he was ready. Then came Sunday with no EMT.  As the winds picked up and the EMT arrived it was obvious we were out of luck. The SCTA made the right call on delaying the start. Can you imagine the problems if there had been an incident without the proper coverage.

Oh well, back to the "TO DO" list for May.

Tom

Offline Cadroadster

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
Here I am, a newbie. Kind of an old newbe,but a newbe never the less. Sure would like to try and go fast with the rest of you guys, but what I would like to try and go fast in would make all of you laugh so hard you would lose your breath. was interested in Stan Back guarding empty warehouses at Ft. Riley. I sure did a bunch of that in 64 and 65.
           Cadroadster

Offline Mac

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 11:25:49 PM »
I sat on the start line as a rookie (2nd up cause hubby ran 1st round) in Oct and the meet was cancelled due to winds. I sat on the start line, still a rookie (2nd up again) in Nov - and the course closed and moved - Saturday. Did the same on Sunday - suited up, strapped in ready to go and the course was closed due to winds. You want to talk about hard luck!

This time I am building my OWN car so I can run first round!

Mac

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
Whatayamean?  Sounds like you got some seat time!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 01:07:38 PM »
and i think you will have to go to rookie orientation may 16 friday --- and no new cars teched on race day ---see you in the rookie line on may 17        sheri buchta

Offline Mac

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »
"and i think you will have to go to rookie orientation may 16 friday --- and no new cars teched on race day"
Apparently I don't "have" to go to rookie orientation - after all I have done it twice and have the sticker to prove it, but I probably will. Its always good to get your head around the whole thing and there is no replacement for being "talked" through, as we go down the course at the end of the orientation.
As for the car, yeah, I'll line it up with the rest, though I think it goes in a "special" line so it can be gone over. We will probably have it gone over before that though - just to make sure we haven't left out anything silly before the big day.

"Whatayamean?  Sounds like you got some seat time!"
Funnily enough, it was great to sit there and get comfortable. I was told to go over the controls with my eyes shut and make sure I knew where everything was. I was definitely warmer and less dusty than everyone else!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:17:10 PM by Mac »