Author Topic: roadster weights ?  (Read 15766 times)

Offline promachine

roadster weights ?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2006, 11:04:29 AM »
Roadster943, if you are running a wet sump oil system, you might
want to add 2 or 3 quarts of oil so you don`t run out at the 2 mi.
Thats the first thing lots of people learn at B-ville. :wink:

No spool for me-no spins in 11 years-247 @ B-ville-225 on the dirt :o
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline Stan Back

roadster weights ?
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 01:04:30 PM »
We're one-wheel drive with only one wake-up problem at the 4-mile a few years back with a side wind.  Noticed we were looking at the pits!  Always been able to get out of the throttle, then pull the chute.  Lots of (early) times the chute never came out, but backing out of the throttle or putting in the clutch slows the brick down so much we never knew it wasn't out.  We easily get off by the 5 3/4 without a chute.  Some times the 5 1/2.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPDRACR

roadster weights ?
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »
Roadster943,I'm with PROMACHINE all of the wet sumps we run at b-ville or el mirage a min 12 quarts of oil(I use mobile 1 syn.),my dry sump use 5 gallons of mobile 1(cheapest thin that will ever go in that motor). We do not use a spool either 217elmirage ,and wheel tach 241.at the salt. Aren't Roadsters cool.  Have fun Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline jimmy six

roadster weights ?
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »
Even tho I started with a coupe, vintage thank goodness, IMO there should only 3 classes: 'liners, lakesters & roadsters. Damn is good to have one....:)...JD.... oh yeah I forgot....... fuel only
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

Weights
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
Well J.D., its obvious your parents didn't drive a Studebaker, maybe a Kaiser, or God forbid, a bathtub Nash........... :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Weights
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 09:02:55 PM »
...although I must admit, I would love to run a slammed 50 nash on the salt.  Think about it, you could be spinning thru the lights, and set the record both ways....lol :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

roadster weights ?
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »
'29 Ford Roadster, Craeger overhead, Winfield cam, Duel down drafts, Bobbed fenders & no running boards, Chrysler grille shell, Solid hood, Chopped windshield & top, Dual exhaust down the right side. I've got pictures of the car at Muroc in 1938. Dad worked at the Western Auto in Glendale before becoming a wind tunnel model maker during the war. I was and still am one of the "lucky ones"... J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

Weights
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »
WOW!!!  I wish it was in my living room.  It would have been nice to pick your dads brain..............
Bob Drury

Offline net4n6

• New folks
roadster weights ?
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 12:04:08 AM »
I've been digging in the archives and found this post. Very interesting.

I am confused by the discussion. I understand the 'dart concept', which is a great simplification, however, everyone goes on to state that they are biased with weight to the rear: -Followed by reports of going through the traps backwards :D

If I want to go through the traps with the front tires first, should I put more weight in the front? Of course I'm being facetious. I'm reading up as much as I can, but the real world results are throwing off my physics as usual.

From what I'm seeing, a front weighed car will lose traction when hitting the 'wall', but you still need enough weight on the front to keep the backside from coming around. Am I right? And at least in roadster dynamics this means more weight on the rear.

So let me have it. Am I on the right track? How do the production class cars keep the car going forward? Maybe that should be a different topic?

Offline mstrdinan

Re: roadster weights ?
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
I've been digging in the archives and found this post. Very interesting.

I am confused by the discussion. I understand the 'dart concept', which is a great simplification, however, everyone goes on to state that they are biased with weight to the rear: -Followed by reports of going through the traps backwards :D

If I want to go through the traps with the front tires first, should I put more weight in the front? Of course I'm being facetious. I'm reading up as much as I can, but the real world results are throwing off my physics as usual.

From what I'm seeing, a front weighed car will lose traction when hitting the 'wall', but you still need enough weight on the front to keep the backside from coming around. Am I right? And at least in roadster dynamics this means more weight on the rear.

So let me have it. Am I on the right track? How do the production class cars keep the car going forward? Maybe that should be a different topic?
   I  TOO HAVE BEEN DIGGING, WE HAVE A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE D GAS ROADSTER    WHAT NOW....DO ALL THE RULES CHANGE??
           OBVIOUSLY ANY THOUGHTS WILL BE APPRECIATED

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
What year rule book do you have?

Offline mstrdinan

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
What year rule book do you have?
  got to 165 before we broke the drive
   we got that conquered (we think), however dont know whats instore at higher speeds..