Author Topic: old and naked  (Read 17074 times)

Offline hawkwind

old and naked
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:14:57 AM »
The latest creation from super cheap productions , chasing 200+ naked and hopefully be the first in Australia to do it , its based around an old school 86 ninja 1000 ,totally DIY
if it proved worthy ,I want to play with you guys 09

cheers Gary
slower than most

Offline ack

Re: old and naked
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:42:27 AM »
Hi Hawkwind

You might want to rethink the turbo intake behind the front wheel motors don‘t like salt.  Give Richard Assen a call.

Any of you coming over next year?

bak189

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »
Hey Hawk....outstanding you got Dustbins
approved on solo bikes for you people in OZ...........now get passengers approved in sidecars .......and we will come "down under"
P.S. Your bike looks great....nice paint

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
Ever thought about ditching the radiator and just running a water tank. That big radiator on the side is not very "aero". Your bike is sure neat!!! Would love to see you in 09.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
I am ALL-FOR old and naked!  Right on!

Watch that leading edge of the front fender.  Looks like it will catch some air. 

Nice bike!!
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
Ack, at first it looked like you were dead on that the intake was behind the front wheel, but in the last pic it looks like it is well left of center, maybe not enough but I cant tell from the pics.

Good advice to keep salt from the intake!

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06:19 PM »
hummmm 200 eh!... i'll be impressed if she does it.... lots of stuff hanging in the breeze... your gonna need 240 to 260 hp to push a clean open bike ta 200 and yours isnt quite aero.....im thinkin your gonna need around 300hp to push her in the current set up...the t3/t4 hybred is good for 500hp but that small crank journaled 1000 wont hold it.... especially #3 rod... she'll give it up before the 3mile mark...... get a big bearinged zx11 bottom end and replumb the crank oiling system then she'll hold almost 500hp.... my 11 bottoms lasted 6 years (about 2 hours running time). aint nothin worse than spending all that time and energy to go all the way there and have your motor take a dump before the timing traps... that motor is a time bomb.... good luck
kent

Offline bones

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 01:41:45 AM »
Hawk,
          how many projects do you have on the go??---you are a glutten for punnishment.
         looks good and close to running.Whats the rear wheel off?  not too wide.
         keep on projecting.I'm about to get serious with mine.
          cheers Bones

stayt`ie

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:12 AM »
for our american friends,,, this bike had a great history on the dragracing scene here in auzz, albeit with a different motor/turbo and back wheel,, so i wish garry all the best, as he adds another chapter to it`s life....

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:18:18 AM »
Like it alot dude. ya must have alot of spare time down under maybe I should emigrate.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 06:32:40 AM »
Thanks for the constructive comments  :-D
Ack ,there is interest in prolly 6/10 of us comming over in 09 for bub and world of speed as these are close to each other .
point taken on the turbo inlet ,it is offset by a couple of inches and a much more enclosed front guard is to be fitted , I also have a filter pod if salt injestion proves a problem.
Rex the radiator was added as practical concideration , I wanted to run a water tank , experimented with one one this motor last year and it worked a treat . but space was at a premium , looked at making a chin fairing come water tank ,but concensus was this constituted streamlining, its running methanol and I will monitor the water temps ,if they stay low I will try running without the radiator  ,its all a case of getting it to the big white dyno and logging data to see what can be changed or altered .
Kent that was a good estimate on the hp figure , my calcs came up with 300+ HP for 210mph ,there is not much left of the stock internals and everything has been beefed up to run at a higher HP level , Im well aware of the problem with the oiling system and #3 in particular ,  extensive surgery has been carried out in that area , Im hoping it will support 350 HP ,time will tell I spose , has run with a 150 shot of nitrous and survived to fight another day ,there is new body work to be fitted yet which I hope will help with aero
bones ,its a CBR1000F wheel  170x17 tyre 
thanks for the comments one and all
gary

slower than most

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
What's happening with the Bus' in the background Gary?..is it lake-bound too?.....I'm still having trouble getting over the title of this thread...sponge bath anyone? :-D

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:34:52 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 10:33:27 PM »
Its funny how everybody notices something different in the pics. What I saw that I really liked was the trials bike in the background. Is that a Gas Gas or similar? I used to compete in trials before land speed racing and it was a blast. Unreal what can be done with one of those things...

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 04:59:28 AM »
Rocky the trials bike is a spanish sherco 250cc  :-D well Im a surprised person tonight my first attempt at producing a fuel injection  map from scratch was a success ,filled the bike with some freash alky and Ill be buggered it started and ran , is pig rich and will not idle but I now can tune it in a little better and then do some dyno time to get it running sweet  :-D
Gary
slower than most

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 11:11:24 PM »
How did you end up figuring out the pulse widths?  Was Scott any help?
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010