Author Topic: Takin' the little bus to Bonneville  (Read 16962 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Takin' the little bus to Bonneville
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
Boxrod --

Time Only vehicles at SpeedWeek may be in jeopardy.

And I hope you understand that entering in a class means that you must build to the safety regulations that are appropriate for the particular class that you enter (tires, fire system, etc.).

I think this is why DW suggests WofS.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »
Boxrod --

Time Only vehicles at SpeedWeek may be in jeopardy..................
Stan

Hey Stan this is the second time I've seen this come up.  So if it happens it would be Speed Week only and not World Finals??

I'm just starting to build a new motor for my truck to hopefully run well over 150 with it, but it would have to be time only.  As long as I could still do that at WOS or World Finals that would work, but if not there is no reason to be going to 2 turbos.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 02:30:57 PM »
Sum --

I'm only guessing -- something's got to go sometime and that might be it.

And I would think (but don't know) that a Time Only turboed pickup would have to meet the safety requirements of a Blown Modified Pickup in the similar displacement class, even if the body and such did not meet class specs.

Perhaps Dan or JD could enlighten us on this.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »

I'm just starting to build a new motor for my truck to hopefully run well over 150 with it, but it would have to be time only.  As long as I could still do that at WOS or World Finals that would work, but if not there is no reason to be going to 2 turbos.
c ya,
Sum

Doncha need that much HP to drag your little house around?  There is always 130 and 150 club, all that fire and parachute stuff will be on your lakester.  Are you thinking you need to run more than 1 vehicle next year? 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
...........................And I would think (but don't know) that a Time Only turboed pickup would have to meet the safety requirements of a Blown Modified Pickup in the similar displacement class, even if the body and such did not meet class specs.........

Oh it will have landspeed tires on it, chute, cage, belts, seat, fire ext., etc. and will have everything needed safety wise for a 250+mph car/truck.  It won't go that fast of course, but with 625 to 675 hp I'm hoping for over 200.

Doncha need that much HP to drag your little house around?  There is always 130 and 150 club, all that fire and parachute stuff will be on your lakester.  Are you thinking you need to run more than 1 vehicle next year?

No the truck won't run next year, one at a time.  The motor won't have turbo's on it at first anyway.  I'll start with a carb, then try and FI it with Megasquirt for a learning experience, and then when that is working put the turbos on it.  I do hope to run it at Maxton in the spring in the 130/135 mph class.  I just hauled a bock and crank to the machinist.  A lot of the safety equipment from the lakester will go on it so only one or the other would run at a meet.  The lakester comes first thought, I'm just building this motor out of good stuff so it will work with the turbos.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »
Hey Sum:

Don't you think it might be a bit embarrassing if the tow vehicle's faster than the race car!

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »
Hey Sum:

Don't you think it might be a bit embarrassing if the tow vehicle's faster than the race car!

Pete

At least that would put you in good company with Andy Green last year when the big tractor passed the streamliner when it wouldn't  go...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 11:46:10 PM »
Hey Sum:

Pete

I'll be happy if either one is ever fast,

Sum

Offline Freud

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 12:31:58 AM »

Boxrod.............

Are you racin' or stylin"?

If you are racin', before you pay your entry fee, look this dude up in the parking lot of Motel 6. Chose him off and see how you do.

Oh I know, he doesn't have any sponsors ....................but he would probably try you anyhow.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 12:34:14 AM »
I'll post the engine fotos one at a time. My files are too large.
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:10 AM »
He certainly is a soft spoken man.......with a huge tool.

Good Luck.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 01:27:56 AM »
Freud,

That Bus is bad azz... 8-)

Offline Freud

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »
Nooner..............
He was just pulling out to drive that puppy back to Illinois, as I remember, just like when he drove it out. It sure as hell wasn't a trailer queen. At that time gas was about $2.85 and he admitted that the gear he was pullin kept his R's up pretty good and so his gas stops were very adequate for his kidney relief. He also said that frequently someone would want to try him on the road and that just got him to the next gas quite a bit earlier.
That was one damned serious race car and the workmanship was excellent.

You never know when you will chose a killer sleeper.

FREUD
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:44:18 PM by Freud »
Since '63