Author Topic: How OLD can my tires be  (Read 9231 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: How OLD can my tires be
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »
"We're Sorry - The page you requested may no longer exist on www.racegoodyear.com."

More a statement on how quickly links change. I couldn't find the link you mentioned but the Frontrunner Eagle Land Speed info is still available.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
 :-) Thanks for all the input. Availability at this time was my primary concern. I intend to get my tires from Carter-Maxwell in OK as soon as my size is available again. Jerry Maxwell said they ran out of stock in August and haven't had any come in yet.  :-( Anyway, I will store the tires like GoodYear recommends. :wink:

Does anyone out there have a used 21"x4"or5"x15" AND a 23"x4"or5"x15" Goodyear Land Speed Tires  :? (need just one each that will hold air) I need them for the front and rear of my streamliner bike.

Thanks,

Terry A. Hume
ctracing@earthlink.net
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 04:41:24 PM »
I know that we love the stories of 27+ year old tyres being 'trimmed' for use when the reinforcement starts to show through the surface rubber, but the events here in the UK last year focused on tyre age - even though it was not a factor in the accident that occured at 280 mph. 

Tyres or the materials they are made from have a life - be they road or track.  Know the age of production (which may be some years before the purchase date) and do not use them beyond the stated period would be the health and safety ruling. 

Shipping methods, handling, mounting, storage and 'running in' are all factors that can affect the speed capability.  A brief chapter in the Dieselmax book (search Amazon) tells us how JCB went about protecting Andy Green.

Tyres are a small percentage of the cost of most vehicles so do not play cheap with the only contact between you and the salt.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 06:07:30 PM »
All tires are not equal. Goodyear LSR tires look the same as Goodyear Front Runner Drag tires. The big difference is in the number of plys. The LSR tire has six plys in the sidewalls, thus the price difference from the cheaper Front Runners.

Tom

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 09:53:11 PM »
If this topic isn't about dead, Goodyears' website seems to currently be  racegoodyear.com and if you forage around you'll find the current cataloged landspeed tires after the drag race front runners and before the sports compact drag sizes.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »
Availability - sad fact and good point.  Go to Sumner's link to GOODYEAR EAGLE LANDSPEED TIRES in his Lakester build up diary, click on it, and you get the following -

"We're Sorry - The page you requested may no longer exist on www.racegoodyear.com."

It is fixed now with the right (new) link.  The link is on my lakester pages and also on my "links" page:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillelinks.htm

Sum