Poll

Should SCTA get rid of the reserved numbers 1-25, that are awarded to the top 25 point earning vehicles that run El Mirage?

No, don't change anything.
26 (72.2%)
Yes, give them away since no one uses them.
3 (8.3%)
Only keep 1-10 and give the rest away.
5 (13.9%)
No, but make the top 25 vehicles use the numbers awarded the next year.
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: January 05, 2008, 02:39:25 PM

Author Topic: SCTA Numbers 1-25  (Read 10160 times)

Offline desotoman

SCTA Numbers 1-25
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
The SCTA reserves the numbers 1-25 for the top 25 vehicles that compete for the yearly El Mirage Championship. In the last few years with the institution of Log books etc., very few if any (except for the number 1) use the number the next year. Is it time to get rid of the reserved numbers? What are your opinions?

Thanks,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: SCTA Numbers 1-25
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:17:31 PM »
They earned them, if they want 'em they will use 'em, if not, maybe the #25 next year will want and use his...
BTW, who really wants to break the tradition, as a BNI member we get last pick of the numbers anyway....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:31:37 PM »
my first race was may 07 at el mirage --i think my start number was 242  i was lucky to be in the rookie lane --i have never missed a race and at every race my start number has gotten smaller it is now number 15 --i have worked very hard to get where i am--my goals this year were to learn the ropes -make every race and maybe set a record--i have had some good luck and some bad -at one meet i ran 129.650 on a 130 record at another meet i ran 126 with a 15 mph head wind -air speed 141 ground speed 126-that is all part of the learning curve-if i can finish number 15 this year it will be an honor to have it on my bike in 08 --                                       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:26:22 PM »
You got it Willie.  If you want it, you should have it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:30:49 AM »
And the benefit from the change would be..............? :roll:
Also the triple / same digit system for liners is only good for 9 entries and it is a shame to see it go , but it isn't coming back.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
First let me say I don't care one way or the other, and I cast my vote for keeping numbers 1-10 and freeing up the rest. That to me would seem logical, since most people only care about the top 10 anyway.

It seem pointless to me to have numbers 1-25 reserved yet never used. Just look back in the results for El Mirage and see how many of these numbers are used each year. This year at all of the lakes meets conducted so far only #1 and #1B have been used. In the 2006 El Mirage season from what I can find no one used any of the numbers 1-25 on any car or bike entry forms. I could not look back any further since the archives for El Mirage are not working.

Times change. Most people want to be associated by their car or bike number they end up having for years, not a number they have been awarded for one year. Most people look up friends and competitors vehicles in the results by the vehicle number they are familiar with, not one they were just given for a year.

This is the first poll I have done, and it has been fun. I will do more in the future.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »
Hey, Stainless -- what do you mean that BNI members get last pick of the numbers?  I've never had to wait when I've called Chuck to request a number -- whether the wait would be for him to tell me the number's not available, or for him to tell me that my requested # is now MINE.  I haven't done any number-changing for a year or two -- certainly not since I joined Gear Grinders.

Maybe, of course, it's because I'm also in other clubs -- Engineer's Club, for instance.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:57 PM »
tom maybe you should read the results of your poll--if you dont want to know dont ask  --i myself like the i - 25 number thing --its kind of like a gold star or a pat on the back  thanks  williebuchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 11:34:13 PM »
tom --i myself like the i - 25 number thing --its kind of like a gold star or a pat on the back  thanks  williebuchta

Willie,

I am glad you do, and also glad that you would use the number. If more people like you would use them I would not have started this poll. I am having fun with this and hope you are too. Heck I don't even know how many of the people that voted are even an SCTA member. LOL. Good luck at El Mirage this weekend. I will try to look you up and introduce myself.

Tom G.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:01:43 AM »
Why do people always want to change something. The last thing we have is tradition and the SCTA is steeped in it. Anyone who wants to change something, add a rule, change a rule, etc: has a personal agenda's....What's yourz
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

bak189

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »
Leave the number BS, alone.......I would think you people within the SCTA Clubs, have a lot BIGGER things to worry about..............it works fine as is.....
does not effect anybody...............get to the important stuff.............................................................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 12:35:05 AM »
i will be at el mirage -i usually camp about 1/8 mile east of tech --i have a big white mailbox that has WILLIE  SHERI  349B  in front of my camp  please stop and see us  willie and sheri    will be there fri sat & sun
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 12:54:47 AM »
Tom was just demonstrating the "Barking Dog Syndrome".
One dog barks and soon another dog barks and before you know it, all the dogs are barking and none of the others know why, and the first one has already forgotten.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 12:51:20 AM »
well the race season is over -now i got to get to work -i have to build 6 bikes before next may--1 for me  1 for my wife  and 4 for customers --i was trying to finish in the top 25 this year--i made a good run last saturday and moved from 15th to 9th so next year i am very proud to say my bike will be # 9 strange thats my wifes luckey number--i have had way too much fun this year and have met some of the greatest people anywhere--the memorys will last forever --you are all a very special group of people and i thank you for letting me share this last 7 months with you all--looking forward to next year   thanks willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 12:55:26 AM »
well the race season is over -now i got to get to work -i have to build 6 bikes before next may--1 for me  1 for my wife  and 4 for customers --i was trying to finish in the top 25 this year--i made a good run last saturday and moved from 15th to 9th so next year i am very proud to say my bike will be # 9 strange thats my wifes luckey number--i have had way too much fun this year and have met some of the greatest people anywhere--the memorys will last forever --you are all a very special group of people and i thank you for letting me share this last 7 months with you all--looking forward to next year   thanks willie buchta

Hey good to meet you guys this weekend and have fun on the bike builds,

Sum