Author Topic: >1000cc M/C choice for Salt?  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Re: >1000cc M/C choice for Salt?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
Dean, the records you quote are SCTA records. This is the BUB section and we only deal with AMA and FIM records here.

Offline SGVridgerunner

• New folks
  • SCREAM!! <Shift> BIGGER SCREAM!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
This is tough because there is such a huge difference between a GSXR1000 and a Busa, but I would try to sway you toward a first gen Busa. To me, it's the perfect all-around bike. The LSR and drag racing is a given, but people don't give it enough credit in the track/canyons/touring catagory.

I've blown by 600's on the outside during track days on my Busa (on touring tires), I've put in 500+ mile days without any fatigue and it's all So. Cal canyons, and it gets ~45-50 mpg.

FYI - I picked up my mint 2000 Busa with 4,400 (not a typo) miles for $5,500 last year. In comparison, I have yet to find a decent 600 for less than that let alone a 1000. The problem is, all the squids and new riders go for the sport bikes, especially 600 and 1000's because they are cool, plus they're a little intimidated by the Busa. That will probably change in the next few years as more younger people (like myself) can afford them now.

Get a Busa, you won't regret it.
"If it requires a helmet, it's probably fun!!"
El Mirage record: 207.184 - 1350 APS-G
Dirty 2 club member
Mojave Mile 2-club member
Mojave Magnum 2-club member

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »
Another often-overlooked reason that younger riders choose the smaller-displacement bikes - is that the insurance companies rate them by displacement and charge more per bigger bike.  I've often wondered if this is why so many motors are manufactured just a hair under the next hundred (i.e. 599 cc, 998cc, etc) so that the insurance company would rate them as a 500 or a 900 (for these two examples).

Anyway, young riders commonly have very high insurance rates, so buying a small-motored ride makes economic sense to them.  If you're not going to license the bike -- use it for track/Bonneville/El Mirage only -- then feel free to ignore this post.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 11:00:19 PM »
The fastest 1000cc records at Bonneville (Amo) and ECTA (Shammas) are on Kawasakis. Just a thought  :-D