Author Topic: Need Fuel Pump Advice from You Motorcycle guys..........  (Read 8524 times)

racin jason

Re: Need Fuel Pump Advice from You Motorcycle guys..........
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 03:07:25 AM »
pm sent sum.

landracing

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 09:19:10 AM »
Sumner,

Why go with a secondary set of injectors. Why not size the injectors properly for the amount of HP you want with the turbo. With a good EFI unit you can tune the drivability. And have a map for NA and Turbo. This eliminates a secondary set of injectors and one good fuel pump for a application. simplify the system to one set all around.

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »
Sumner,

Why go with a secondary set of injectors. Why not size the injectors properly for the amount of HP you want with the turbo. With a good EFI unit you can tune the driveability. And have a map for NA and Turbo. This eliminates a secondary set of injectors and one good fuel pump for a application. simplify the system to one set all around.

Jon

Good point and I haven't made a final decision yet, but some of the reason I might go with secondaries at this point is the expense.  I could learn in baby steps and use the stock computer along with a megasquirt for the added fuel.  I want to run megasquirt on my pickup and other vehicles and it is the most economical FI system I can go with that is also pretty versatile.

Jason thanks for the PM.

Kent I'm getting as far as El M this weekend but I won't venture any closer to LA/San Diego than that.  Are there any back roads down to the lobsters. If you get a chance would you PM me Bob Moreland's phone number today (forget the number I got a hold of him) and remind me when I see you to talk about the pump/chain cooling.  I'll leave in the morning.

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:20:31 PM by Sumner »

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 12:35:26 PM »
Jon,
    People runs secondaries because it is the easy thing to do. You buy  the plenum and the piggyback computer and you can get your extra fuel. Stock throttle bodies don't usually accept the type of injector that is required for the power. Stock Hayabusa injectors are good to about 300Hp when you run lots of fuel pressure and increase teh duty cycle. The next step up is Honda CBR1100XX injectors and those are good to a little higher maybe 330Hp not entirely sure as not a lot of people run em. The next step up is Honda S2000 injectors. Those are big, can go to 400Hp maybe. You run em at 28psi at idle because they are so big and you can only take so much fuel out of the stock computer using a power commander. So low end driveability suffers. Not a big deal in this arena but a killer on the street. All those injectors fit the stock throttle bodies on a Busa. Any more power than that and you are gonna need secondaries or a stand alone.
    A stand alone can tune and trim large injectors to run well even down low on the street. A stand alone has a relatively higher cost, unless you go megasquirt, and requires a lot of time and energy to put together, get all the sensors working, tune, troubleshoot etc. etc.
    If you use secondaries you get to turn your fuel pressure back to normal, and let the stock injectors do the work at low load, which make the bike run like stock down low. The secondaries are programed to come on under positive boost. The secondary computer can be mapped for varying levels of boost so you can change it without changing your tune. A stage one rising rate fmu system can only vary a couple of psi on boost before you need to really change the tune on it.
    So a stand alone is best, but if you don't want to mess with spark control and cam position sensors and all that jazz then a set of secondaries is cheaper and easier. The end power ends up being the same, but stand alones tend to have logging and such.