Author Topic: Need Fuel Pump Advice from You Motorcycle guys..........  (Read 8526 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Need Fuel Pump Advice from You Motorcycle guys..........
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »
I'm getting close to trying to get the 750 Suzuki engine I have running.  I have the engine, GSXR-750 from a wrecked bike, but not a fuel pump.  I would like to buy a pump and a boost referenced regulator that would work with the un-blown motor now and eventually work with a blown 'busa motor.

I'm thinking if the pump is over sized now and has a regulator and big enough return lines to the tank that I could run a large pump on this small, 125 hp, motor now and the larger one in the future on the Hayabusa.  Any thoughts??

All the motor options will be fuel injected.  I'll either make the tank or buy one and I don't want an in-tank pump.

So any recommendations on a pump and regulator???

Thanks,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

Re: Need Fuel Pump Advice from You Motorcycle guys..........
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »
Sum, I have used both an MSD fuel pump and now a Bosch 044 pump for my turbo bike. For a boost referenced regulator I use an Aeromotive, got the MSD and Aeromotive from Summit Racing,Bosch 044 from a fellow off the Hayabusa board.For big I'd go with the Bosch. Seems like the pump of choice for the Turbo Busa boys and Dave Dahlgren recommended it,I got a back-up spare from him.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »
sum Bosch 044 for the fuel pump ,just make sure you have the battery capacity as its a hungry user of current
In Aust we use the Malapassi  FMU  remember they come in different ratios for non turbo use a 1:1 for turbo  1.7:1
in my case Im using alky so for the HP generated I have to run 2X 044,s and 2x FMU
cheers
gary
slower than most

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:44:27 PM »
I used these:

Cheaper than aeromotive and (from what I could find) was better suited to run different fuels if I chose to run something other than gas. Also the pump can be rebuilt and they offer individual parts online (not saying the others dont).

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2D5110FI&N=700+4294839053+400249+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2D4305M&N=700+4294839053+400249+115&autoview=sku
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

landracing

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »
Bosch 044 pump and Aeromotive bypassing regulator.
Another reason to plumb these into your lakester Sum is they are highly used with Busa and other turbo guys on the salt. You can keep a backup or there will be one you can find somewhere on the salt if needed in a hurry. They are very durable and are trouble free.

Jon

racin jason

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:35:27 PM »
bosch 044 and aeromotive bypass reg on four busas in the garage.  do it once and you are good for 500+hp.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:03:27 AM »
sum
I have 2 of the bosch pumps and 2 aeromotive regs on the liner.....
highly recomended...as jon said, wouldnt be a problem finding a replacement in a pinch...hey, are ya finally to the plumbing stage of your buid?
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
Thanks guys, just the info I was looking for.  I guess I'll follow the crowd and get the 044 pump and Aeromotive regulator.

I am curious about one thing.  Are none of you running over 20 lbs. of boost??  Looks like with the Aeromotive going to 63 lbs. that with a base psi around 43-44 that with 20 lbs of boost and having it boost referenced the 63 would limit your to 20 lbs..

I guess after that you could add more fuel with the injector duty cycle.

The Mallory that Jonny recommended goes to 100 psi if I remember right.  I can't see me with 20 lbs of boost anytime soon or maybe ever, so the Aeromotive looks like the way to go since they are so popular.

Kent I hope to be done with the front end in a few days depending of if I go to El M or not.  Then I've been thinking about trying to start the motor and see if it actually runs and I know what to do to get it running.  I've been working hard not sitting around drooling over lobster and a cold beer .

Love you too ,

Sum

racin jason

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »
i have used the aeromotive to 30+ psi on the dyno and it still works 1:1

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:03:26 PM »

Could it be that you can dial in up to 63 lbs. initial and it will still go up 1:1 from there???

Sum

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »
Sumner most stage one turbos with FMU run a 6:1 begi type regulator. So at initial of 43, you get 6-7 more psi for every pound of boost. It can go up over 100 pretty quick. I am not up on what LSR guys are running but most people on the street running more than 15#'s of boost are running secondaries. Shower type injectors in the top of the bonnet that are run on a piggy back computer like a micro tech, megasquirt, etc. etc. Some folks are running standalone computers, like megasquirt, or what is that real expensive one???? hmm can't remember.

racin jason

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 05:05:40 PM »

Could it be that you can dial in up to 63 lbs. initial and it will still go up 1:1 from there???

Sum
we ran 90psi on a turbo honda bike at idle so it's possible!
the busa runs 42psi at idle. we run secondary injectors with a 1:1 reg. the begi rising rate regulators are a crude band-aid for a fuel system.
if you are going to do a  turbo: bosch 044 pump, 1:1 regulator, seconadry injectors between 550cc -750cc and a microtech secondary controller.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »

Sum
we ran 90psi on a turbo honda bike at idle so it's possible!
the busa runs 42psi at idle. we run secondary injectors with a 1:1 reg. the begi rising rate regulators are a crude band-aid for a fuel system.
if you are going to do a  turbo: bosch 044 pump, 1:1 regulator, seconadry injectors between 550cc -750cc and a microtech secondary controller.

Thanks Jason and Wayno.   That is good info.  I plan on using a megasquirt.  Do you have any feel for injector sizes for secondary ones if I turbo the 750??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 01:56:53 AM »
Sweetheart... ummmm i mean Sum
i'm not sure what bosch pump i use but i run 70psi at idle... my bosch pump has threaded bungs at both ends so i can use -6 fittings.... a lot of the bosch pumps i see only have a threaded fitting on the outlet side and have a slip fit barb on the inlet side.. i use one of those pumps for my drive chain water pump... come on out, i just need a small reason to to pull my finger out of my nose and go get some lobster..
kent